Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to put together a small kit,one that attachés right to my belt.I want include the five C . Along with a few other items, a metal container would be good, something rectangular would make better fit.Here is the pouch, I am working with bellow,BTW I can return this pouch for some thing else if need be.Also if there is a way to create a container,from some thing else would like to here it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-in-Belt-Pouch-GP-45830N13/204853191

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
If you want small containers visit a pot shop. they have interesting (and non-interesting) containers from tiny all the way up to... small.

Oops, have to remind myself pot shops are illegal in some places. Cigarette/tobacco shops sell small containers for not pot, too.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use a 1 liter Nalgene bottle:

http://www.ems.com/nalgene-hdpe-wide-mouth-bottle-32-oz./1309848.html#q=nalgene+bottle&start=3

It will hold all your supplies, it's waterproof, it won't crack, melt or freeze (this is the soft-side Nalgene) and it only weighs 4oz. You will also have an emergency container.

Use this to attach it to your belt, bag or anything else:

http://www.ems.com/ems-h2o-cooler/1...e=&network=g&gclid=CJHvv9blyMsCFRY7gQod2m0PgA
This looks like a good container, was thinking of some thing to boil in .

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts
This looks like a good container, was thinking of some thing to boil in .
Well you could always substitute a steel Nalgene/Hydroflask/Kleen Kantene, but now you're adding a lot of weight that's going to be bouncing around on your hip.

More importantly, how are you going to heat said water to a boil? Unless you're packing fuel and a stove in there, you're talking sticks and matches. Have you ever boiled water in a canteen over an open fire? It's not terribly efficient in terms of time or fuel. If you ever have to actually using this kit, do you think you going to have the time, resources or ability to stop, make a fire and wait for water to boil?

If your concern is simply treating water to drink, you're better off dropping some chlorine dioxide tablets or Aqua Mira drops in the water instead - they're small and light, the process is much more efficient, and you can treat water on the move. And if your plan is cooking, you might want to reconsider food that doesn't need to be heated.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Thrift shop usually have a wide variety of small containers at a low price. go in with an open mind and look around. I have a couple of round metal containers that had a few butter cookies. I bought them with cookies at the dollar store. I'm still trying to find a use for them. Band aid cans are useful if you can find them

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you could always substitute a steel Nalgene/Hydroflask/Kleen Kantene, but now you're adding a lot of weight that's going to be bouncing around on your hip.

More importantly, how are you going to heat said water to a boil? Unless you're packing fuel and a stove in there, you're talking sticks and matches. Have you ever boiled water in a canteen over an open fire? It's not terribly efficient in terms of time or fuel. If you ever have to actually using this kit, do you think you going to have the time, resources or ability to stop, make a fire and wait for water to boil?

If your concern is simply treating water to drink, you're better off dropping some chlorine dioxide tablets or Aqua Mira drops in the water instead - they're small and light, the process is much more efficient, and you can treat water on the move. And if your plan is cooking, you might want to reconsider food that doesn't need to be heated.
I was contemplating that ,what do you think is a better way to go a sawyer straw or chemical treatment.Then I can go with the plastic container.

·
Free-ish Man
1,877 Posts
I was contemplating that ,what do you think is a better way to go a sawyer straw or chemical treatment.Then I can go with the plastic container.
Sawyer Mini. Doesn't make your water taste nasty like chemicals do. Quicker too.
If you end up trying the Nalgene size bottle on your belt make sure you give it a shot on a couple day hikes before taking it on anything more serious. IMO, it sucks having one of those on a regular belt. Swings and bangs around too much. Better off carrying it in your pack or get a war/battle belt if you really want it midline.

·
Only politics *****.
5,893 Posts
It just depends. Chemical treatment is easier and good if you have access to pretty clear water. The sawyer will work longer (more uses), but in freezing weather you may damage the filter. I tend to bring both, chemical as a backup for a couple of liters of water in the case i have issues with the sawyer, but that's for camping.

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts
Again, you haven't told us how you plan to use the kit. Is this something that's going to get regular or prolonged use, will it support one person or several, where do you plan to use it/under what conditions, or is this "just in case," and will most likely be sitting in the trunk of your car collecting dust?

In brief:

Filter:

Pro: Faster, no capacity limitation, will filter out large particles, pleasant taste.

Con: Larger, heavier, more expensive, requires additional accessory (compatibly threaded bottle, bag, etc), requires maintenance, won't filter viruses, can be damaged if it freezes while wet.

Chemical treatment:

Pro: Smaller, lighter, cheaper, kills bacteria and viruses.

Con: Takes longer, limited number of treatments, won't remove particles, my not taste pleasant, may not kill all protozoan cysts, may be harmful for certain people (especially with prolonged use).

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
//////////////

So would it be better to filter water first,and then second chemically treat it?

As far as use it will be left in my truck full time, I will carry it on my person ,when off the beaten path as a just encase.It is not for a 2 week camping trip,or a BOB.Some thing small inconspicuous,does not draw eyes or curiosity.But has enough to make feel easy ,that I have something with me in reach.Would like to incorporate the 5 c .But with water a high priority ,might be wise to have that option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.