Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing my sleeping bag in GHB with something of less bulky. How do wool blankets do? It is routinely in the 20's and 30's at night where I live, once in a while lower. I already have a tarp to use as a shelter, and a sleeping mat. The sleeping bag works good, but is very big, which is why I would like to replace it.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I am considering replacing my sleeping bag in GHB with something of less bulky. How do wool blankets do? It is routinely in the 20's and 30's at night where I live, once in a while lower. I already have a tarp to use as a shelter, and a sleeping mat. The sleeping bag works good, but is very big, which is why I would like to replace it.
I am a big believer in 100% wool blankets (slept under one in a severe North Chicago winter back in the '60s.) That being said the containment of a sleeping bag is hard to beat. I think the wool blanket is more versatile, but given the choice between the two I'd probably opt for the sleeping bag in sub freezing temps.

Allan

·
Registered
367 Posts
Once for ounce, I think the sleeping bag would be a better alternative. A wool blanket that would keep you warm enough in those temperatures would be very heavy, imo.

For lightweight warmth, also consider wearing a silk t-shirt and long johns under your clothes when using your sleeping bag. :)

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
I'm an over doer sometimes, but with good reason. If you want to dump your sleeping bag, then do so, but only after you have items to insure your warmth and comfort. I suggest a Military Poncho and a Poncho liner. You can wear it like a coat, raincoat, or use it like a sleeping bag. BUT.... supplement it with 2 or 3 reflective casualty blankets. The vinyl type with the reflective material on one side. This will give you something to wrap up in on very cold nights. I would even add a wool blanket. You can roll it up tight in your poncho and liner, and put the folded casualty blankets in your pack. You need to INSURE your warmth and comfort. If you are cold, you will be miserable and in danger. You won't sleep and your morale will go down hill along with your survival attitude.
When I travel, my sleeping bag is in my vehicle in case I'm stranded. But my bug out bag has the above items in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts