Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I already own a regular BBQ (and if any of you ever get invited over for dinner the rib eye steaks are to die for). This is a large bbq with 4 burners. If we face a loss of electricity for cooking, the propane bbq will likely be our main stove.

We've got extra propane stored. (I'm looking for 25 gallon tanks. So far I can only find 5 gal.)

By chance I was in Home Depot today and I saw an ultra small gas grill. It made me wonder - would a smaller grill be more gas efficient than a large regular bbq? My wife typically only uses one or two burners on the large bbq when she cooks.

We are both conscious of the fact that if there is no electricity we need to stretch our propane as long as we can so we are trying to figure out if getting a small grill is in any way more gas conservative than just using one or two burners on a large bbq.

Does anybody know?

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
Clue= If you aren't using wood, you aren't barbecuing.
That's right!!!!!

I now have a propane grill and I have to say I miss my BBQ pit so much. I can't seem to get the knack for grilling over direct heat. I end up burning everything or the meat dries out. My husband is better at it than I am.

I will take indirect heat any day.

I really don't see how I will ever be able to cook a brisket again with this thing. :(

Live and learn. I got tired of the pit rusting out and having to paint it all the time. The grass is always greener....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Loook at how many BTU per burner it puts out
This.

The second and third paragraphs in this article isn't exactly what you're looking for but it may help. I've copied it below.

My grill puts out 36,000 BTUs per hour – when you see the BTU measurement on the box, it refers to how many British Thermal Units the grill can produce in one hour. A gallon of propane contains 91,600 BTUs, and a standard 20 pound tank has 4.72 gallons of propane in it for a total of 431,613 BTUs of energy. Thus, one tank will allow the grill to run for twelve hours. Given the cooking time I’ve witnessed with the grill, most of our family meats will require an average of about 35 minutes of grill time, which means that I’ll be able to grill about twenty times on a single tank. As I can get a tank refill for $12 at the local hardware store, it costs about sixty cents per grilling session in propane costs.

This, of course, assumes that I fire up all three burners, which each consume about 12,000 BTUs per hour. If I grill with just two of them (likely, so I have a cooler spot on the grill), my cost per grilling session goes down to about forty cents.

Hope this helps.

V

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
I have one of these Solaire infrared portable stainless grills and it rocks. It uses the 1 lb cylinders that I refill myself from the 5 gallon tank. I use it all the time, and I have a 6 burner stainless bbq grill (Kenmore elite $1800) and the small one is just easier, faster and uses waaaay less propane.

I take it with me to the beach, or on the boat at the lake.

http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
I agree with paying attention to the BTU output. I have picked up those cheapo small little gas BBQ's before and they take forever to cook a chicken breast. You can forget trying to sear with them, they just don't get hot enough.

I've never tried a more high quality one such as gpracer1 posted so I can't comment. But it looks like it's pretty good.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,417 Posts
My wife and I already own a regular BBQ (and if any of you ever get invited over for dinner the rib eye steaks are to die for). This is a large bbq with 4 burners. If we face a loss of electricity for cooking, the propane bbq will likely be our main stove.

We've got extra propane stored. (I'm looking for 25 gallon tanks. So far I can only find 5 gal.)

By chance I was in Home Depot today and I saw an ultra small gas grill. It made me wonder - would a smaller grill be more gas efficient than a large regular bbq? My wife typically only uses one or two burners on the large bbq when she cooks.

We are both conscious of the fact that if there is no electricity we need to stretch our propane as long as we can so we are trying to figure out if getting a small grill is in any way more gas conservative than just using one or two burners on a large bbq.

Does anybody know?
Yes a small propane grill would be far more efficient. Perhaps twice as efficient when you are heating up a pot of water (concentrated heat) vs broiling a steak (diffused heat).

Also, your big gas grill is heating up the entire assembly instead of just the pot and the support grill.

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
I agree with paying attention to the BTU output. I have picked up those cheapo small little gas BBQ's before and they take forever to cook a chicken breast. You can forget trying to sear with them, they just don't get hot enough.

I've never tried a more high quality one such as gpracer1 posted so I can't comment. But it looks like it's pretty good.
It is quality, but you pay for it. :eek::

I have this addiction to buy the best I can afford after months of research. I almost feel like a freak.:D:
My home grill....

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you want something with more flexibility look at the Volcano II- you can use it with propane, charcoal, and wood. Gives you lots of options. Check out the videos on this site or on You Tube - I purchased mine from Emergency Ess.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Small gas grill vs regular BBQ
You don't say how small but I just bought a stainless portable 2 burner gas grill from Sam's. It's supposed to be for tailgating comes with a carrying bag for $99.00 I haven't tried it yet and didn't check for btu rating, it looks about the same grilling size as my cheapie grills but portable like a campstove.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2500002

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
It is quality, but you pay for it. :eek::

I have this addiction to buy the best I can afford after months of research. I almost feel like a freak.:D:
My home grill....
Hey, thanks for the pic. I was just looking at the link from the earlier post and I'm going to look more into it. There is a retailer about 25 minutes from me.

Your right about paying for it though. But I'm a bit like you. Buy the very best that you can afford and take care of it.

A question for you though, have you ever tried boiling water on it with the different way that it heats?

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
Hey, thanks for the pic. I was just looking at the link from the earlier post and I'm going to look more into it. There is a retailer about 25 minutes from me.

Your right about paying for it though. But I'm a bit like you. Buy the very best that you can afford and take care of it.

A question for you though, have you ever tried boiling water on it with the different way that it heats?
Boiling water on which one?
The home grill has 6 burners plus an infrared sear plate on the right where the red bull is. The portable has about the same size infrared as the sear plate.
Have never tried boiling water on either, but if you give me a spec (what type of pot, and how much water, I will experiment)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have two of the small hibachi propane grills, bought at goodwill stores. they work fine for a single guy or even two. get one with a heat defuser plate, not the kind with lava rocks. the rocks never even out the heat and are a pain for camping or tailgaiting. an adapter hose and a 4.6 gal tank lasts a long time

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Boiling water on which one?
The home grill has 6 burners plus an infrared sear plate on the right where the red bull is. The portable has about the same size infrared as the sear plate.
Have never tried boiling water on either, but if you give me a spec (what type of pot, and how much water, I will experiment)
Well, I was wondering how the infrared would work. More along the lines of how well it would do it compared to a standard BBQ. I honestly hadn't thought of getting anymore specific than that.

But I suppose that it would be a good experiment! Same pot, same amount of water and a timer.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The math on this is making my brain hurt.

My biggest reason for asking is we don't seem to get much cooking time out of the BBQ but when I use an RV the propane from a 5 gal tank works the stove for a full month. So I figure there has to be a gas conservative stove.

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
Well, I was wondering how the infrared would work. More along the lines of how well it would do it compared to a standard BBQ. I honestly hadn't thought of getting anymore specific than that.

But I suppose that it would be a good experiment! Same pot, same amount of water and a timer.
Just checked and the big grill infrared sear plate uses 12,000 btu and the portable grill uses 14,000 btu.......so I dont know if I can compare evenly.

·
Vietnam Vet
116 Posts
Propane oven/stove combo

We just bought a combination propane oven/2 burner stove so that we have both options. It runs on the small disposable canisters or a large propane tank. We ordered it from the Sportsmans Guide catalog - if I remember correctly is was around $100.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I have a propane grill, it's ok-
I just got a smoker/ grill from a friend that moved away. I'm constantly in the smoke from it. But I want to smoke fish....I probably am doing it wrong!
I also have two camping type propane grills there light and easy to use- they make food hot, that's not really barbecuing thou. They run on disposable tanks but will work for quite a while on a tank.

If you go with the 25 lbs Or Bigger tanks you probably need a better regulator. And I would pipe it in copper or better yet black iron. I would not want to be standing next to a 25 pounder when the regulated fails or someone knocks it over with the grill and snaps a hose. But that's just me.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
After hurricane ike and rita, my neighbors had several of those 20 pound propane canisters on their deck - all of them were empty from cooking 3 meals a day for 2 weeks.

Propane is good, but it only going to last "so" long. From there your going to need a more permanent, long term cooking solution.

Besides my propane grill, I have 2 more grills - 1 uses charcoal and the other uses wood.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts