Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
It looks like fun but,
In reality in use if you actually used that amount of ammo after SHTF where is your resupply coming from? How much ammo are you going to try to carry if you plan on using the thing much?

Just some random thoughts

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
It looks like fun but,
In reality in use if you actually used that amount of ammo after SHTF where is your resupply coming from? How much ammo are you going to try to carry if you plan on using the thing much?

Just some random thoughts
Let's just assume for the minute you are in a shtf in which you are now somehow in a militia defending your town or even a dirtbag assailing a town/home, etc.

A combat load for a Marine using the M249 SAW or the M27 IAR is 600 rounds. That is 3 drums for the saw or 22 magazines for the M27.

It is easier with the 3 drums, but plenty of mags can be carried in an assault pack.

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
Let's just assume for the minute you are in a shtf in which you are now somehow in a militia defending your town or even a dirtbag assailing a town/home, etc.

A combat load for a Marine using the M249 SAW or the M27 IAR is 600 rounds. That is 3 drums for the saw or 22 magazines for the M27.

It is easier with the 3 drums, but plenty of mags can be carried in an assault pack.
And your point is what?
First, that Marine is not alone
Second he has the potential of resupply
However I might find myself alone, really hope not.
And I know for a fact there will not be anyone coming with a fresh supply of ammo should I need.
While I might carry 600 rounds, probably not that is all I have. Is it not better to strive to make each shot count rather than burning through what I have?
Not trying to argue, just asking questions from my own point of view.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,984 Posts
This is all about the fun.
Of course it is. Some just dont know how to have it. ;)

Now if your were suggesting it was for something serious...........:xeye:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We have had ours for a while and can say that it is a blast. The one we have will work on an AR and adapts for a 10/22. The .22 gets used the most as it is cheaper and easier for newbies to learn to shoot.

Practical applications would be few and far between, not unlike our M-2 Carbines. Semi-auto can be delivered fast enough and with some accuracy.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
And your point is what?
And I know for a fact there will not be anyone coming with a fresh supply of ammo should I need.
While I might carry 600 rounds, probably not that is all I have. Is it not better to strive to make each shot count rather than burning through what I have?
It doesn't matter how much ammo you might NEED to expend: if you need to expend it and you don't, you are dead.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
And your point is what?
I'm saying you can carry 600 rounds to answer your question about how much to carry.

As for resupply, even in combat operations for the most part you only have what you brought to the party.

Every shot needs to count in a firefight, suppressive fire is a good thing.

Now, the best suppressive fire is the kind that actually hits and kills the enemy, but sometimes you NEED to sling some lead.

I don't see the bump fire stocks as a good mechanism for simulating automatic fire as it is a sloppy innacurate system.

However, the Echo trigger looks like it has some serious potential.

I'm wanting to do a Colt LMG clone or get that belt fed 9mm upper with one. With an ultra light weight bcg it would be insanely fast rates of fire. If you can make it operate reliably you would have a heck of a weapon.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I don't see the bump fire stocks as a good mechanism for simulating automatic fire as it is a sloppy innacurate system.
Hand held full auto rifle fire is not accurate either. The bump fire thing can be somewhat improved to make it less sloppy.
I don't have one and don't plan to get one, simply because it doesn't fit my plans. But I can envision quite a few situations when it might work (improved).

·
Paratrooper X
3,547 Posts
Hand held full auto rifle fire is not accurate either. The bump fire thing can be somewhat improved to make it less sloppy.
I don't have one and don't plan to get one, simply because it doesn't fit my plans. But I can envision quite a few situations when it might work (improved).
I know one dead Taliban guru that would beg to differ when I nailed him with 43 rounds, at 50m, from a M249, before he hit the ground

·
What hell, pay attention
8,984 Posts
Hand held full auto rifle fire is not accurate either.
It can be when used/employed properly.

What would be detrimental, would be "trying" to get the gun to cooperate when you need it on demand and without thought.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.