Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm an ultra-minimalist survive in the simplest most natural way I know how.~

But I still want just a tiny bit of technology.~

What is the smallest Portable Personal Computer with a Keyboard and a built-in camera and microphone, like a tiny Notepad Laptop, that uses the least amount of energy, and is the cheapest and that I can plug tiny head-phones or ear-phones into and any USB devices?~

Are there things like tiny portable plug-in to a tiny laptop digital storage devices that can hold up to or over 50 GB each, because I have over 130 GB of Music stored on my Desktop I want to take with me on the go?~

If there are tiny portable plug-in to a tiny laptop digital storage devices, what are the cheapest and smallest in comparison to size of storage capacity?~

What is the smallest and cheapest Portable Solar Charger that can charge any small electrical devices and that is waterproof and durable,

I plan on getting the smallest least electricity using PC possible so my PC shouldn't need as much power as bigger PCs like medium laptops,

and I don't care if I have to charge it continuously for 15 hours as long as it works with any small electrical devices and allows me to use my tiny PC and any other small electrical devices while it is plugged-into the Solar Charger as long as it is sunny?~

Does Verizon have Global Coverage and is worth the price?~

If there are better Global Coverages for Phones what are they and what is the cheapest in comparison with coverage?~

What is the cheapest most durable in any environment phone including waterproof and that will not even get a dent if I drop it?~

I've heard of Satellite Phones that are solar powered waterproof and durable and I looked them up, I'm not going to spend over $500 on a phone, are there cheaper Satellite Phones and what are the cheapest with Global coverage and are there are any with no recurring costs while I am NOT using it?~

Is it better to have a Satellite Phone or a Non-Satellite phone?~

What are the cheapest ways to get access to the internet on my tiny PC with Global coverage or near Global coverage, it doesn't have to be the fastest speed ever but at least faster than Dial-Up?~

What is the cheapest smallest portable plug-into a tiny pc with a USB or wireless Printer?~

Basically I want every thing to be the smallest and cheapest possible and I want all of this stuff to not be super delicate,

it doesn't have to be indestructible and not ALL of it has to be waterproof, I just don't want any of it to break the first-time I use it if I drop it 2 feet to the ground (this is why I refuse to get one of those ever-new "popular phones").~

Thank you!~ ^_^

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Ok, I'm an ultra-minimalist survive in the simplest most natural way I know how.~

But I still want just a tiny bit of technology.~

What is the smallest Portable Personal Computer with a Keyboard and a built-in camera and microphone, like a tiny Notepad Laptop, that uses the least amount of energy, and is the cheapest and that I can plug tiny head-phones or ear-phones into and any USB devices?~
Android tablet, although it's not a personal computer.

Are there things like tiny portable plug-in to a tiny laptop digital storage devices that can hold up to or over 50 GB each, because I have over 130 GB of Music stored on my Desktop I want to take with me on the go?~
Portable hard drives.

If there are tiny portable plug-in to a tiny laptop digital storage devices, what are the cheapest and smallest in comparison to size of storage capacity?~
About $99 for 1 terabyte here, they should be cheaper in the US. I'm not real fussed on brands, just stick with one of the bigger brands.

What is the smallest and cheapest Portable Solar Charger that can charge any small electrical devices and that is waterproof and durable,
This is a question that has too many variables to answer. What's your power consumption?

I plan on getting the smallest least electricity using PC possible so my PC shouldn't need as much power as bigger PCs like medium laptops,
Do you want a PC or a small computer? A laptop isn't a PC.

and I don't care if I have to charge it continuously for 15 hours as long as it works with any small electrical devices and allows me to use my tiny PC and any other small electrical devices while it is plugged-into the Solar Charger as long as it is sunny?
Are you asking a question here? It reads like a statement, but you've got a question mark at the end. You won't be able to charge any other small electrical device. They all have differing power requirements. Occasionally the voltage can be different, for example.

Basically I want every thing to be the smallest and cheapest possible and I want all of this stuff to not be super delicate,

it doesn't have to be indestructible and not ALL of it has to be waterproof, I just don't want any of it to break the first-time I use it if I drop it 2 feet to the ground (this is why I refuse to get one of those ever-new "popular phones").~

Thank you!~ ^_^
Look into the Raspberry Pi. :thumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude sojurn87, thanks for the Solar Charger suggestion that falls just around my price range: between $0 and $100 depending on how powerful, durable, lasting, and over all how great it is!~ ^_^

SamboRoberts, I think we're both mistaken as to what a Personal Computer is.~

Everything from Desktop Towers to Digital Watches are technically computers and if you own it for yourself it is technically personal to you.~

I meant a small computer but one with a full keyboard to type with NOT WITH MY THUMBS, BUT BIG ENOUGH FOR MY HANDS TO TYPE WITH ALL MY FINGERS, as that is ssooooo annoying to do with my thumbs and I find small computers like "new phones" to be not nearly as capable as I want them to be as the most basic of Notebook Laptops!~ XD

"This is a question that has too many variables to answer. What's your power consumption?"

I don't know yet, I haven't decided on whether or not to keep my mom's Notebook Laptop as it has a lot of freezing and other problems or get something better and possibly smaller.~

I still need to get a phone of some kind, internet access, and a portable printer.~

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a 10" laptop?

Or you could get an Android tablet with a keyboard that's built into the carry case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-iRulu-7...31002425923?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item35c8d14a43
Dude, thanks!~ ^_^

Is 8GB enough to hold digital documents and how is it?~

What do you recommend: Tablet or Laptop or some thing else?~

Obviously it seems the Tablet with the built-in the carry case keyboard is the choice for the cheapest choice I have ever seen.~

How are the Tablet and the 10'' Laptop?~

I really don't know much of any thing about small computers like a 10'' Laptop or a Tablet.~

Are they reliable?~

My mom's Notepad Laptop lasted pretty long for my 2 years in getting my Associate's Degree in college, but now unfortunately it has all kinds of problems including the battery not being able to hold a charge for long any more.~

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I've got an 8" Eepc that I've had for years, I've got no problems with it. 8GB is enough to hold digital documents.

I've got about 3500 ebooks here, they take up less than 4GB.

Both have their good points and bad points, I'm afraid. With the tablet, you're limited by the amount and types of hardware that you can plug into and they typically only have one USB port. I got around this by using a power USB hub.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got an 8" Eepc that I've had for years, I've got no problems with it. 8GB is enough to hold digital documents.

I've got about 3500 ebooks here, they take up less than 4GB.

Both have their good points and bad points, I'm afraid. With the tablet, you're limited by the amount and types of hardware that you can plug into and they typically only have one USB port. I got around this by using a power USB hub.
Thanks dude, you've been a huge help with my small computer with full hand keyboard choices!~ ^_^

Got any advice for internet?~

What about phones?~

How about Satellite Phones and Satellite Internet?~

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
No advice for phones or Internet; I'm on the other side of the world.

Having said that, I'd steer clear of satellite phones because they're expensive. Re-evaluate your communication needs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I think it's great. I'm not sure what the call costs would be like, but if it's a business expense, I guess you'd be less worried about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's great. I'm not sure what the call costs would be like, but if it's a business expense, I guess you'd be less worried about it.
Unfortunately for me, I just went over the fine print and to use it I would need to buy one of their Satellite Phones as this apparently is not one of them (unless I read it wrong, which I might have) and their Satellite Phones all cost over $1,000 except for one that is over $500 dollars BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *falls over laughing*! XD

I wouldn't spend over $100 on any thing unless it was worth it!~ XD

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Samsung Galaxy S4 Android Smart phone in a Pelican case, maximum SD internal card, OTG cable for SD cards and USB connection, powered USB hub, Bluetooth/USB keyboard and mouse, lots of SD cards and USB thumb drives.

Just my opinion.
You're opinion is welcomed, thanked, and well-noted!~ ^_^

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I'm thinking about getting this as per SamboRoberts's suggestion:

8GB iRulu 7" Android 4.0 Tablet PC Cortex A8 Dual Cameras w/ Keyboard&Earphone

However I haven't been able to find it any where else as this kind of package expect Ebay so far, I don't mind buying from them it's just that I never have before and I really don't know what to expect if I even can expect any thing at all.~

I found it on Amazon but it doesn't have the A8 Dual Cameras w/ Keyboard&Earphone in one package.~

Another question, is it viable to receive calls on this or should I stick to a Verizon phone with Global Coverage?~

The reason I ask is because my Verizon phone seems to be holding a charge for less and less, unless it's typical of any Verizon phone to hold less than a half-charge for less the 48 hours with very little use.~

Is it better to buy it new from Amazon with the Keyboard separate even though it's $100 without the keyboard?~

I like the pink case!~ ^_^

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390677366079?lpid=82

What do you think about this:

, and this:

USB 2.0 Extension Cable Type A Male to Type A Female 6 ft, Black

http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-Type-Female-Black/dp/B00182CIB8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384361220&sr=1-3&keywords=male+female+usb+cable

What about connecting multiple things at once?~

The Storite supposedly doesn't require an external power source, is this still true with 8GB iRulu 7" Android 4.0 Tablet PC Cortex?~

Do you think I should buy this to:

AmazonBasics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-4-Port-Ultra-Mini/dp/B003M0NURK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384361383&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+hub+cable

I'm also thinking about getting this to thanks to sojurn87's suggestion:

Kiwi U-Powered

http://www.kiwichoice.com/portable-chargers/kiwi-u-powered

I want to try to get all my stuff ready before my "A" School, because I am *not* going to blow $300 on a brand new laptop in addition to any thing else I need fresh out of basic training because I need electronic school supplies.~

By the way, know any good portable electric mini-plug-in USB printers?~

By the way: how fast are the 8GB iRulu 7" Android 4.0 Tablet PC Cortex's Processors, because I've always used AMD Processors for my Desktops?~

Currently I am also using 4 GB (2.98 GB usable) RAM on my Desktop.~

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm using a 9" netbook now. Asus eeePC 900. The model I bought uses a standard 2.5" hdd so I put in a 1TB that way I don't need to mess with external storage, I have everything on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That HDD is going to have too much power draw to work directly from the USB from the tablet. I run mine from a powered USB hub.
That's what I figured, so you agree that I should get the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub?~

So with my list of the above in the previous post, do you think I have enough?~

1 - 20 of 65 Posts