Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
antisocial
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently learned about these things, Smart Meters
Not only is it a privacy issue but the electromagnetic radio waves they emit are terrible for all life.

Has anyone had these installed on their meters yet?

and I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed....

·
10,548 Posts
If that were true, all the folks I've known that have indoor Pot grows would be in jail.

How many Watts is your Tin-Foil Hat drawing right now???????

·
antisocial
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sleep in a faraday cage...I don't use tinfoil.

But seriously, I've heard a lot of talk about these things. They can put them on your meters without consent.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not only is it a privacy issue but the electromagnetic radio waves they emit are terrible for all life.

I've hand one for about 2 years now and had no problems. What I like about it is that I don't have any one walking on my property to read the meter any more.

My opinion is that the privacy issues are overstated. Anyone can walk up and look at the meter. The data stream only passes a device ID and the amount of power. The ID cross references to a database at the power company that ties to your account. The power company can turn the meter off but if a need existed, that can easily be bypassed (although illegal)...My personal opinion is that the privacy issues are a non-issue.

I'm a radio operator and there is no discernible increase in the noise floor on any of the amateur bands, in addition to some of the low frequency allocations, both experimental and license free. The signal levels are low and I would be more worried with all the Wi-Fi and plasma screens in your neighborhood before worrying about the data stream from the smart meter,

I'm sure there are other opinions. My comments are based strictly on my experiences here.

Mo-Go

·
Registered
861 Posts
You don't have to buy electricity from your public utility. Just tell them to take their smart meter and cut the line to your house. Get your energy supply by other means. Go off the grid and don't concern yourself about how the electric company manages their business.

Cheers!!

Kevin

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
459 Posts
there are security issues with the smart meters, mostly on them being able to be hacked. as far as anything else surveillance wise i have never heard. Most of the meters come straight from the manufacturer, mostly Itron so there is no telling what they put inside them software wise.

·
Registered
275 Posts

A bfh will fix them

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I just had a smart meter installed two weeks ago here.... I was hoping they not consider it worthwhile to do it here but ohhh well.

They always used to come out once a year and read our meter, I was always worried they would come out when I wasn't here and get bit by one of my dogs or something. At least I don't have to worry about that anymore...

·
Registered
390 Posts
We did not have a choice here. We were on vacation in NC and came back and it was installed. It does not bother me though. Gives me a better idea of what energy I am using. Has helped me to cut back in some places to reduce my bill. To bad solar panels are SO expensive. I have other things to invest my money in currently.

·
Mentally lost....
809 Posts
This is dumb... You guys have to be joking...

Half of the people who care have wireless and satellite houses with blue tooth on their faces 24/7 and cell phones never more then 2 inches from their bodies, and they cry about the dangers of radio frequencies...

Funny everyone overlooks inherit dangers of amenities but oh, god forbid they install a radio transmitter at my house that doesn't make their life easier in some way...

And pot growing? Power companies don't report usage. I know this b/c my best friend works at PG&E. Its not policy to report such information to any law enforcement agency unless the utility in question is suspected or confirmed to be stolen. (depending on state)

So if you're dumb enough to think you need to steal from someone who is willing to sell you the product at a reasonable rate without question, you will be caught for not only growing but also theft of public utilities...

So stealing power to grow pot is dumb because you increase risk of being caught and smart meters are not an attempt to crack down on growers but to inhibit growers or anyone else from stealing energy.

It might even end up saving you money on energy cost overall... Sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It might even end up saving you money on energy cost overall... Sounds reasonable to me.
Amen...If nothing else, you take a minimum wage cog out of the system that, in my experience, can't operate a 10-key in order to accurately enter my usage on the old meters... there is a huge saving there alone...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
There is a very real danger of these smart meters due to the range required for the wireless signal, thus the frequency band that it puts out is quite high.

Up here in Canada, the first generation meters were responsible for several houses burning down. After that they were replaced rather quickly.

There is argument that we shouldn't complain about these as "some" of us use bluetooth and wireless technologies already. This argument doesn't hold water as far as making it acceptable to now expose every man woman and child who lives in these houses to these detrimental effects. One should have the option to opt out of this new wireless version of the meters.

The fact that the implementation has come with such an insistence and almost a sense of urgency leads me to speculate/wonder what other functions these devices have.....?? Just my musings. There are those out there who are deliberately trying to bring the world's population down to 500 million, which means that 6 billion of us are expendable (This is in the UN mandates) So ... what does this mean exactly? I don't know, but the question is definitely worth asking.

With something this "new" the long term health effects have not yet been done. I suppose that we are all the guinea pigs for this study then...?? We really ought to be concerned about this.

The argument that it saves money is only true if you own the power company. There is no one that I know that now has lower electric bills, in fact they have all gone up... So that can't be the reason.

Personally I get nervous when people, without adequate research, start yelling "hurrah" and celebrating the advent of a new technology, when there are so many unknown variables. I also question those who are almost angry in their opposition to those who are asking these "very logical" questions. Why is there anger over the questions? Is there something that they know that we don't and they don't want us to find out? Makes you wonder..... hmm....

·
Sassy
54 Posts

You can stop them from installing these by telling them that you do not give them your permission. I know of several people who already have stopped it.

·
Johnniecomelately
177 Posts
Smart (ass) Meters

Razz, I have a smart meter here in Cherokee Nation (Eucha, Ok). We are backward in our own way but, we have Smart Meters. Go figure. REC Co-op used to come monthly to read the meters but, they don't have to now.:thumb:;)

·
Banned
472 Posts
Razz, so many better things to worry about. :upsidedown:

I've had one installed for over a year and so far the only difference is no meter reader visits. :)

·
antisocial
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a very real danger of these smart meters due to the range required for the wireless signal, thus the frequency band that it puts out is quite high.

Up here in Canada, the first generation meters were responsible for several houses burning down. After that they were replaced rather quickly.

There is argument that we shouldn't complain about these as "some" of us use bluetooth and wireless technologies already. This argument doesn't hold water as far as making it acceptable to now expose every man woman and child who lives in these houses to these detrimental effects. One should have the option to opt out of this new wireless version of the meters.

The fact that the implementation has come with such an insistence and almost a sense of urgency leads me to speculate/wonder what other functions these devices have.....?? Just my musings. There are those out there who are deliberately trying to bring the world's population down to 500 million, which means that 6 billion of us are expendable (This is in the UN mandates) So ... what does this mean exactly? I don't know, but the question is definitely worth asking.

With something this "new" the long term health effects have not yet been done. I suppose that we are all the guinea pigs for this study then...?? We really ought to be concerned about this.

The argument that it saves money is only true if you own the power company. There is no one that I know that now has lower electric bills, in fact they have all gone up... So that can't be the reason.

Personally I get nervous when people, without adequate research, start yelling "hurrah" and celebrating the advent of a new technology, when there are so many unknown variables. I also question those who are almost angry in their opposition to those who are asking these "very logical" questions. Why is there anger over the questions? Is there something that they know that we don't and they don't want us to find out? Makes you wonder..... hmm....
Thanks for this. I always wonder why people get angry when opposing things. The name calling is really infantile as well. I think the reason for this is simple, the subject, for wahtever reasons, makes them uncomfortable. They would ahve to change if they accepted what was being said. Name calling and getting ****y about something you're afraid of is a symptom of fear. Plain and simple.

There's nothing "dumb" about enquiring and sharing information. Dumb is mindlessly allowing our corrupt government and the corporations that own it to do what ever they want and charge us for it. We've witnessed their track record over and over; killing people, making profits. blablabla.

The entire wireless subject of cell phones and wifi is a perfect example. They know that microwave ovens are hazardous to our health and deplete the nutritional value of anything you place in it by 90%. Microwave ovens ahve been banned in most European countries since the 70's. They have recently begun to connect wifi and cell towers to autism and ADHD in children. They know these things are bad for the public in general yet look at the profits? They want people to be sick and die. It's our responsibilty to protect ourselvs and eachother.

Survive is right, the UN convened a long time ago about the worlds popultion issues. The planet cannot sustain it's human growth. They've devised many ways to keep population in check these plans are not working fast enough. We're also starting to get ansey and beginning to revolt. Ornery peasants. Imagine being an elitist creep and being faced with millions of angry people sucking up all the resources? Scary. Must be something like being a daycare teacher all alone with 24 children who suddenly become possessed by Satan. Not a good thing. Terrifying actually.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts