Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 3 year old HP computer...yeah it blows at videogames.... so my question is, what will i have to buy for it so i can play games like company of heroes: opposing fronts, or meidevil total war 2 on the highest graphic setting and it wont lag?no i cant buy a new computer, but i can buy new parts.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What speed is your hp? If you want the highest graphics you may need a highend video card pci express 768 meg or higher. A 512 meg might work. This all depends on the type and speed of your processor and the amount of memory.

·
Registered
946 Posts
At a minimum for gaming on a win xp box you want 1gb of ram. It'll be a different machine once you have that amount or more.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
At a minimum for gaming on a win xp box you want 1gb of ram. It'll be a different machine once you have that amount or more.
I agree with the 1 gig ram. After that to run high resolution graphics you will need to have a good video card. I bought the game battlefield 2 i think and it ran terrible on a 3.06 Gig processor 1 gig ram and 128 meg video card. I upgraded the video card to a 768 meg and can run the highest resolution there is. I don't know what the sweet spot is but it is higher than 128 probably around 512 meg.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
it has 200 GB of memory. 512 MB of RAM. 3400+ AMD athlon 64 processor. and idk what "speed" is
Buy and install the most RAM that your computer can handle. I put 2 GB in my 8 year old Gateway and can play World of Warcraft quite smoothly (WoW is a huge memory pig). Total for two 1 GB sticks was $60 at BestBuy.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
The AMD 3400+ is a 2.2Ghz 64 bit proc, pretty tame in the current world of dual and quad core proc's.

Does your HP have integrated video? (Usually HP does) If you do, then a video card upgrade is in order since integrated video 'shares' your RAM. Even a 256mb video card will perform better than shared RAM. If you swap in a video card, you will also need to disable the on board video.

Max out your RAM, it's cheap, and will even help websurfing if you use a tabbed browser.

Keep in mind, any computer a few years older than the game you wish to play is going to be working hard to keep up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
it has 200 GB of memory. 512 MB of RAM. 3400+ AMD athlon 64 processor. and idk what "speed" is
To play those games you need to get atleast 2GB of ram and a better GPU. The 3400 should be at or around 2.2-2.4GHZ not sure. You can probably overclock it but doubtful since it is a HP. I would recommend these upgrades personally.

2GB of G.SKill DDR400 Ram for s939 chipset or 2GB of G.SKill DDR800 for AM2
PNY 8800GT 512mb ( This card will give you plenty of power while not bottlenecking you CPU that bad.)

With the GPU you will have to check on your PSU wattage and 12v rail. If you don't have atleast 18amps on the 12v rail you will need to upgrade to a bigger stronger PSU as well.

With these two upgrades you should be able to play max settings with a resolution of atleast 1440 x 900 smoothly. PM if you have more questions or contact me on AIM @ ToolMafia360

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Funny thing is, all these upgrades are gonna cost too, maybe not like a hot new gaming 'puter, but up there with a wally-world special.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Funny thing is, all these upgrades are gonna cost too, maybe not like a hot new gaming 'puter, but up there with a wally-world special.
For the 8800GT and 2GB DDR800 ram it is $147+ S&H. Same GPU w/ 2GB of DDR400 it is $155+ S&H. It really isn't that expensive of an upgrade, and if he needs a new PSU that will cost around 40-60 for a good one.

Ken, if you have the money to drop and are on atleast AM2 architecture we can get your pc running great but it will cost you around $250 for complete true upgrades. There are some great combos out there you can get to really up the bang of your pc.

*update*

I have been tweaking some minor builds and if you are on AM2 i have a CPU, GPU, PSU, and Ram picked out, and you also get COD5 with the GPU. The price is $280 with $25 in rebates so $255 total and that includes 3 day shipping to my zip. Now i understand that might be to high and we don't have much info on your current rig so, post up your specs and how much you are willing to spend.

Motherboard
CPU Socket
PCI-e 16x?
PSU wattage and 12v rail rating

A good program to find out all except the Power supply info is CPU-z.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i put a GeForce 8400 GS in it and it runs SO MUCH BETTER. but its still not what i want it to be. and it blew up my sound card thingy. yeah, i dont know anything about computers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i put a GeForce 8400 GS in it and it runs SO MUCH BETTER. but its still not what i want it to be. and it blew up my sound card thingy. yeah, i dont know anything about computers.
8400GS is not meant for gaming. Download the program CPU-z. It will give us info on your Motherboard, CPU, and Memory. Then we can go from there. Anything less than an 8600GT or 8600GTS is a waste. The ideal card to get is a 9800GT, 8800GT or 9600GT. Also how much can or are you willing to spend?

·
Food Storage Solutions
1,029 Posts
Depends on what OS you are using, if you are using vista do 4 gigs of ram minimum if you are using xp you can get away with 2.

Processor: get anything in the range of a 2.5ghz + dual core. (AMD is cheaper and still jst as reliable)
Graphics card: stick with nvidia and get the 8800gt (512) ya 512 is more than enough.
Get a 500gb+ hd: games today can take up as much as 20 gigs of space
Make sure your cooling is sufficient as the 8800gt can pack the heat when running intense games.

Economically i would go for a quad core though for the soul reason that you will get more use out of it longer. So in the long run it would be cheaper

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts

I'm sorry, but I can run Driver (1st edition) beautifully on a PIII 500 w/ a 32MB video card....

I'm not really familiar with the requirement's for his games but I'll be they suggest dual core...

He apparently already popped his sound card- how deep do you want him to go?

Every HP I've run across, the power supply is lacking. Running hot video cards and faster procs and bigger HD's and more ram is going pop the power supply as well.

Everyone means well, we are all trying to help, but we need to know:

What are the games system requirements you are trying to run?
If you can't find the specs, at least tell us what model HP you have, we can get an idea from there.
How much improvement are you expecting?

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
honestly, idk what model, it has W.E.B.N. stickers al over it. and the dual core things are a rip off.... if you have 2 of them running at 1.5 ghz you would expect 3 ghz total???? wrong, that means you can run two programs at 1.5 ghz, not one at 3ghz. my uncle fell for that trap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
honestly, idk what model, it has W.E.B.N. stickers al over it. and the dual core things are a rip off.... if you have 2 of them running at 1.5 ghz you would expect 3 ghz total???? wrong, that means you can run two programs at 1.5 ghz, not one at 3ghz. my uncle fell for that trap.
Dual Core is not a rip off and your correct a 1.5 ghz dual does not equal 3.0ghz. With a dual core cpu, both cores can handle a task helping out the GPU allowing for higher framerates. The dual core allows for better physics and calculations. More threads = more power. I went from a s939 4000+ OC'd at 2.8ghz on air to a AMD 180 Opteron @ 2.4ghz and got an increase of atleast 25 FPS in CSS. I was averaging around 40 with the single core and a 7900GS. Went to solid 60+ constant with everything maxed, AA @ 4x AF @8x on 1280 x 1024. The only problem is most games currently aren't optimized for multiple cores.

For Medieval your CPU is ok, but a dual core should help. The shear numbers of the armies and AI in those games can bog a CPU real bad. As for Company of Heroes you will need a much more powerful GPU to run max settings. I run the first COH max great on DX9 with an 8800GTS 320mb. An 8800GT will suit you perfect, but the problem with that is your PSU is probably way to weak so look to add another $50 for a rock solid PSU. The only downside is now your CPU becomes a pretty hefty bottleneck for the 8800GT GPU.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts