Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of moving on from my Gen4 Glock 19. I love the way the M&Ps feel in hand, is there anything i should know like are there any issues with the M&P platform? Would like to hear from anyone that owns a Smith & Wesson M&P series handgun. Thanks! :thumb:

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
I currently carry an M&P .45 on duty at work because I have to. Off duty I carry Glock. Specifically a G19 or a 17.

My department is transitioning to the G21 for several reasons.

M&P .45 mags suck.
1. The followers stick part way up the mags. Even with regular cleaning.

2. The little notch on the followers that activate the bolt wear and stop locking the slide to the rear when empty in as few as 200 rounds.

3. CS from Smith is non-existant

4. We have issues with pins walking on the frame. Our guns see nothing but hot hollow point ammo so take it for what it's worth.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently carry an M&P .45 on duty at work because I have to. Off duty I carry Glock. Specifically a G19 or a 17.

My department is transitioning to the G21 for several reasons.

M&P .45 mags suck.
1. The followers stick part way up the mags. Even with regular cleaning.

2. The little notch on the followers that activate the bolt wear and stop locking the slide to the rear when empty in as few as 200 rounds.

3. CS from Smith is non-existant

4. We have issues with pins walking on the frame. Our guns see nothing but hot hollow point ammo so take it for what it's worth.

Semper Fi

Is the magazine issue just with the M&P in 45?

Thank you very much for the info. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

From what I have seen, yes. It's not a widespread issue by any means but it appears that only .45 is affected. I haven't heard anything regarding the other calibers. Not saying it isn't possible, I just haven't heard otherwise.

An M&P .45 still might be worth a try for you however. I know a few people that own them that haven't had the magazine issue so it's probably a mixed bag in that regard.

For a full size, .45 handgun, I'd recommend the Glock 21. Softest shooting .45 I've ever shot.

A Walther PPQ, Sig P320, P227, and FNX are also great choices in .45. There are others as well.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts

My dept is a 550 sworn officers, plus park rangers, and a few other agencies that carry the same gun.

I personally used go carry the 9mm FS off duty and never had an issue with magazines.

Semper Fi

·
Bugged out already
4,218 Posts
I have no issues with my M&P. It's been very reliable and I've never had a FTF or other malfunction.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have an M&P45 full-size, and I have had no issues whatsoever. Never had a mag problem, even shooting multiple mags through it at the range. I used to use it as my EDC, but I bought my wife a Shield 9mm, and I liked hers so much I bought one for myself. I switched to it as my EDC, mainly because of the smaller profile and lighter weight, and now keep my .45 in my truck all the time.

I've tried Glocks, and while I have no issue with Glock quality, I hate how they feel in my hand. The M&P fits me much better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the 9mm full size and have had no issues with it, mine is an older model before the trigger updates and I don't mind the trigger at all.

My ex brother in law was issued the M&P 45 at his department and he never mentioned any issues, though they have now switched to G17s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
Tip from experience.
If you decide to trade your Glock 19 and have spare mags other than the 2 that came with the gun. Keep em. Don't include them as part of the trade.

I've had to learn that lesson a couple times now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tip from experience.
If you decide to trade your Glock 19 and have spare mags other than the 2 that came with the gun. Keep em. Don't include them as part of the trade.

I've had to learn that lesson a couple times now.

I would definitely keep them, my wife loves her Glock 19 lol. :)

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
I've always been told that S&W had top notch CS. :confused:
For individuals maybe.. not for warranty work and parts replacement for 600+ pistols.

We went through 3 regional reps that all promised all of the stuff that was in the original contract and all failed to produce. Our department is not the only one in the area to be switching from Smith but my department has used Smith since they switched from revolvers.

We are having to scavenge parts off of stock guns just to keep the issued guns running. We can't even get replacement recoil and magazine springs.

This would not be a problem for the average citizen as they can just go buy them, however, for a department on a contract it presents a big issue especially with a non-compete clause and the fact that they already paid for parts/service as part of the contract.

Semper Fi

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
Glock bribed the procurement agent, and are selling them to the agency below cost.
Actually no.. I know the procuring officer VERY well. Also the department shot the guns side-by-side with our Smith's for 6 months and accuracy with each gun for each officer was recorded. Officers also voted to switch to Glock.

Glock did offer a 1 for 1 swap for our old Smith's to sweeten the deal and our department took the opportunity to put a light on everyone's gun and get the G30 for detectives.

Semper Fi

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,591 Posts
Actually no.. I know the procuring officer VERY well. Also the department shot the guns side-by-side with our Smith's for 6 months and accuracy with each gun for each officer was recorded. Officers also voted to switch to Glock.

Glock did offer a 1 for 1 swap for our old Smith's to sweeten the deal and our department took the opportunity to put a light on everyone's gun and get the G30 for detectives.

Semper Fi

Hear that zoom? That was the oldest of the old internet rumors passing right over your head.

What I find amazing is that your agency happened to get every bad M&P 45 magazine in existence on the planet sent to them. I have four that each have well over 5000 rounds through them and still lock the slide back every time.

I'm also having a hard time believing a LE armorer worth his salt cannot find replacement springs.

Something just don't smell right here. But the agency I retired from issued Rugers, so what do I know?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 2 M&P 9s, 2 M&P 40s, a M&P 45, a 9mm Shield and a 380 Bodyguard. All have functioned flawlessly.

As for customer service, no problems. I called them up and said my Bodyguard had the Insite laser, can you send me the Crimson Trace? Sure did. Got the replacement in the mail and sent the old Insite back to them in their prepaid return mailer. No charge. Similar service when my M&P 15-22 BCG died from heavy slidefire use. Replaced quickly at no charge, no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hear that zoom? That was the oldest of the old internet rumors passing right over your head.

What I find amazing is that your agency happened to get every bad M&P 45 magazine in existence on the planet sent to them. I have four that each have well over 5000 rounds through them and still lock the slide back every time.

I'm also having a hard time believing a LE armorer worth his salt cannot find replacement springs.

Something just don't smell right here. But the agency I retired from issued Rugers, so what do I know?
On certain contracts there are clauses that limit where an agency can procure parts from. Anyone can find a spring with a simple Google search but it doesn't sound like that's the problem. Also, with 600 M&P .45s in that department with each officer probably carrying three mags, that is a MUCH larger sample size than your 4 magazines. 1800+ mags if my sub par math skills aren't failing me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts