Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range with a friend the other day who also wants to be prepared for shtf situations that arise. We had to stop for gas and I noticed that he was on empty and that got me to thinking, I never let my tank get below the 1/2 way point. It's one of those things I never thought about, but could make a big different if shtf. I pointed it out to him and he had a "aha" moment.

Depending on the car you have, Keeping your tank above the 1/2 point can add 1-200 miles to what you can do with a vehicle in a shtf situation (without refilling) which can make a big difference in how you are able to handle the situation.

Not a big thing, and maybe something that a lot of people have thought about before, but might be something for newer people to think about. A lot of people focus on the large things while a simple behavioral change could make your life easier in a bad situation.

1. Do a lot of people already do with their vehicles?

2. Anybody have any other similar simple behavior changes that can make a difference in a bad situation?

·
Registered
831 Posts
We keep all of our vehicles at half. They are all diesels, so in the bigger rigs (Excursion and F250) that's 4 to 5 hundred miles. In my Jeep, that's 3 to 4 hundred miles (I sure wish the tank on the Jeep was bigger)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
We keep all of our vehicles at half. They are all diesels, so in the bigger rigs (Excursion and F250) that's 4 to 5 hundred miles. In my Jeep, that's 3 to 4 hundred miles (I sure wish the tank on the Jeep was bigger)

Are you saying you are getting 800-1,000 miles on a tank of fuel in your trucks? And 600-800 miles a tank in your jeep? If so that is amazing! Teach me how to drive like that! On long trips I keep two Jerry cans of fuel and two 5 gallon jugs of water along with my back up supplies on a rack on the back of the trucks. Even on my Yukon XL that adds about 150+ miles pulling a trailer in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I had an old farmer tell me to always fill my gas tank at the half way mark. He said gas caps has an air vent in them to let air into the gas tank. In the spring and fall when we get dew on everything the moisture in the air will condense on the side of the tank and drip down into the gas. He said he learned the hard way when his tractor set to long without being run.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Another thing to do is to check the tire pressure in your tires. Saves gas and wear and tear on your tires. Also you can find issues, like nails, damage, or a broken belt in the tire before they become a possibly deadly situation. Being on the highway driving like a bat out of hell in a shtf scenario and have a front tire blow out could make you day much worse.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
These days I keep my truck no less than 3/4 full. That wasn't practical before retirement because of the amount of driving I did. if its full I'm good for about 450 miles. I also keep 20 gallons of gas on hand. It can either go into the truck if need be, the tractor or generator.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Are you saying you are getting 800-1,000 miles on a tank of fuel in your trucks? And 600-800 miles a tank in your jeep? If so that is amazing! Teach me how to drive like that! On long trips I keep two Jerry cans of fuel and two 5 gallon jugs of water along with my back up supplies on a rack on the back of the trucks. Even on my Yukon XL that adds about 150+ miles pulling a trailer in the mountains.
Yes....we get close to 1000 miles per tank. 7.3l diesel engines, chipped. Yes, again on the Jeep. 30+ MPG. Most of our driving is hwy, not too much stop and go (we live in a one stoplight town)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Over half at all times. Found a couple of older trucks with dual tanks and at first money was tight so I filled one tank and put 5.00 dollars in the second tank after awhile both were full. F150 700+ miles 300 six, ranger 900+ 4 cylinder. Both have extended cabs and extra supplies behind the seats of each. Food, water, ammo, blankets, trail tent, tarps, and the list goes on. I can get to the BOL from anywhere in the state where more supplies and shelter are waiting. If there is advanced warning of TSHTF is given each truck has a trailer that can be loaded in an hour or so and then get to the BOL.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I just don't know how you guys get such great fuel economy! A F-250 has a 35 gallon tank and if you get over 1000 miles that puts you at over 28.5 mpg. That's as good as a Chevy Impala or similar sized sedan. I can get about 550 miles in my Yukon before I get nervous! I get about 16.3 on a good day on the highway. I guess I could see you getting that on flat land with no traffic and little weight and have the rpm's really low with the chip.

Again teach me how to get that mileage! What speeds are you driving?

·
reluctant sinner
20,131 Posts
I fill up my F-150 every time I leave town which is about 1/4 tank (5 gallons) 12 - 17 MPG. I have about 30 gallons of treated gas at home.

My FJ-40 Land Cruiser has a 12.5 gallon aux tank with a 18.5 main. At 35 MPH I have seen it get 25 MPG. I can't wait to get it back on the road.

On long trips I will go below 1/2 tank just to stay out over priced fuel stops.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,804 Posts
Not driving about on empty is always a good idea but there is also doing simple maintenance of your stuff that is often not done. How many people have a routine to run their emergency generator monthly and change the oil each year? Same with your cars when it comes to maintenance. Is your car battery 6-7 years old? Start thinking about getting a new one.

The old saw was the first things companies in trouble do is cut down on maintenance. Which than leads to expensive failures and the company folding its tent. Look around your home and equipment and think what you might have been missing keeping up.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I just don't know how you guys get such great fuel economy! A F-250 has a 35 gallon tank and if you get over 1000 miles that puts you at over 28.5 mpg. That's as good as a Chevy Impala or similar sized sedan. I can get about 550 miles in my Yukon before I get nervous! I get about 16.3 on a good day on the highway. I guess I could see you getting that on flat land with no traffic and little weight and have the rpm's really low with the chip.

Again teach me how to get that mileage! What speeds are you driving?
They never said they have one fuel tank!

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
I went to the range with a friend the other day who also wants to be prepared for shtf situations that arise. We had to stop for gas and I noticed that he was on empty and that got me to thinking, I never let my tank get below the 1/2 way point. It's one of those things I never thought about, but could make a big different if shtf. I pointed it out to him and he had a "aha" moment.

Depending on the car you have, Keeping your tank above the 1/2 point can add 1-200 miles to what you can do with a vehicle in a shtf situation (without refilling) which can make a big difference in how you are able to handle the situation.

Not a big thing, and maybe something that a lot of people have thought about before, but might be something for newer people to think about. A lot of people focus on the large things while a simple behavioral change could make your life easier in a bad situation.

1. Do a lot of people already do with their vehicles?

2. Anybody have any other similar simple behavior changes that can make a difference in a bad situation?
Keeping your tank above half full will also keep your fuel pump cool and let it last longer before replacement.
The gas cools down the electric fuel common to most recent vehicles these days

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I grew up keeping vehicles full. My dad always used to say it costs the same to keep it full as it does to keep it empty.
thats not technically true...

20 gallon tank, drive to empty refill once every 400 miles.
20 gallon tank, drive to half, refill once every 200 miles

You are going to the gas station twice as often, spending twice as much time at the gas station.

That being said I fill at about 1/4- 1/2 and keep two 5 gallon tanks in the bed of my truck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.