Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen replica tomohawks with peace pipe bowls. The handle is hollowed out and a metal tube inserted. Are they strong enough to use as a tomohawk? Hacking limbs for firewood n shelter, quartering game... Not a fan of smoking out of metal, but hey, in a pinch... Never know when the papers are gonna get wet ;) Thanks in advance

·
survivalist
2,462 Posts
Well as with everything, it depends on who made it and how it's made.I have made several and have has no problems.Some keys are to use a strong wood to start with(white oak,hickory)and keep the tube a small diameter.The small tube hinders smoking,but really how many times are you going to use it? Also remember the head has to be secured to the shaft with something to prevent an air leak.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hello. Interesting subject.
Pardon my butting in.
Is 'sharing smoke' still happening? I'm speaking of legal smoke of course.
I was invited once to pass the pipe by some Cherokee folks. I found it a very nice gesture and a privilege. It was a significant event for me.
Also, in the 'old days', was tobacco used or some other commonly available plants?
Thanks.

·
Indefatigable
21,096 Posts
A traditional Cherokee myself, it chaps my a** to hear someone refer to a bowl they are not going to use for a spiritual purpose as a "peace pipe" please, show some respect for those who's pipe is a religious sacrament. Smoke what you want, out of whatever you want, just don't confuse the 2.
Wsierra - I am glad to know that you have enjoyed my cousins hospitality, and yes, other things have been used for the pipe, the most common being red willow bark.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense Jojo. Didnt know what else to call it other than a bowl. Out west its mullein, San Juan (wild) tobacco or kinnikinic, a type of manzanita. My wife and daughter are part Cherokee. I've seen Hudson Bay replicas, look pretty nice- but kinda 'wimpy' for axe use. Think an axe for an axe, and a pipe for a pipe. Having both is a pipe dream... Freedom isnt free with politics, religion, and other differences dividing us. To each their own.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Personally? I'd rather have a home made pipe, than a pipe 'hawk. Pipe 'hawks IMO are more for show. I've made a fairly decent pipe from a Sycamore limb where the dead branch left a knot hole going in the branch. Carve that out with a pocket knife, use a metal rod(coat hanger or such) heated to poke the air hole in the stem. Be sure to char the bowl BEFORE you smoke from it, otherwise you are going to get a serious wood taste.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
A traditional Cherokee myself, it chaps my a** to hear someone refer to a bowl they are not going to use for a spiritual purpose as a "peace pipe" please, show some respect for those who's pipe is a religious sacrament. Smoke what you want, out of whatever you want, just don't confuse the 2.
Wsierra - I am glad to know that you have enjoyed my cousins hospitality, and yes, other things have been used for the pipe, the most common being red willow bark.
Thank you. I have never heard of red willow bark. Now I will have to look into that.
The smoke that I shared was most likely tobacco. It was a very solemn occasion and I treated it as such.
My great grand mother on my father's side was Cherokee. I never met her but have heard wonderful stories about her. She lived in the hills of Kentucky, lived off the land, lived a simple life, was cheerful and hospitable (if she had food, YOU had food), and carried a revolver all her life. I would have loved to have met her. No, I'm so far removed that I do not consider myself Cherokee, but I appreciate and repect the ceremony.
Thanks for the reply. I do not smoke now, nor does my son, but I would like to share the experience with him. Any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts