Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking for a while about making a small hunting cabins just something to stay outta the weather and be able to sleep comfortably in, does anyone here have any experience with building anything similar??

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
So I've been thinking for a while about making a small hunting cabins just something to stay outta the weather and be able to sleep comfortably in, does anyone here have any experience with building anything similar??
Yes, I've built many. Much depends if you want something that will last one year or 50 years. Also if you want insulation. The buildings like Home Depot sells are pieces of crap. But if you live in an area with light to no snow roof loads, and you don't need the building to last very long - they work.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
might try going to one of the big box diy/home improvement stores. they have plans and kits there for yard barns from about 6x8ft to 12x24ft. all depends on your needs and the number of kits you buy for the size you want.
just a thought.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How small is small?

My son and I built a nice fort that has room for a cot, chair and small desk / table. It has a window that opens and a door, Metal roof and is very dry in all weather rain or snow, He has slept in it in very cold temps (below freezing) with only a Mr Buddy heater and blanket.

Square footage 32' (4x8)

This fills your specs exactly, Small, Gets you out of the weather and you can sleep comfortably in it.

My neighbor built a 8x12 cabin with two built in buck beds, small desk / table, four sliding widows and a wood stove. Also dry and comfortable.

So how small is small?

·
Dismember
1,970 Posts
My Tuff Sheds from Home Depot are far from being pieces of crap. It's ordinary 2 x 4 construction, with a painted cement board exterior. The roofing material is regular asphalt stock from the HD store, and the paint is from the HD paint department. My oldest one is coming up on 13 years old.

The floors are the only part that isn't great. You need to think ahead about how you will insulate the floor. Also, be sure you have them installed 14-16" off the ground.

·
Registered
29 Posts
also put in a wood burning stove full size or tent size if shtf where are you going to find propane or electricity you will be able to heat the cabin and cook on a wood burner
use a welders blanket to keep heat off the walls put a 2x4on the wall and nail the welders blanket to it not you have a air gap between wall and blanket for cooling also

·
Combat marxism Now!
9,315 Posts
There are cabin kits on Ebay. Some are good quality.

More interesting though may be a SIPS cabin. Made of structural panels, cut to size in the factory. They make a "fast erect" building that is very strong and well insulated. Install a door and window, properly shingle the roof and install siding of your choice.

They can even be pre-built in the factory, to ensure no problems during assembly. Generally takes a weekend, with a small group of people.

The panels themselves are structural. Short of a beam at the top, there is no structure for you to build or install. Just screw it together on your foundation. Or have them produce a foundation for you.

If you look carefully at the roof panels sitting on the ground, you will see that there is a 2x6 or 2 x 8 on one side only. The other side fits over the partially exposed 2 x 6. As few as 3 screws go in and it's done.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There are cabin kits on Ebay. Some are good quality.
I live in an SIP house. I'm not sold on it when it comes to large residential home construction. However, I can see where it could make a warm cabin that goes up fast. Having a good footer is the biggest problem when in the middle of nowhere. CCA treated poles maybe?

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Tuff Sheds from Home Depot are far from being pieces of crap. It's ordinary 2 x 4 construction, with a painted cement board exterior. The roofing material is regular asphalt stock from the HD store, and the paint is from the HD paint department. My oldest one is coming up on 13 years old.

The floors are the only part that isn't great. You need to think ahead about how you will insulate the floor. Also, be sure you have them installed 14-16" off the ground.
I do concrete pads for tuff shed , that's the only way I would install one is on a pad . As far as quality I think they are of good quality. one of my customers had one put up about 4 yrs ago , no problems . Two years in a row we had 12"+ of snow .

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,787 Posts
Maybe this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O13AO5IcN4M

I also saw this trailer set up described some years back a bit of search and i found this link;

http://www.campcomfort.net/?hop=splode

Does anyone have any experience good or bad with either of these or something like them? With metal thievery and vandalism on the rise the idea of bringing something like this to a rural property is attractive to me too.

Hope these help!

·
Combat marxism Now!
9,315 Posts
I live in an SIP house. I'm not sold on it when it comes to large residential home construction. However, I can see where it could make a warm cabin that goes up fast. Having a good footer is the biggest problem when in the middle of nowhere. CCA treated poles maybe?
Me neither!

Correction: I should have said, there are some "Log Cabin" and similar kits on ebay. The quality varies wildly, regardless of construction technique.

As mentioned above, SIPS is probably not ideal for large structures. But for a compact hunting cabin, it's one possible choice that might actually be better in just about every way, than a classic 2 x 4 wood framed cabin. While being about the same cost.

It truly is possible to put one up in a weekend.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If yu insulate the tuff shed it would serve as a fine cabin. The shed I mentioned in previous post is insulated , drywalled, and a cieling fan. I installed a a/c heater combo unit also no problem in winter keeping 70°.

·
Padre in the woods
3,894 Posts
Can't say where to get something, but there are plans all over, including books at Lowes or Menards on building cabins. But, do modifications to what they have. Look at conservation of thermal properties with thicker walls and use of materials which help keep the cabin comfortable without heating/cooling. Also consider stone or brick on some surfaces to lower R-factor. Insulation is key on the roof. If possible, consider part of it being underground to regulate thermal factors. Just my 2-c worth.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
The 8 X 12 storage shed I built 20 years ago is still quite strong. Stick built with 2x4s on 24" centers and 2x6 rafters. T-111 siding and asphalt shingle roofing. Nothing special.
Probably cost about $750 back then and you could do the same for just under $1000 these days with all new bought materials. Less if you could sub in recycled/used materials.
That's about $10/sq ft.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.