Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have ideas on the smallest backpack 2-person, 4-season tent when packed? Smallest I could find so far is the Mountain Hardwear EV 2 from REI.

I did a search for this and did not come up with anything, I am putting together a Bug-Out-Box for my truck, this mainly houses roadside emergency equipment but I am going to give 1/4 of the space to some bug-out-gear..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after some extensive searching and comparing I think the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 is the best so far, they claim it is only 1-person but their SL2 is only a total of 9" wider, I think two people could do without 9 extra inches and still be comfortable... Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Honestly? In severe weather you will freeze to death. You may as well use two tarps with all that mesh.
A true "4-season" tent will not be an ultralight. The string ridge 2 would be the better choice.
Even in socal during an average rainy winter, the sl2 would suck. You'll stay dry but not warm.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Big Agnes Seedhouse is a 3 season tent.

P.S. Being comfortable with someone in close quaters is a very personal thing.

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
A bivvy is the "smallest" alternative, but not really a tent and there is no room.
Honestly, in the snow, I think you are better off making a slanted A frame with your tarp(you can do this with a trekking pole or carry a stick if there are no trees around), taping a mylar blanket to the tarp, laying a mylar blanket on the ground, shoving a ton of bows inside of it, and mostly sealing it off around the edges and the front door with snow. That would be pretty tight and you wouldn't have to worry about the "breathability" of a tent screwing you over.
To many people like to shove their shelters in open ground, directly facing the wind when they could at least place it behind some rocks, bushes, or trees to help out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well after some extensive searching and comparing I think the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 is the best so far, they claim it is only 1-person but their SL2 is only a total of 9" wider, I think two people could do without 9 extra inches and still be comfortable... Thoughts?
That's a very poor choice for a 4 season tent. I'm not fond of hubs, but let's assume that they're strong enough to support a snow load in the case of the SL2 despite only have one pole across the peak. Where the SL2 really fails is in its inability to handle spindrift. When you get some fresh cold powder, it will blow right under the fly, through the mesh and melt inside your tent and cause you to freeze during the night. You do NOT want big mesh walls in a 4 seasons tent unless there's a way to block almost all of it with solid fabric. Look at any 4 season tent and you'll see much smaller mesh panels, and they often have solid fabric windows to further protect against spindrift. Look at the Tarptent Scarp 2 in particular and you'll see that the inner tent is available in solid fabric instead of mesh. That's what you want in a 4 season tent. Unfortunately the things that make a tent great in the winter makes it horrendous and warmer more humid months.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, thanks for pointing out about the mesh of the tint, I figured the fly cover would prevent most of the snow, etc from getting in, the only thing I did not like is the mesh that surrounded the bottom, that always seems to let crap into the tents, especially sand and water.

The being in close quarters isn't a problem for this tent as I would either be alone, or with the opposite sex.. :p

EDIT: I really like the Tarptent Scarp 2's setup and design.. I am also weighing in price and packed size though, Scarp 2 is only 20 x 4 packed size, I guess its not too much bigger then the Seedhouse.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If packed size is important enough for you to pay a little more, you might want to ask Henry if he can make the wall panels of your Scarp 2 inner tent with some other material. I'm not sure what they're using right now, but I bet Momentum 50 is thinner and lighter, plus its water resistant and adds an extra measure of insurance in rainy weather. It won't be cheap though. Momentum 50 currently costs over $20 per yard.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Anyone have ideas on the smallest backpack 2-person, 4-season tent when packed? Smallest I could find so far is the Mountain Hardwear EV 2 from REI.

I did a search for this and did not come up with anything, I am putting together a Bug-Out-Box for my truck, this mainly houses roadside emergency equipment but I am going to give 1/4 of the space to some bug-out-gear..
Well, here is a tip for you that you will hate....

"Packed Size" does not mean anything. It is general not exact. It is basically the size of the bag the tent comes in. For example, I have a Sprite 1 tent that claims 6x19 inch pack size. But I can get it into 5x17 easy in a different stuff sack. If I use the original sack, there is so much space left over. And 17 is the minimum because that is the length of the collapsed pole. If you want to check the "true" packed size, ask the person to measure the length of the longest pole for you while it is collapsed. That is how long the minimum pack size will be.

It happens for most tents, but I illustrated the Sprite 1 because that is another Mountain Hardware tent such as the EV2.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah pack size is most important, as this tent will be sort of an emergency stored shelter inside my truck. I do a lot of offroading in the desert/woods and if ever needed the shelter depending on where I might be in case of a BO situation. I want it to withstand whatever I throw at it.

I don't really like bivvy sacks because I would like 2 person capability if needed, plus in the event of a longterm stay i like the idea of having supply storage also.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
smallest tent I own. sleeps one comfortable, two if your really really close. or one and a dog. fits in the side pouch of my pack. Ive had it like nine years or more. not even sure if its even still made. its a timber creek, and has survived hikes in the Grand Canyon, the smokies and several other extreme spots.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tarp Tent

Go with one of Henry Shires Tents or a GoLite. You do not need a 4 season tent for heat retention.......all that would do is cause CONDENSATION!!!!!!
4 season tents are rather tents that can take a snow load and high wind.
If you live somewhere where there is little snow then go with a 3 season it is fine in the winter up to 3 or 4 inches of snow most of the time. Or just use a good size tarp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts