Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am wondering. I was not real interested in SKS's during the Clinton years, but now that we are down to about 22 days before Obama takes office. Do I need to buy my SKS and Semi .22 now before it is a assault weapon. What may change will no more of them be allowed to be sold. I just want to know what yall think. I don't have much money right now but do I need to make this a priority. Thanks

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Having a few SKS's around is a good thing.

Bad time to buy though.

I think the .22 will be OK unless it's ther mags your worried about... Get em...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If you can still find one, get a SKS as a low budget MBR. Get Ammo NOW and stripper clips for the fastest loading.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The SKS was not named on the last AWB ban bill that failed to get enough votes. The only variant on the list was the ones that were designed to take the detachable magazine. The fixed 10 round mag rilfes hopefully will be exempt.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Forget the SKS, I'd get a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 223 plus there is a whole S' load of accessories for those things. The SKS ballistics is less than a 30/30, (for that) I'd buy a Marlin lever action.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
if you can find them get them now. i'm buying my 500 rounds now while its under a million dollars...

on my list is also spare parts and alot of cleaning supplies because the are flamible so thay might become WMD's

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, I am wondering. I was not real interested in SKS's during the Clinton years, but now that we are down to about 22 days before Obama takes office. Do I need to buy my SKS and Semi .22 now before it is a assault weapon. What may change will no more of them be allowed to be sold. I just want to know what yall think. I don't have much money right now but do I need to make this a priority. Thanks
Do you have anything else, or is this SKS going to be your first military long arm? If so, it's not a bad choice, and in your area you can probably find a decent used one at a price that won't empty your wallet completely. You're kinda behind the curve, as I'm sure you know. As Nomad said - bad time to buy. But if you gotta do it, you gotta do it.

Find a decent SKS. Don't modify it with tacticool junk - put that money into spam cans of ammo (as much as you can afford), some stripper clips, and maybe a ghost ring sight. Make sure you clean it out before shooting, lots of folks never get them clean enough for safety - at the least make sure the firing pin channel is clean enough to let the FP rattle in it. Then start shooting it, and make every shot a learning shot. Get proficient with it, and you'll be better off capabilities wise than 90% of the shooters out there.

If an new AWB comes to pass, I'd bet that the writers will make sure to close those "loopholes" that were in the old one, so rifles that are centerfire, detachable mag, or "military style" will also be part of the new AWB. Same goes for hicap mags. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see night vision, and some other "military" use technologies specified either. Imported surplus ammunition? I'd expect that to dry up too. Commercial Wolf and stuff will still be around, but I don't expect to see more spam cans/battlepacks/etc coming into the country after the new AWB goes into effect. So pick up your "cheap":eek: surplus ammo now.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
one think with old military firearms...perticularly the SKS is that there prone to failures. the gas system is the weak spot. Tapco is the only company that makes new replacments and its $50 for just the tube and hand guard. if you buy a used SKS ask to test fire it first. check the barrel through and through, crown and all. make sure it cycles fine. believe me SKS can be a BIG PITA! sksboards.com has alot of great info.

i bought my SKS for $150, $170 after tax and such. so far i've replaced, or will be soon, nearly the whole gas system for a total cost of about $100 for the parts and who knows how much in shipping. all in all i think it was worth it, An AR15 would be nice but i couldent hardly afford to shoot it and at less that 1/4 the price i have a rifle that is very effective out to 300 yards(with optics on a nice day), which is WAY past whats justifiable in court so i'm happy. Its not uncommon for me to hit a cinderblock at 100yards 10/10 times with irons.

I can get 500 rnds of golden bear for $170, which is high...but doable.

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
If money and cost is a problem then go with the SKS even as CPL BS 88 said, if you have to replace some parts you will still save money compared to going out and buying a new or used Ruger Ranch Rifle (Mini-14) and off the rack Mini-14 here will run you $699 to $799 new and Used at about $100 to $150 less.
I don't own a SKS, but I have shot one and think they are great. I do have the Mini-14 and love it. I still can find cheap ammo for it at gun shows and some times at my local gun store. But the Wolf .223 I was paying ($4.25/box of 20) is now $5.99 to $6.99, I have found Wolf at J&G for $5.00 a box.
The Mini-14 get a bad-rap from alot of people but I find it to be a great little gun I do have plans to update to the better barrel the Ruger has.
The 1st thing you need to do is get a weapon that fits you and you like to shoot and do it soon, and as others say stock up on ammo and lots of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My best friends dad is a gun dealer and gun smith. He has about a half dozen at all times. I will get one from him the ones he gets he cleans and goes through to make sure they fire like new. I use my friends when I see them and can hit a 12in round at 100yards about 9 out of 10 times. I am planing on getting a rem 870 or moss 500 as well any other inexpensive guns yall recommend for Self defense?

·
Plinker
746 Posts
one think with old military firearms...perticularly the SKS is that there prone to failures. the gas system is the weak spot. Tapco is the only company that makes new replacments and its $50 for just the tube and hand guard. if you buy a used SKS ask to test fire it first. check the barrel through and through, crown and all. make sure it cycles fine. believe me SKS can be a BIG PITA! sksboards.com has alot of great info.

i bought my SKS for $150, $170 after tax and such. so far i've replaced, or will be soon, nearly the whole gas system for a total cost of about $100 for the parts and who knows how much in shipping. all in all i think it was worth it, An AR15 would be nice but i couldent hardly afford to shoot it and at less that 1/4 the price i have a rifle that is very effective out to 300 yards(with optics on a nice day), which is WAY past whats justifiable in court so i'm happy. Its not uncommon for me to hit a cinderblock at 100yards 10/10 times with irons.

I can get 500 rnds of golden bear for $170, which is high...but doable.
From what I've heard about the SKS, if one desires an AK47 type firearm, "get the real thing", although it's more costly.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
an SKS isnt a AK at all. the sks has greater range and accuarcy. the AK is made for one thing, high volume fire..."spray and pray." the sks is a much better option imho.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't been to my local gun shop lately but are SKS' really that rare ?
Not rare at all. They have been imported for years. They are just getting harder and more expensive to find. They are still the cheapest ( $ wise, not quality ) of the bunch, with the exception of the Mosin's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The SKS is a good choice. Although prices have went up, they still are cheap compared to other types. And the ammo is cheap compared to others. The SKS has to a degree, surplanted the vaunted 30-30 in the south due to the above reasons and the two rounds are comparatively similar. But I think the 7.62x39mm edges the 30-30 in the cost department. It is man accurate out to 200yds in the proverbial SHTF scenario and is a decent brush caliber for deer.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
actually the SKS that does NOT have a detachable mag is NOT on the ban list the only sks that is on the ban list is detachable mag. so you can still get the one that doesnt have the detatchable mag it is safe and i bet years from now they will cost a fortune to get if our gov is still standing

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
the last proposed ban the SKS that does NOT have a detachable mag is NOT on the ban list the only sks that is on the ban list is detacchable mag. so you can still get the one that doesnt have the detatch able mag and i bet years from now they will cost a fortune to get if our gov is still standing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts