Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to be able to store a couple hundred pounds of grains, rice, beans, flour, etcetera. I'd also like to be able to use it regularly and keep it rotated. I have the idea of having small silos, maybe about the size of a 55 gallon barrel. That way, I can pour fresh stuff in the top, and dispense it from the bottom.

Has anyone seen a small silo like that? If there isn't one on the market, does anyone have an idea of how to make one? It'd have to be bug and water resistant, tapered at the bottom, and have some sort of dispensing valve.

All input appreciated. :)

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
I'd like to be able to store a couple hundred pounds of grains, rice, beans, flour, etcetera. I'd also like to be able to use it regularly and keep it rotated. I have the idea of having small silos, maybe about the size of a 55 gallon barrel. That way, I can pour fresh stuff in the top, and dispense it from the bottom.

Has anyone seen a small silo like that? If there isn't one on the market, does anyone have an idea of how to make one? It'd have to be bug and water resistant, tapered at the bottom, and have some sort of dispensing valve.

All input appreciated. :)
So,you want basically a 55 gal bin with a pour spout that will keep the critters out right?
A little ingenuity and a 55 gal drum probably be cheaper than a ready made one.
IMO

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
There are food grade hopper bottom small bins, but they are expensive. I haven't seen any that would be bug proof.
One idea would be to get some food grade 55 gal. barrels with an open top. Get barrels that have a O-ring gasket. They have a top lid that seals tight. Make a heavy duty stand that sets the barrel on an angle. Get a 2" fitting that has a long threaded part with 2 nuts, washers and gaskets. Cut a hole in the bottom of the barrel with a hole saw next to the edge. Put a 2" ball valve on the threaded fitting. It wouldn't completely empty the barrel but it would get most of it from the valve. Also, the barrel couldn't be filled completely unless it was filled level, then set it on an angle. I hope that make sense. A sliding valve like a RV has to empty the sewage would work better than a ball valve, but wouldn't be food grade.

·
Totally off grid
2,882 Posts
I am using 2 10' shipping containers and 55 gallon food grade barrels. Then break it down to smaller quantities by using 5 gallon food grade buckets for use and in house storage. They are pretty cheap and offer real security as well as protection.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Here is one that might work for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-gallon-cone-...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c13f51aa8

It would require a stand and sliding valve on the bottom. The stand cost more than the tank and shipping would be on top of that. It shouldn't be hard to make a stand.

The tank in this listing is 60 gal. This company also sells cone bottom tanks from 35 gal. to 1025 ga. which would translate to 4.5 bu. to 128 bu. or around 200 lbs to 7500 lbs. of grain. I would only use a tank like this for dry grains, rice or beans, not processed grains like flour or rolled oats. When not used for grain, it couild be used for water. For grain, I would probably choose one that is tall and skinney for good grain flow.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Unless you have livestock to feed that much grains, beans, rice,,, to, how are you going to keep it rotated?

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? Conical tanks are used in brewing and you can buy them in every size. They are food grade and pest proof don't know about weather proof think you might need to have them in a shed. Have never looked at a deer feeder but they are bottom dump silo shaped things are they bug proof? could they be made bug proof? are they cost effective? dont' know the answer to those questions.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Sounds like 5 gallon FOOD GRADE buckets would be a better option ...... use mylar and 02 absorbers for the longer term ...... 100 lbs of grain/rice lasts a long time for the average family ....

·
Registered
679 Posts
What about a slightly larger version of the acrylic bulk dispensers some grocery stores have? Could make your own to whatever size you want, or stack a few side by side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the phrase "cone bottom tank" is key. I found some 15 and 35 gallon ones on ebay.

Also, I found coffee bean and jelly bean dispensers that would be great.

Of all the ones I saw, these would be perfect
http://www.thedailytruffle.com/2009/04/jelly-bean-dispensers-for-your-home/
you could have a variety of beans or rice, easy access, and keep an eye on your stock

This seems like maybe the most cost-effective, although it could be larger
http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=TC1113CA&ref=base

These are really nice, but I bet they are expensive
http://images.travelpod.com/users/dane/se_asia.1297547896.rice-dispensers.jpg

And for flour, apparently flour bins used to be common in kitchens
http://www.hardwaretree.com/products.php?cat=Hoosier+Cabinet+Hardware&pg=4

Now, to find an affordable source. I think I'll add these to my "keep an eye out for on craigslist and at garage sales" list

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you have livestock to feed that much grains, beans, rice,,, to, how are you going to keep it rotated?
that's the point of bottom dispensing, to keep it rotated. I think beans and rice last a long time so long as they are dry.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Good deal man.

So are you going to raise your own grains? Or will you buy them?

For long term storage, I'd consider #10 canning. However if you eat a LOT of grains, then rotations probably wont be a problem. Cool, dark, dry, and vermin free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to grow my own, but in the mean time I'll be buying. I already have about a hundred pounds of rice and beans, and I plan to get more. That's why I'm looking at storage methods. I'd like to have at least 6 months of food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts