Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for peoples opinions on the best shotgun for what the title states.

I'm looking for something fairly nice, but I would like to keep it under lets say $1500.

I believe Id like a 12 gauge, although willing to listen to reasons why another gauge would be preferable.

Looking for the best bang for my buck that delivers, looks, performance and durability.

I'd like something I could possibly keep for a long time, maybe hand down to my son one day.

And for those of you who would not mind spending the time, educate me about your choice please.

Honestly, Id be very interested in learning why one shotgun over the other is a good shotgun for ducks/small game.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I'm not too good with shotguns, but there really isnt a need for a 12 gauge if youre goin to do small game. Waterfowl yes, but if by small game you mean rabbits/squirrels etc then 12 gauge is an overkill.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm not too good with shotguns, but there really isnt a need for a 12 gauge if youre goin to do small game. Waterfowl yes, but if by small game you mean rabbits/squirrels etc then 12 gauge is an overkill.
It all depends on what you put in you shot gun. You get more shot from your shot gun with the 12 guage. Unless you have a twitchy sholder when it comes to recoil then thier is no reason to go with less.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I agree..but it depends on the person. Like you'd know Maverick, I'm hesitant on how much recoil I can handle. 12 gauge can be used for alot of different animals. But if you arent shooting a huge buck or bear and just using it for duck or small game, 20 will be just as good. A 12 may blow the squirrel to pieces.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Most people would say that the side by side/over under would be your best choice when it comes to birds, but that's going to be a little difficult because they tend to carry an outragious price tag. I'm sure it can be done but a little shoping around and some recearch would be in order, to get the most bang for your buck.

I would say that with what you are working with a good semi auto version would be the way to go. Not as simple in design, but a very good choice when follow up shots are crutial. With birds this is especially true, you want to be able to hit multiple birds after that first round goes off.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree..but it depends on the person. Like you'd know Maverick, I'm hesitant on how much recoil I can handle. 12 gauge can be used for alot of different animals. But if you arent shooting a huge buck or bear and just using it for duck or small game, 20 will be just as good. A 12 may blow the squirrel to pieces.
I begg to differ small game. If you use squirl/rabbit shot yopu will have no more problems than if you used the 20 guage. They bird shot for birds too you know.

Not trying to be an @$$ but, you will blow up a squirl with 20 guage buck shot just as fast as with a 12.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I know youre not trying to be, I'm trying to learn as I go.
Youre far more knowledgable than me. So you have priority. You are right and I am sadly wrong. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think Garra is looking for a specific model and make from my re reading of his thread. Sorry garra I don't think I can help you any more, I'm a pump man, and i think you will be looking at either a side by side or a semi auto model.

An answer will come up for you if you are patient, I've noticed that the shotgun page is less frequented than most of the others. Perhapse it's because there just isn't that much to say about shotguns?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I know youre not trying to be, I'm trying to learn as I go.
Youre far more knowledgable than me. So you have priority. You are right and I am sadly wrong. :)
It's cool small game, I've defended much dumber things than that. Check out my case for the multi pump air rifle, I really stuck both feet in my mouth on that one.... Dooh :thumb:

Either people are here to learn or they are here to flaughnt what hey have, i'm proud to be the former(though i wish i had some of thier stuff).

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Are you thinking Semi-Auto, Pump, Over/Under or Side-by-Side?

What ever you do, stay away from 16Gauge, or 28Gauge or .410. Amm is either hard to find, expensive or limited in effectiveness- or all of the above.

My suggestions, all under $1500.

Semi-Autos

$800-900 Browning Gold 12 or 20. Smooth, light kicking, well made, reliable. Handles well. I own one.

Browning Silver, Winchester SuperX2, SuperX3. these 3 are basically a Browning Gold with a sllightly lower price tag- like $100 - 200 Less. Depends on where.

$700-1300 Fanchi I-12 & Benelli Montefeltro, or other Benelli Semi-Auto. Reliable, good handling, Light. My Dad has an I-12 Diamond- the plainer version is around $700 to 800.

$800 to 1300 Beretta 391. Softest kicking, super reliable- goes around 2000 rounds between serious cleanings. My brother has one

Remington 1100 Common, very nice gun, soft kicking. Price varies. We have 3, all in 20 Gauge.

Pump

$350-500 or so- Browning BPS. All Steel, handles great, ultra-reliable, ejects out the bottom, top tang safety. Dad had one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Garra is looking for a specific model and make from my re reading of his thread. Sorry garra I don't think I can help you any more, I'm a pump man, and i think you will be looking at either a side by side or a semi auto model.

An answer will come up for you if you are patient, I've noticed that the shotgun page is less frequented than most of the others. Perhapse it's because there just isn't that much to say about shotguns?
Yup pretty much looking for advice on good models that are worth the money and fits the criteria I am wanting to meet.

On another board I have gotten several suggestions which I am gonna research for reviews and pricing.

I do have a question about the shells though,

Is it correct that a shotgun that can shoot 3 1/2" shells can then shoot the other smaller sizes? I get confused on this, so want to be sure. If the answer is yes, than I would think it makes sense that whatever I get, should be 3 1/2. If this is faulty reasoning, would some one kindly explain.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you thinking Semi-Auto, Pump, Over/Under or Side-by-Side?

I dont know Jack, what would you reccomend for a shotgun for both ducks and small game such as squirrels and rabbits? I will rule out pumps. Side by sides and over and unders I love the look of. They just have a very classic, handsome look to them which I really like. Plus if I understand correctly, they are considered more reliable than autos. However, autos can be more advantageous I would think primarily when it comes to ducks. So thats a good thing also, and I would not be against them either.

Thanks for all the other suggestions as well, I wrote them down and gonna research them as well!

·
Registered
645 Posts
As far as i know the largest size and under as far as shells you can use in a shotgun. Now semi auto is another story, i don't think that you can use any thing but the one size it was made for. I'm not a semi auto owner so there is a high probability that I'm wrong on that one, so take it for what it's worth.

If you are looking for something you can pass down to your grand kids, I would see what I could do about getting a side by side.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I use a Mossberg 835 with titan tru-glo adjustable choke tube, for deer ,boar,turkey duck and rabbit/ squirrel. You have to know how your gun patterns with various chokes and at multiple ranges. On small game just hit them with the edge of the pattern.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Yup pretty much looking for advice on good models that are worth the money and fits the criteria I am wanting to meet.

On another board I have gotten several suggestions which I am gonna research for reviews and pricing.

I do have a question about the shells though,

Is it correct that a shotgun that can shoot 3 1/2" shells can then shoot the other smaller sizes? I get confused on this, so want to be sure. If the answer is yes, than I would think it makes sense that whatever I get, should be 3 1/2. If this is faulty reasoning, would some one kindly explain.
Modern Autos are just as reliable as a pump. I would not rule out a nice pump- like the BPS. I honestly would avoid O/U or SXS. Limited number of shells, plus they kick hard- and nice ones are usually too pricey. For Duck/Goose Hunting most loads are not pleasant to shoot, especially in a O/U. That has to do with how the recoil hits you. the Lower barrel isn't bad, but the top one is nasty.

Most guns can shoot shorter shells- the Browning Gold 3 1/2 Inch version- a Gas operated gun- will cycle reliably anything from a 2 3/4Inch, 1 1/8 Ounce target Load through the heaviest 3 1/2inch Magnum. It will fire lighter loads, but may not cycle them reliably. Mine is a 3 Inch version, which will cycle anything from a 1 Ounce target load to the heaviest 3 Inch magnum. My first choice, because of the Reliablility AND the reduced recoil , is a Gold. I use it for everything. Its soft kicking, reliable, and easy to clean.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
As far as i know the largest size and under as far as shells you can use in a shotgun. Now semi auto is another story, i don't think that you can use any thing but the one size it was made for. I'm not a semi auto owner so there is a high probability that I'm wrong on that one, so take it for what it's worth.

If you are looking for something you can pass down to your grand kids, I would see what I could do about getting a side by side.
It depends on the shells and which gun. See my post on this- in a 12 Gauge, the lightest shells I routinely see at work are 1 Oz. Target loads. a good, self compensating auto- like my Gold or a SuperX2 or SuperX3 will cycle them no sweat. the 3 1/2Inch version will cycle a 1 1/8 Oz target Load reliably. Some other makes don;t do so hot. The Mossberg 930 & 935 don't do so hot. about the only common production ammo I know of that is lighter in 12 Gauge is the Winchester WinLite 26Gram target loads.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have had some fun reading up on these shotguns today. I think as far as looks go, I am sort of drawn towards the Winchester Superx3.

One of the problems I am having is I have not really found any neutral reviews on the shotguns. The things I read are from their respective companies so of course, each shotgun is state of the art technology, and are the best shotguns ever produced.

My father has a Remington 870 Wingmaster which I am gonna take out with me tomorrow and give it a go. The Remington Wingmaster and the Benelli SBE were the 2 that were over all suggested to me the most, so I want to handle and hopefully fire both of them at least once before I make up my mind.

Im in no rush to buy one right now, I am sort of doing my research now to prepare for next season more or less. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt in deciding what I want almost more than when I finally get it.

I would like to hear from anyone else who had not given their opinions on the Winchester Sx2/3 shotgun please. If I was buying today, I think that would be the one I bought, but I havent heard nearly as many opinons about it as I have heard on several others

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Well I have had some fun reading up on these shotguns today. I think as far as looks go, I am sort of drawn towards the Winchester Superx3.

One of the problems I am having is I have not really found any neutral reviews on the shotguns. The things I read are from their respective companies so of course, each shotgun is state of the art technology, and are the best shotguns ever produced.

My father has a Remington 870 Wingmaster which I am gonna take out with me tomorrow and give it a go. The Remington Wingmaster and the Benelli SBE were the 2 that were over all suggested to me the most, so I want to handle and hopefully fire both of them at least once before I make up my mind.

Im in no rush to buy one right now, I am sort of doing my research now to prepare for next season more or less. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt in deciding what I want almost more than when I finally get it.

I would like to hear from anyone else who had not given their opinions on the Winchester Sx2/3 shotgun please. If I was buying today, I think that would be the one I bought, but I havent heard nearly as many opinons about it as I have heard on several others
Well in 2006, the SuperX3 Got an award from Outdoor Life- The Higher one- their version of Field & Stream's Best of the Best. I've handled several. Not that different than a Gold. The Silver is just like a Gold- one minor mechanical difference- the SX3 and the Silver don;t have "speed Loading".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts