Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying the .40 S&W Sigma at Academy. Anyone had any experience with one of these? They're super cheap, which is a little scary, but I figure you can trust a name like Smith And Wesson. Or am I completely wrong? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It always surprises me that people want to spend a lot of money for a product. Has the marketing propaganda in America worked that well. The sigma is not a tac driver, but for SD purposes a sigma is reliable and worthy to be bought. It does have a heavy trigger pull but that is nothing practice can't overcome. It has better ergonomics than its predecessor Glock it will serve you well in its role as a SD weapon. If you can afford better go with something with better trigger pull and I personally don't like the positon of the mag release but that is a user problem and finger placement (memory) can also be learned. If you like it get it and don't feel undergunned. Get to the range and practice.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Heavy trigger is the only negative thing about the Sigma. Unless you are a competitive shooter that should not stop you from getting this gun. And it priced right. They are not cheap if you compare Sigma to a Glock, it's Glock too expensive comparing to Sigma. FYI, it cost all $75 to make a Glock.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used a Sigma 9mm for local Practical & Tactical Hand-gunning tournaments back in 2002 and loved it. I had a gunsmith work the trigger, ejection spring, and file the ramp and the gun performed beautifully. I wish I had kept it instead of selling it to a co-worker just to see him pawn it a month later......

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Sigmas had a bad reputation. ..not sure why. Might search for a Sigma users' site & check their comments.
I've also heard all the bad comments about HiPoints. A good friend of mine cannot stop buying them! lol He loves the things and has had zero problems.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,412 Posts
The Sigma has over the years, garnered a really bad reputation. I've seen reviews from people who liked them and just as many or more from those who hated them. I'm sure that S&W would have gotten a grip on the problems by now, but who knows.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I have a sigma .40 and I like it.
Have only put 100 rds through it ,but had no FTFs or hiccups. I had no problem hitting a plate sized target at 25yrds. I had the gun shop put in a better trigger spring for $25.

Also had a sigma 9mm with same results , 100% reliable straight out of the box. A friend of mine wanted it really bad , so I sold it to him.

S&W just about always has a promotion going on of either a $50 factory rebate or 2 free factory mags which makes the Sigma even more appealing.

People are going to hate on every gun on the market , but I have nothing bad to say about either of my sigmas thus far.

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
I have two in 9mm. Both have been slicked up and have MeproLight sights. Never had a failure to feed or function. I can consistently hit a 6" gong at 25 yds with both. The original idea was to have identical pistols for SWMBO and I to carry but her arthritis is preventing her from working the slide. She switched to a Ruger LCR.

·
...be always ready...
21 Posts
Sigma

Have had one in .40 since they came out, yes heavy trigger, had mine dialed in for $65, has been a solid performer.

Simple field strip, polymer frame, SS slide, great ergonomics and its fairly compact size make for a durable, and serviceable handgun.

I have 100's of rounds down range with mine and no FTF's, not a one.

Bottom line is this gun has been maligned by Glock guys from day one, and that just attracted uninformed pilers on.

I say so be it, as it leaves lots of these pistols out there for an astute consumer like yourself... ;-)

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
Have had one in .40 since they came out, yes heavy trigger, had mine dialed in for $65, has been a solid performer.

Simple field strip, polymer frame, SS slide, great ergonomics and its fairly compact size make for a durable, and serviceable handgun.

I have 100's of rounds down range with mine and no FTF's, not a one.

Bottom line is this gun has been maligned by Glock guys from day one, and that just attracted uninformed pilers on.

I say so be it, as it leaves lots of these pistols out there for an astute consumer like yourself... ;-)
It was S&W's answer to the glock great gun for the money as others have said horrible trigger out the box.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
One fly in the ointment. If you break the striker, there aren't any out there. I have one sitting in the shop right now, and it has been there for six months. There are no replacement strikers, and it is the part that breaks.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Similar

Sounds just like a Kel-Tec P3AT.

These guns are for quick close-in self defense. They are NOT built for accuracy. They have little in the way of sights and a heavy trigger pull for saftey reasons. I would not want a hair trigger on one of these. In fact the Kel-Tec has no saftey and is strictly double action.

The P3AT is the smallest 380 (9mm) on the market now and affordable; might be something to look at. 380's have been around for a long time. It's a handfull being so lite and a LOUD little bugger with the short barrel. The sound alone would scare off an attacker if you missed them the first time.

For real accuracy in a auto-pistol you need a fixed barrel and not these hi-tech floating barrel jobs. The Walther PPK-S is way more accurate than the Kel-Tec or S&W.

:upsidedown:

·
...be always ready...
21 Posts
Ballistics

You have a broken striker huh, haven't heard of that being a particular problem to the Sigma, however I'm sure one could track it down in the rare event that did occur?

Wolf Springs make a replacement striker spring that helps with the trigger pressure.

One last observation; Listen, give me my .45 every day of the week, and I don't own a .380, but aside from the old "his .38 bounced of the guys windshield" fables, the ballistics data bears out the fact that if you drill a perp with your 9mm - or even better your .40...

...well lets just say he'd likely just committed his final act of bad decision making right there and then. ;-)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The sigma is a lot like the Mini 14....old ones had some problems, and fanboys won't let it go. I bought the M&P just to keep from catching flak from whiners. Now the change their tune to claim the M&P series is just a pretty sigma, must be tough leading such bitter lives.

As for accuracy unless you hunt with the pistol and plan on scoping it, any SD pistol is gonna be plenty accurate at 7,10 even 15 yards.

·
Crazy Old Man
3,937 Posts
I didn't hate my sigma. Its damned reliable, it just needs work to bring it up to my particular level of quality and performance.

Granted I love the pricier set ups like H&K and Kimber, but I'll NEVER shy away from a simple, cheap and reliable low end beater.

·
superstar
252 Posts
It's a Glock copy with a heavier trigger pull for a lot less money. I bought one for the wife figuring if it was a POS, big deal for $300. Turns out to be accurate as hell and after 1,000 rounds, ZERO malfunctions of any kind. Best kept secret out there.

·
Not Totally Clueless
591 Posts
Bought one - ran about 250 rounds thru it. Had several stovepipes but changed ammo and it was fine (didn't seem to like the Federal hollowpoints I was shooting). Didn't like the heavy trigger nor the perceived snappy recoil. Little bit chunky and squarish too. But that is just me. Traded it for my Springfield 45 and have been happy ever since. But my advice is always get what you feel comfortable shooting. If you don't like it and leave it home it isn't doing you any good!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have one. My second one. I sold the first for a $50 profit. Then S&W had the $50 rebate and two free mags so I bought another. The new one is black on black and came with one of the super bright flashlights including battery and spare bulb. Cost $325 with tax. I figure its $225 now with the rebate a two free mags.

The first sigmas did have problems. And I bet most of those were overblown by posters on the net. The new VE series seems to be just fine.

The trigger feels gritty when you pull it in the uncocked mode. Cocked its a little rubbery feeling to me. I have a 39-2 and the trigger on it ain't any better. I can live with it.

It has all the accuracy you could ask for in such an inexpensive gun. Mine has never failed to work in any way. I read that they were issued to the Iraqi police (IIRC) and have worked fine for them. Plus I like the rounded slide better than the square slide on the glock.

To the poster with the broke striker, will S&W not sell you a part or let you return it for repair? S&W has a great rep for taking care of their guns.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts