Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between a lightweight 0 Degree or lower sleeping bag that I could easily carry on my back, but may not be as sturdy vs. a Military down or down/synthetic filled (ECW) vs. the modular 3 piece bag set up with a patrol back, sleeping bag and Goretex bivy cover. I know down would be heavy when wet, but seems to be my preference right now. I don't like the feel of nylon but it is lighter to carry. I don't plan to do backpacking voluntarily other than maybe a one nighter. I have a perfect BOL at home, but travel for a living and could well be away from home when SHTF. Likely bug out scenarios would be forest fire or forced evac. Sheltering in place would be from a broken dam(we are high enough not to be affected other than cut off from town), earthquake (we've had two mild ones in four years), and snowstorms where power is out for days(yep, had them too). We like to camp in spring, summer and fall, maybe winter. It rarely gets below 30 in winter, but can get down to 10 or 15 for a few days at a time. Already have a summer weight but it is double size, not warm enough to depend on and too large to carry.

Opinions?

·
Stay Ready very Ready
475 Posts
I agree with Muzzle. If you have the cash then buy the modular bag. Then you are prepared where ever you are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Layered sleep system.
Unless you're talking about for summer camps that are well regulated.

The Modular Sleep System or MOD-3 (Also refered to as the ASS - Army Sleep System) is a great setup. Not cheap, but it's worth it.

Wiggy's Ultima Thule is also a winner.
Beyond those bags, I don't have a lot of experience, but I have bought surplus bags that proved to me you cannot freeze to death in your sleep...

...You'll shiver yourself awake long before that happens.

Cheers,
AFWX

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Look I have a sungpak, a 3 system military, and while not infantry have been around a lot of them. When we go out(infantry friends) 9-10 times its going to be the fartsack (gortex outer liner) and wooby(poncho liner). Been snowed on, etc and frankly I was fine. A bit cold but fine. I will say if your way North maybe the 3 system would be necessary.

Frankly you can make debris shelters, and take your wooby and be so hot you would cook yourself right out. I frankly wish I hadn't bought the 3 system and if I am lazy and its real cold I just snatch up my sungpack and the gortex and I am good.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
personally im a big fan of the mod3 essentially you can tailor your sleep gear and carried weight by what layers you take.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
MID,

You sleep in a tent?
Nope sorry if I had something confusing that was just sleeping bag related stuff. You can get a gortex liner online for 75 bucks. You can also get a sungpak sleeping bag which was 120ish. Very small and handy.

I am however getting a hammock sleeping system due to the water(flooding) and bugs in my area being horrible in the summers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nope sorry if I had something confusing that was just sleeping bag related stuff. You can get a gortex liner online for 75 bucks. You can also get a sungpak sleeping bag which was 120ish. Very small and handy.

I am however getting a hammock sleeping system due to the water(flooding) and bugs in my area being horrible in the summers.
I hear ya.
Sleeping on the ground is for folks who want to freeze or get eaten by bugs.
Either under it (even just 6" or so) or above it... I think the hammock is a decent idea if you're in a wooded area.
A collapsible litter can be an acceptable cot with some ingenuity.

The 3-layer sleep system, from my experience, allows you to sleep on the bare ground without too much freezing. For "on the go" type activities, this is desirable. Otherwise, you're right. It's a bit overkill.

For survival though, certain things shouldn't be skrimped around.

Cheers,

AFWX

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
yeah I agree with that, but if I am surviving I am gonna cut down pine branches etc and make a pad which is 10 times more effective then that sleep system.

Frankly that sleeping bag with a good tent might work in a barron place with no trees etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts