Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the nOOb question, but, when you set up a sling for your long gun, do you set it up to carry barrel pointing up or down? Down seems the safest, but in my Mossberg 2008 Gun Annual mag I have here handy, every gun totin' pic has it barrel up...

thoughts? Thanks in advance.,,.. :)

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trained barrel down, that way crap doesn't fall down it.
yeah, that's the kind of reasoning I was following. that, and god forbid you have an accidental discharge, it's going down & into the ground (hopefully not your boot ;) ).

think I'll keep it like I have it now, set up for barrel down. thanks for the quick response.

·
Fideli Certa Merces
178 Posts
Its really up to you and whatever works best for you.

I personally sling with muzzle up, but I also keep a cap on it if out hiking, etc.

My thought is that if I kneel down, I'd much rather have the butt of the rifle hit the ground, than the barrel.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
i like african carry- since i never use a drop holster with my rig, If I used american carry (barrel up-strong side), the sling fouls my holster. African carry is easier for me, or I'll use it in 3 point mode.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Barrel up, with exceptions. Rain/snow or chance of debris, down, otherwise up. When I am using a sling I am not hunting so speed of retrieval is not an issue. As for discharge, up probably will not hit you or anyone else. Down can hit you.

And then there was my uncle in the 1950's ... was deer hunting... didn't get anything... was putting the loaded rifle into the back seat one-handed with his thumb over the end of the barrel. Spent the rest of his life with one thumb. He had to drive himself almost 20 miles to the hospital.

·
Registered
841 Posts
A traditional sling works equally well for either. Barrel up or barrel down, both are quick to get into action if 1) you are using a rife that doesn't have a magazine protruding and 2) you know what you are doing. A long modern style magazine makes a traditional sling a little slower because the rifle doesn't roll into position as easily.

Up or down all depends on conditions- deep snow, barrel up, you get the idea.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You can do what you want, up or down, but unless you plan on doing a lot of tactical entries, a simple two-point sling is actually the most versatile set-up; it will allow you a variety of carry options without constraining you or mandating that you reconfigure it.

Most of the time I like African carry, with the muzzle down on the support side, and I set all my long guns up this way. Transition to shouldered shooting is quick when it's needed, but the gun is easy to control and stays out of the way when you don't. If you need to switch quickly to your sidearm (malfunction or running dry when at close range), sling the rifle across your back (rather than over your shoulder, for better security), but still muzzle down and pointed to your support side, to keep your shooting hand and holster clear.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A traditional sling works equally well for either. Barrel up or barrel down, both are quick to get into action if 1) you are using a rife that doesn't have a magazine protruding and 2) you know what you are doing. A long modern style magazine makes a traditional sling a little slower because the rifle doesn't roll into position as easily...
It does from African carry, where the long magazine is generally oriented forward and outboard (depending on the location of the sling swivels). The big mag actually makes for an easy index and handhold as you bring your rifle up with the near (support) hand. Then you reach for the PG with the firing hand and rotate the rifle as it crosses to the shooting shoulder. Very simple, even with a large-capacity mag in place.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Figure out what works and fits you then buy spare sling swivels and put em on. I have upper and lower rear swivels on the Mak to go either way. The .30 carbine underfolder has 4 different rear places the sling can go. Generally the front swivel should stay on the side. Depending on the receiver and action you may be able to drill and install a center point swivel. I think I explained this in another thread some where.

Easy aftermarket stuff done at home.

In the pic above the rear sling can be moved to the top of the but plate for easy handy carry when the stock is folded out as an example, and the make generic multipoint systems for around $25.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In rough terrain muzzle down can easily get your muzzle filled with dirt, mud, debris. If hunting with one or more partners, you have to change carry to make sure someone in front or behind you is not being covered by your muzzle.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You put a sling on it...you wear it up or down...as you see fit.
Where was the problem?
the sling has a padded area, that is not centered. it's towards one end or the other. that's why I had to decide pre-install. I can switch it if I need to of course. but, that's why I was asking. :)

also, thanks for all the great replies fellas, I really appreciate it.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
This is interesting to me...as I really don't carry my long guns around...I am not familiar with "American" or "African Carry"...does anyone have photo examples of each method?

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
In dust storms, rain, fog and snow the barrel goes down. In sunny weather, the barrel can go up. By putting the barrel down you keep junk, dirt, sand, snow and water out of the barrel.

American carry = barrel up. African carry = barrel down.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
In dust storms, rain, fog and snow the barrel goes down. In sunny weather, the barrel can go up. By putting the barrel down you keep junk, dirt, sand, snow and water out of the barrel.

American carry = barrel up. African carry = barrel down.
OK, that clears it up...it's that simple. I was getting confused with strong side this and support side that...thanks!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
here is the best way to think... if you have your safety set you are not going to have an AD so that is a non issue so if you are hunting barrel up will prevent you from plugging the barrel if you trip.... BUT if you are carrying defensively barrel down will allow you the fastest move to a shooting position

1 - 20 of 20 Posts