Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good light sleeping bag or system that would be good for a fall/ summer/ spring kind of backpacking?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I like the coleman line of sleeping bags. Their not expensive, and they get the job done.

I made this video in March of 2008 while on a camping trip with my kids. The only thing that I did not like about the bag, the compressions straps are sewn at the seams on the stuff sack, which makes for a weak point in the design. If you pull the compression straps a little too much, there is a chance of the strap tearing loose from the stuff sack. The compression strap should have ran over the end of sack, which would have made it a lot stronger.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
I have a 40 degree mummy bag I bought years ago at the LL Bean 2nd's store. I have a bag liner I use with it and find most nights in the summer I can get away using just the liner as my sleeping bag and use the bag itself as a pad. Spring and fall I use the liner in the bag but usually the bag is unzipped.

A lot of people here like Wiggy's sleeping bags. I have no experience with them yet. I think pairing one of the lightweight wiggy's with a decent bag liner and you'd be good to go.

·
striving for perfection
113 Posts
what type of camping are you doing?

What would be a good light sleeping bag or system that would be good for a fall/ summer/ spring kind of backpacking?
This may depend on what type of camping you are doing, as Kev stated the Coleman bags are great, I use them for car camping.

If you want to go ultra light and go deep in the woods you need something even lighter. I use a Mont-bell #5, a bit expensive but it only weighs 1lb 2 oz, and packs to 4.8" x 9.5", I can go for a 3 day and night trip with a pack only weighing about 15-20 pounds (depending on food choices).
I have not yet used it in the fall. http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTB3940

The only downfall with a down filled bag is they are useless when they are wet, for fall and winter camping I use a North Face with polar guard insulation.
Polarguard still has some insulation effects even when wet from persperation.
http://www.polarguard.com/advantages.htm

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
I bought two Halo 3 Recon sleeping bags used by the Britts in OD a couple of years ago for $50 each, they came with a compression bag bringing the size down to just about football size making them fit in my ruck perfectly and wiegh under 3 lbs. They are rated to somewhere around 30*? but I found that adding a poncho liner inside will drop its effectivness considerably while on a FTX.

·
Happy to be here!
4,947 Posts
I swear by the Big Agnes line. I'm a bit older, so sleeping on the ground was really taking a toll on me. Especially on those longer (50-100 mile) week long treks. The Big Agnes bag/ pad design is very comfortable, and not too heavy (depending on the model you choose).I love that their bags are cut a bit roomy, and you can't roll off the pad at night. Their temperature ratings are accurate too. It really gave me a second chance at hiking. I would look on EBay for the best deals on them. You should be able to get their basic synthetic model (Encampment I think), with pad, for about $80.

·
Registered
230 Posts
has anyone tried the Cabella's bags... I'm always cold so I was looking at their really thick mummy style one... looks a little purple instead of blue but I can live with that as long as I'm warm at night! I know it's a little bulky and heavy but it's close in size to my USMC bag that I had to pack around long enough so I will just suck it up and deal with that!

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
has anyone tried the Cabella's bags... I'm always cold so I was looking at their really thick mummy style one... looks a little purple instead of blue but I can live with that as long as I'm warm at night! I know it's a little bulky and heavy but it's close in size to my USMC bag that I had to pack around long enough so I will just suck it up and deal with that!

Yes but not the one you are talking about. I have one of the rectangle Outfitter bags, heavy canvas on the outside, and no nylon on the inside. I use a liner and its heavy as a dead priest, but for hunting it has lots of room and doesnt crowd my legs like a mummy bag.

I wouldnt carry it farther than the truck and camp though. Its miserably heavy, much heavier than my MSS.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I use a marmot sawtooth.. 3lbs.. its goose down so it shrinks down well add a foam/air mat its air with foam inside if it goes flat.. you still have some inslation.. That and a tarp bug net and you good for most places..

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
Does anyone know where i can get a good price on GI sleep systems
Ebay. I have actually purchased all the components seperately and it was cheaper than anywhere I could find the complete system. I now have the Bivy, black ang green bags and the stuff sack for a grand total of $78 (including all the S&H charges). I actually found the patrol bag and it came with a molle sleep system carrier bag.

Now if I could just find a pair of the ECWCS goretex pants in woodland size medium long I'd be a happy camper.

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
I would go with a lighter Snug Pak bag and an ultra light bivy sac. Slide your sleep pad into the bivy under the sleeping bag and it all stays together during the night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts