Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is pretty small, and we were out shooting the .22 on the farm the other day (first time shes ever shot any kind of firearm). And she was unable to look through the sights, there was a small scope of some flavor (my buddies rifle not mine) and i could use it no problem.

But my girl....she just couldnt get the grip right, and she couldnt look down the sights, does any one have any suggestions interms of a .22 that is suited to smaller people? or any brands which accomadate aftermarket stocks which are shorter?

Thanks.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Call the NRA and get her to a local NRA Certified Instructor. All 3 of you meet up and see what he thinks. It could be the way that she is built or it could be the way she holds the rifle/gun. Let him work with her on her stance and see what he figures out.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
walmarts that sell guns sell alot of smaller or youth model 22lr rifles. You might want to run by a walmart, ****s sporting goods, or other place that sells firearms and just let her handle a few

part of the problem could be the scope itself. Those little 15mm and 20mm tubes can be hard to line up and see through, especially if you are leaning back (as alot of inexperienced shooters do, especially women because the stocks are usually a bit long for them). Maybe a 32mm lens scope could be the solution if the stock isnt the problem.

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thanks, it didnt occur to me to get the instructor to help (here in canada i guess the equivilant of your NRA, is the Canadian Firearms Safty instructors)

also, its pretty difficult go get the dealers/brokers to let you handle different arms unless you're planning to buy on rightthere and then. At least thats been my experience.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,187 Posts
hmmm did you check to see which was her dominate eye? If she is left eye dominate she might have to shoot left handed. We had the same problem over the weekend at the range and the woman with us switched to left (left eye dominate) and she did fine.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
first of all, why is your girlfriend shooting your friend's rifle and not yours?

seriously though, it could be her dominant eye. my right eye is dominant and i shoot right-handed. i want to be able to shoot left-handed and when i use my left eye on the scope, it's a whole lot of getting used to. my head and my left eye doesn't move like my head and right eye. so that could be a problem for her, because being right-handed doesn't mean all your dominant features on the right side of your body.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Alright thanks, it didnt occur to me to get the instructor to help (here in canada i guess the equivilant of your NRA, is the Canadian Firearms Safty instructors)

also, its pretty difficult go get the dealers/brokers to let you handle different arms unless you're planning to buy on rightthere and then. At least thats been my experience.
You don't have a store selling guns in your city? Go into said store and ask to handle the various models and the staff will be more then happy to help you...If not, go to another store and tell them that you are.

I have taught all my daughters to shoot from age six and they haven't had a problem with finding the scope's proper position but I did it from a bench where they could move themselves up or down the butt stock until the found that "sweet spot".

Going to a larger scope tube just puts the scope 5mm higher from the action if the original was a 1" (25mm) tube.

Eye dominance may be a part of it...Have hold her hand out, with the thumb erect and with both eyes open and have her look at a spot--any spot, then tell her to close one eye...If the thumb moves away from the target then she is the other eye dependent, if it remain on then she is that eye dominant.

Best teaching method is to begin with iron sights, receiver preferably, and then progress to scopes.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
After a recent trip to the gun dealer of shame, I went through all the youth sized rifles with a jaundiced eye.

After looking at a large handful the Marlin youth rifle was the easy winner.
While heavier than the competition, the lack of quality from the rest was quite disturbing.

One had a peened chamber from dry firing and another of similar design would have the same very quickly if left in the hands of customers.

None of the other's were built to last. And for something that should last several lifetimes, that's a problem.

If she's that small, look at the Marlin youth rifle, it's only a single shot but well worth the price.

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why not mine? because mine are in ontario still and im in saskatchewan, and because i also hadnt planned to go shooting but my buddy suggested we go to the north 40 and set up some targets.

I've schedueled a few weekends with the instructor for her, i'll go along cause im certian i will learn more as well.

and finally, there are only two places which sell guns here in my town, the pawn shop and the one gun store. Which is why I order everything from out of province.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.