Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a poncho which can be used as a tarp shelter, but i'm wondering what would be a good sleeping bag to use.

The features i want are are: moisture/sideways rain protection, mosquito proof, for as cold as possible, lightweight, and compact.

My max price is about 120, hoping for something under 100...So that rules out bivvys, here's what I was looking at so far, but haven't found many reviews on either...

SnugPak TravelPak Traveller ~$65 @ 7C/2C
Recon 3 ~120 @ -5C

...Or I could get a hammock that has a mosquito net, and use a non-netted sleeping bag, which would probably be wiser. Post any suggestions if you have them.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
What climate are you working in? Do you want to make your sleeping system a multiple layer operation. It is kind of like layering clothes. YOu can take an inexpensive bag throw in a fleece bag from Walmart as a liner and add a wool blanket if you wish. YOur poncho can act as your waterproofing. YOu also can spray down your bag with "Scotchgard" substitute. In a milder climate you can in effect have three sleeping systems if you need them. Look forward to seeing the answers you get. Larry

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I say buy 2 $40 dollar bags, you are not going to be able to sleep in an extreme cold weather bag in warm mosquito weather and you won't need mosquito netting in cold weather .Take the appropriate bag for the time of year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Slumberjack makes a really good product. I have a 0f degree mummy and a 30f degree mummy bag. I got for around $70-$80. The roll down to a pretty small size. In warmer weather I can not zip the bag all the way or use the hood. From reviews I read the snugpaks typically don't feel like they match up with the weather rating. From what I've seen the $40 car camping bags are just way to bulky for the minimal cold protection they offer. Silk bag liners can be added to any bag and you get about another 10-15 degrees.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a new slumberjack at a yard sale for dirt cheap, the label just says "Aurora" with "Hollofil II", and it's a shiny olive color, can't find it online or what its rated for, but its pretty hefty. I got a compression sack at REI (among other things), and it definitely halfed its size, but it's still nothing like a snugpak. Though at 1/10 of the price, i have money to buy other stuff :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.