Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
2,685 Posts
The single sharpened edged version of the Benchmade SOCP has a damned combo edge.. why? No bottle opener too?
There is a false unsharpened edge also. I like the feel and look of the doubled edged version I have but I'm warry of carrying it. I don't want to risk my concealed carry permit by carrying the dreaded concealed double edged fixed blade.
There are so many BS knife laws out there.

2,685 Posts
I am going to hijack this thread a little and say a dagger is probably the last tool I would carry for self defense for multiple reasons

First let's leave firearms out of the equation for now, which in the US is fairly stupid to do, but I understand you cant carry a firearm in all places and don't want to be completely unarmed so

I remember reading a study once of homocides in medieval England and the leading cause of murder was not edged weapons but staffs, staves, clubs, sticks, whatever you want to call them. Part of that was probably the fact that knives, and swords, were expensive, but also sticks, clubs, and staves are lethal. Robin Hood was known for his quarterstaff as well as his bow.

A decent walking stick or cane is a far better self defense weapon than a dagger

First a stout oak or hickory (or other) cane or walking stick has far more reach than a knife and in the hands of someone with rudimentary training actually more lethal.

Second it can be used to give blows to parts of the body, like an exposed kneecap, that are just impossible with a knife

Third, as any professional knfe fighter will tell you, just about anytime you have two halfway reasonably matched knife fighters together both will get cut, even the winner. I don't like being cut

Fourth due to the Americans with Disabilities Act you have a legal right to carry it just about anywhere and no authority can question your medical reasons for doing so. Try carrying a double edged dagger on a airplane or in a courthouse. Not only can you carry a oak cane, which is more lethal, but they can't even question your claim you need it, and the TSA has approved it

Fifth if you do decide on a knife think about how it will look in court. Trick blades, fancy carrying systems, logos, double edges, all look like you were looking for trouble and makes self defense claims harder. A hunting or utility knife can be about 99% as lethal and looks a lot more harmless than a double holster system and a blade marked "Defender" or a double edge dagger

My advice is get a good cane, some training, and practice with it

View attachment 444006
And it fits great in a pocket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts