Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching other threads with no specific answer found. Forgive me if this post already exists, but I have to ask. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and have been thinking on this for a while. I have small children(8 yr old boy and girl,18 month old boy, and one girl on the way.) and my oldest son is autistic. Does anyone have tips or ideas on how to prepare to "rapidly deploy" if/when shtf? I'm trying not to worry too much, as I have a bit to keep me busy here already. Anyone?

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I have recently found myself in the same boat regarding Autism and children.
I am afraid in a true SHTF situation my kid would go catatonic, just shutting down. I don't have any advice. Love them and try your best, hopefully our Heavenly Father will intervene and help us in that situation.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
We have a soldier in our group. He is often away and worries about the safety of his family. If the SHTF, they have a place to go. Kind of like insurance.

You might consider a Co-Op with other survivalists?

Having a soldier and his family would be a huge benefit to any survivalist group. You might not know dirt about farming, but a seasoned vet goes along way against raiders.

Reactions: cwi555 and quah00

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
I want to add a few other things. Many people in my group have children who have autism. They love their babies with all their hearts, and would do anything for them.

Many of us have also researched alternative medicines, even possible cures for autism.

I know this is a deeply personal matter, so I will leave it at that.

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hoping to get home soon and that things won't get as bad as I think they might more quickly than I'd like them to. I saw a post on a thread from someone in my hometown that's a member of a local group, but I'm new, so I can't contact them yet. Hopefully, I will be able to contact any of these people and establish report and/or membership.

And yes, I live, would die, and KILL for that boy. I pray too that if we have to get up and go, God will make a way to survive. It's just so daunting. If it were just me....but it's not and hasn't been for a while.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
What State do you live in? Maybe I can help introduce you to some people?

Reactions: quah00

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know. Maybe it's all the deploying and training and life, but I really don't trust "people" and I DO NOT believe in "the inherent goodness of man." Some place to hole up would be great, but not sure where. I have at least one idea, however.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
Quah00, I can't send you a private message.

There are many levels and faces to autism. Many people with milder forms would do better than me if something happened.

Can you tell us a little more about your oldest? How does autism manifest for him? What is his level of functioning? Where does his IQ range fall? How does he deal with social cues? What about things such facial and emotional recognition? How does he handle sensory information? Does it overload him? We just need a few more specifics to give good advice.

·
Always have an exit
3,711 Posts
I am the Father of a SN daughter, She is at the level of maybe a 7 year old girl on good days (She turns 21 next month). It is hard to plan unless you have knowledge of them over the matter of years.

We have planned that we do what we can, and plan for the worst. If or ever TSHTF the family stays together. Life would not be the same if I could not be with her and my wife.

All Military have forms to fill out declaring special needs children/Spouse. Talk with PAC and truly put time into your plan.

Good luck on your Journey, the rewards of having such children are countless on many levels....

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My son is diagnosed as having moderate/severe autism. He functions well, when guided, however he has social/communication difficulties. There are times when he immediately understands what's happening in a given situation and at other times it's difficult. He does recognize familiar people and places. He can be over stimulated by loud noises, crowds, and tense situations.

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am the Father of a SN daughter, She is at the level of maybe a 7 year old girl on good days (She turns 21 next month). It is hard to plan unless you have knowledge of them over the matter of years.

We have planned that we do what we can, and plan for the worst. If or ever TSHTF the family stays together. Life would not be the same if I could not be with her and my wife.

All Military have forms to fill out declaring special needs children/Spouse. Talk with PAC and truly put time into your plan.

Good luck on your Journey, the rewards of having such children are countless on many levels....
Sadly, the Army doesn't really seem to care just a whole lot. It's concern leans more heavily towards compliance.(ie. they have to be able to "accomodate" your exceptional family member) Whether or not they actually have the resource and personnel available to care for you SN family member is another matter.

My wife had to move back to Oklahoma City from Ft Campbell because they lied in order to ensure that I could PCS to 101st AB Div. I spent 3 months researching, communicating, and arguing about the issue and in the end I agreed because I trusted them to do what they promised.

Ended up when my son regressing and spending a couple grand out of pocket to get them home. Sorry, but I'm still kinda bitter about that.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
As the father of an autistic son I'll tell you something you already know. Every one of our kids is different. The way autism manifests itself in my 14-year-old can be different from your child. How'd I get him on board? Camping trips to get used to sleeping in something other than his room. As you know, they are VERY averse to change.

I bought him a 22 of his own as a reward for good grades many years ago. It introduced him to gun safety, the noise and the idea of shooting targets. The noise was the big thing for him.

The biggy would be the change in diet. No more Arbys which would be catastrophic in his word BUT I have put back a lot of the foods that he does eat - pastas, rice, certain veggies, etc.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've tried searching other threads with no specific answer found. Forgive me if this post already exists, but I have to ask. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and have been thinking on this for a while. I have small children(8 yr old boy and girl,18 month old boy, and one girl on the way.) and my oldest son is autistic. Does anyone have tips or ideas on how to prepare to "rapidly deploy" if/when shtf? I'm trying not to worry too much, as I have a bit to keep me busy here already. Anyone?
Quah00, thank you for your service.

I really feel that Crutch's approach to get hooked up with other like minded folks may be the best avenue for you. You would truly be an asset to any group and I am sure they would realize that and help you with your needs aswell.

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As the father of an autistic son I'll tell you something you already know. Every one of our kids is different. The way autism manifests itself in my 14-year-old can be different from your child. How'd I get him on board? Camping trips to get used to sleeping in something other than his room. As you know, they are VERY averse to change.

I bought him a 22 of his own as a reward for good grades many years ago. It introduced him to gun safety, the noise and the idea of shooting targets. The noise was the big thing for him.

The biggy would be the change in diet. No more Arbys which would be catastrophic in his word BUT I have put back a lot of the foods that he does eat - pastas, rice, certain veggies, etc.
You're right; they are all different. He does okay sleeping in different places. I had considered teaching him marksmanship, but I'm a little worried. He often acts independently and just when you think he's okay, he's meddling with something he knows he shouldn't. I just worry that he'll grow too comfortable, worse still, too lax with a firearm. I plan on buying his sister a rifle when I go back on leave. Perhaps I shall reconsider.

Diet.....I don't know. Might have to do the same thing, but I'm so adverse to grains as part of our diet. Might not have a choice...at first, anyway.

·
Angry, Anxious, Bridled
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quah00, thank you for your service.

I really feel that Crutch's approach to get hooked up with other like minded folks may be the best avenue for you. You would truly be an asset to any group and I am sure they would realize that and help you with your needs aswell.
The lot of you may be on to something, but I worry about strangers. If it were just me, I'd be less worrisome, but I have to be able to trust others to take care of my family, and thus far life's left me on the losing end of that fight. Perhaps if worse comes to worse. Maybe I'm worrying too much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.