Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in videos of peoples gear, that there sleeping bags are usually REALLY compact and that they're about the size of two TP rolls stacked on top of each othere when stuffed in their sack. My sleeping bags take up space about the size of a bed pillow rolled up. Where do they get such small ones?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
your talking down bags. Check out Backpacker.com click on their gear guide/search for some of the best info on backpacking/camping gear. Just remember the smaller and lighter the sleeping bag, the more $$$ you'll spend. Would also check out campmor.com for good deals/price on backpacking/camping gear.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
They also have compression sacks. Down is a lot lighter and a lot more compact. The downside is that if it gets wet, it looses a lot of insulation properties and takes long to dry. Synthetics are a lot bulkier.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Look for Snugpak, they make bags for the British military among others. Nice quality, but as stated earlier nice price too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those bags are most often down bags (companies such as North Face, Marmot, REI, Mammut, Mountain Hardwear ect.) Down is extremely compressible and you can get it that small without a compression sack.

There are also some rather compressible synthetic bags, most often the filling is primi loft. I have an REI Nooksack and I can stuff it down to grapefruit size.

Try to look at sleeping bags in the ultralight category.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts