Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks , I need a little advice on a potential trade. Do any of you know what a S&W 40VE with the original case and 600 rounds of ammo , with two 14rd clips and a Unclemikes clip-on holster would be worth? The pistol is in near mint condition ( I know the original owner ) and has had less than two full boxes of ammo run through it.
I was even there when it was run through it, the pistol preformed great and was accurate too. Im just not too big on knowledge when it comes to pistols, but I know some of you will have some answers for me. This particular pistol is the only 40 cal Ive ever shot.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
It's a Smith and Wesson Sigma; basically their poor attempt at a Glock. Results may vary as my brother had one and it was a POS due to being inherently inaccurate and having a poor point of aim vs. point of impact. If you've tried it yourself, then it may be OK.
Value? New locally, a Sigma can be had for $300 USD. Used with that much ammunition, I wouldn't part with over $325 or so. Sigma's just don't hold their value because of a poor reputation for quality.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Sigma's just don't hold their value because of a poor reputation for quality.
Older Sigmas had some quality issues, but those issues have been virtually eliminated. I have had the 9mm(SW9VE) and .40cal (SW40VE), and have been happy with their performance, 25 yard accuracy ,no FTF's and no quality problems. They are the best pistols on the market FOR THE PRICE.Sigmas are listed as entry level pistols ,if you want a Glock ,throw down an extra $250. I have been just as happy with my sigmas as with my higher priced pistols.

To answer the OP's question : You should get $200-$250 for the gun w/holster. The 600rds of ammo value depends on the brand and type, example;target ball or hollowpts.,ammo prices are constantly rising so you may want to hold on to it. P.S. I would hold off on selling the sigma as well ,since S&W currently has a $50 rebate in effect.

·
Banned
59 Posts
It's a Smith and Wesson Sigma; basically their poor attempt at a Glock.
I own one of them and am very happy with it. In relation to the gun being a poor attempt at a Glock. It must not of been too poor of an attempt since Glock sued S&W, and won over the pistol's design. S&W paid an undisclosed amount, in the millions to keep the design. I have a Glock 22 in 40cal also and the guns are so similar on the inside it's scary. Simple design, just like a Glock and mine has never failed to fire. Price new was $325 with (2) 14 round clips and a rebate from S&W for $50 and two more 14 rounders.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I don't own one but have fired one at the range, no failures, but only fired 50-60 rounds. I prefer the Springfield XD40 sub compact (my CCW) and my S&W M&P 9MM compact. Target 40 cal FMJ is about $30 a 100 at Wal Mart here in Florida. I would make an offer in the $325 to $350 range. I am sure it will go up in value shortly based on Obama/Biden comments to ban all guns and to raise the tax on ammo by 500%

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
I have two new ones. One for the wife and one for a standby. I have shot hundreds of hot 147gr loads through both. Nary a FTF. Not the greatest trigger in the world but I can consistantly hit a 6" gong at 25 yards. My wife's has factory tritium sites, I want to trade her but she says NO. :xeye:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's a Smith and Wesson Sigma; basically their poor attempt at a Glock. Results may vary as my brother had one and it was a POS due to being inherently inaccurate and having a poor point of aim vs. point of impact. If you've tried it yourself, then it may be OK.
Value? New locally, a Sigma can be had for $300 USD. Used with that much ammunition, I wouldn't part with over $325 or so. Sigma's just don't hold their value because of a poor reputation for quality.
The SW40VE is not the same Sigma that gets the bad rap for unreliability and quality. I and everyone I know who owns one of the new models is completely happy with the way it handles and the quality of the gun.

The stigma attached to the gun due to internet forum bashing against the original Sigma, actually works in a buyer's favor, since the price I paid for mine brand new was $299, and THEN a $50 mail in rebate, as WELL as 2 additional mags via mail in rebate..

Now I believe that the going rate for a brand new one is the same $299, but with only the $50 mail in rebate OR the two additional mags.

If I really needed the extra rounds, I don't hesitate to bring the SW40VE with me in place of my Kimber 45 cal UCII..

·
Banned
59 Posts
The SW40VE is not the same Sigma that gets the bad rap for unreliability and quality. I and everyone I know who owns one of the new models is completely happy with the way it handles and the quality of the gun.

The stigma attached to the gun due to internet forum bashing against the original Sigma, actually works in a buyer's favor, since the price I paid for mine brand new was $299, and THEN a $50 mail in rebate, as WELL as 2 additional mags via mail in rebate..

Now I believe that the going rate for a brand new one is the same $299, but with only the $50 mail in rebate OR the two additional mags.

If I really needed the extra rounds, I don't hesitate to bring the SW40VE with me in place of my Kimber 45 cal UCII..
Like I said before, I am very pleased with mine. It shoots great and never have had any problems with the gun after nearly 2000 rounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i hope i am not bothering anyone with an old thread, but regarding the smith and wesson sigma, great pistol. Nver have had a problem with mine, as long as you do your part. i have one of the earlier generation and it has always been reliable

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had one of these pistols and loved it. Sold it to buy an FNP-40 (upgraded). The SW40VE was a great pistol for me. Never a jam or misfire. You cant beat it for the money.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My first semi-auto pistol is the SW40VE and I have put near a thousand rounds through it with zero failures. It has digested every single cartridge I have fed it, both factory and reloads, and hasn't even thought about hiccuping.
I like it so much I bought the M&P40C as another carry gun. I like Smith and Wessons!:thumb:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I purchased a SW40VE a couple of months ago and did not like the trigger. I sent it off two weeks ago under warranty and got a full polish and they replaced the striker spring. Took it down to around 6 pounds. I decided to try the trigger mods offered up on youtube and other gun sites and found it to be a breeze. I am not a gun smith and never will be and this was so simple "A Cave Man Could Do It" lol. I removed the bottom spring on the trigger mechanism and replaced the outer spring on the trigger with one that i found in my collection of pens under the seat of my truck. I found a spring that was a little lighter than the factory spring and exactly the same length. 10 minutes from start to finish. I put 100 rounds through it last night and this is a totally different gun from where I started. Smooth pull, about 4-5lbs. I am not a good shot and I hit a 10" target near center every shot at 10 yards. At 50 yards, I put 5 out of 10 shots on the 8 x 11" paper target. VERY VERY GOOD SHOOTING for me! Once the polish was completed by S&W, this is now a quality, fine shooting gun and will stay with me. Next project will be the metal guide rood and 17lb. spring from Wolff Springs. No need for the 3.5lb striker spring, as this would be overkill for an every day carry.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
how about some pics of this gun? might be a good one to pick up at a gun show

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quick Question - Anyone know if there is an adjustable glock rear sight that will fit the Sigma? I have found the front site that will fit with a minute adjustment, but i have not found an answer on the rear site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my son a SW40VE for Christmas and we went shooting and he did very well with it. We shot around 100 rounds into some targets. I had my Taurus 24/7 .40 and he had the SW. I shot better over all because of experience, but when we quit I loaded his SW40VE with 5 rounds and shot a group you could cover with your thumb near center target. This was an unmodified factory peice. I liked it a lot. If I was going to buy another one now, that's what I would go with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts