Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, you gotta bug out alone, you have the means to build a solid shelter and or have a solid tent with a mat to keep you off the ground.

You have the basic thermals for winter + sweaters parka's etc, and you understand and know how to thermoregulate yourself.

Imagine you have to bug out for a year, what is the ONE sleeping bag you would take.

Mainly looking for temperature ratings but feel free to throw in brand names if anyone wishs.

-Rob
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
My early model Quallofill Slumber Jack two-bag sleep system. Light bag down to 30, medium bag 30 to -20, light bag inside medium bag, to -50.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
timberwolfsports.com

·
Registered
317 Posts
around here you would be fine with a 0 degree bag. or get a 0 degree bag + a liner. Use the liner in the summer and combine the two, similar to what jerry said, for the dead of winter.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Wow you need to do a search for sub zero bags. Expedition Bags. Feather bags if they get wet are a bummer and hard to dry out. Get a liner for any one you get it will help keep it clean and keep it from from smelling since you can wash the liner and dry it. Check out North Face and Kelty I have had both and they were very good bags Gerry company also made some good bags but I am not sure if they are still around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use el cheapo Wal Mart Ozark trail fleece sleeping bags (I have three) the colder it gets the more layers I add. it makes a lightweight, cheap, and very weather flexible system. After three layers I just start adding natural insulation ie. leaves, pine needles, whatnot. Keeping a good fire helps too. So far my sleep system has cost me about $30. Found the bags on sale.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use el cheapo Wal Mart Ozark trail fleece sleeping bags (I have three) the colder it gets the more layers I add. it makes a lightweight, cheap, and very weather flexible system. After three layers I just start adding natural insulation ie. leaves, pine needles, whatnot. Keeping a good fire helps too. So far my sleep system has cost me about $30. Found the bags on sale.

Huh, gota link for em? Or brand name? Seems a cool idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The brand name is Ozark Trail, and I only see them at Wal-Mart in the camping section. I couldn't find anything on line that looks like it. It's just basically a synthetic fleece blanket with a zipper around the edge. For colder weather I just stuff one into another. For extremely cold weather I stuff two into one. Three layers of synthetic polar fleece is very warm, even when wet. It's also dries really fast. It's lightweight, cheap, warm, and flexible. I like this so much that I use it as a blanket around the house too!

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
Although synthetic fill is more adaptable... I would go with my downfill Marmot Angel Fire wrapped in an Integral Design Bivvy- regardless of shelter. I am a cold sleeper!!! (Otherwise for synthetics: SNUGPAK all the way!!!)

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
Yep- military modular system is good- and I would recommend looking at snugpak's military options- they are the best at weight to warmth to pack size considerations. British but available in the US on the internet readily...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts