Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I adore my SKS Yugo.. They are one of the most under rated rifles ever. But I would probably go with a Saiga because of the detachable magazine feature as opposed to the 10 rd fixed mag that is easy to reload, but not compared to a removable 30 rd magazine the Saiga will allow.. I also think the Saiga is considerably shorter than the SKS..

Both are equally reliable, both are equally accurate, and both are within the same price range..

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For self defence....nether. To much power, you will kill your neibors and the dog. Cant beat a 12ga pump gun for self defence. But out of those two, the Saiga would be my choice.
Coastie Kyle, any particular reason why you prefer Saiga over SKS?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I have a Saiga in 5.56,I actually rely on its ability to punch through walls,but I have no close neighbors,so it does double duty for me. :thumb:
installing new drywall are you? :D:

·
FNG
106 Posts
Coastie Kyle, any particular reason why you prefer Saiga over SKS?
Ya man, its shorter, detached mag, much easyer to upgrade/customize, you can get a folder kit and make it really compact, mags are everywhere and you have the option of 5 rnd, 10rnd, 20rnd, 30rnd, 40rnd mags, and drums. Its MUCH MORE scarry looking, more fun to shoot, its a great AK, and its a real Russian AK at that. You will have a lot more fun at the range with a Saiga vs. a SKS in my opinion. You can do almost anything you could imagine to a AK.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
If you think about this its redundant.

Try this one: Saiga vs SKS-D.

Both wannabe AKs but now the SKS takes AK mags, and you have to dremel the saiga to do the same. Its oranges to tangelos.

If you can't have an AK, get the SKS, because laws will eventually ban the saigas from import. The SKS as a Relic will always be safe.

·
FNG
106 Posts
What the hell is a "wannabe" AK? The AK is a type of rifle, How does a rifle that is in the catagory of AK, wannabe....itself? They can ban them from import all they want, if you already have it, your good to go.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
I've owned both ( Norinco and Zastava SKS ) and now have a Saiga .308. It's flawlessly functional, accurate, and Russian .308 ammo is cheap. But, for some reason, I've never been crazy about the rifle. I'm uncertain, but somehow the ergonomics seem wrong; I guess because it's a military platform that was converted to a sporter as an afterthought.

If I had a choice, it would depend on the mission. I picked up my Saiga because it was a semi-auto .308 and I got it incredibly cheap last year and honestly, I'd always choose
.308 simply because of power, range, and ammo availability.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
The Saiga offers so many possibilities. I saw one tricked out yesterday. It was gorgeous. Folding stock,pistol grip,light mounted underneath. awesome for being so realitively affordable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sks all the way

sks is a better rifle , reason being the saiga and all ak types have stamped receivers and flex when fired and effect the round , which means you have 250 to 300 meters before it falls out of the sky. the sks has a milled reciever and a longer barrel (mostly) the milled reciever does not flex and the range is 300 to 400 meters. tapco makes stocks and accessories to be tactical or hunting purposes and collapes down for easy indoor use. do'nt get me wrong i love my ak , but the sks is more acurate.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
for personnel def i would get a pistol. no matter whats going on with a pistol you can have it whenever you need it with in an arms reach if your conceal carrying it.

for home def a 12 ga shotgun

for hunting /war double duty saiga (7.62 or 308)

for backpack survival .22 with a .45

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
tapco makes stocks and accessories to be tactical or hunting purposes and collapes down for easy indoor use. do'nt get me wrong i love my ak , but the sks is more acurate.

I have one of each--so I can comment on this one.

Yes the SKS is a tad more accurate, and has a milled reciever, and is completely overbuilt for the power of the cartridge it is intended to fire.

But the SKS lacks ammo capacity--and the Saiga (once converted to accept AK mags) does not. If you want a rifle for defense--a Saiga converted over to full AK sytle is the way to go. If you have to duke it out with a person/s you want hi-cap mag capacity, and quick reload capability.

An SKS will do the job in a pinch, but you don't want to get into any protracted SHTF with this rifle unles you have a lot of practive top-loading.

And yes Tapco makes some nice hi-cap mags for this... but the rest of their stuff is in my opinion, just junk (stocks, etc.).

A Saiga is a tad more accurate than a regular 16 inch barrel AK--with the 20 inch barrel you can consistanty hit a pie plate at 200 yards if you know how to handle a rifle.

An SKS will do the same, but you do not want to go hunting with this thing--it was not made for hunting animals.

The Saiga wil fire absolutely all the time, no mater how much you seem to abuse the rifle. T
he SKS takes a bit more maintanance.

If you can get a Saiga--get one. These are great rifles.
If all you can afford is an SKS... then do so--this is the entry level battle rifle.

T

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is not so.

The Saiga AK which that I just purchased will accommodate AK magazines, out-of-the-box.
No it won't. Not a real imported AK mag. You can buy US made magazines made specially for the Saiga (Surefire, AGP, etc), but a true AK mag will not work on a stock Saiga. In order for it to work, a bullet guide has to be installed and the mag needs a little filing work to make it fit correctly. If you are using real AK mags on a stock Saiga, you better get in compliance with 922 or you are looking for a heap of trouble.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
If you are using real AK mags on a stock Saiga, you better get in compliance with 922 or you are looking for a heap of trouble.

I don't think anyone has ever been hastled for 922r--but if you have to fixate upon this law, this is easily overcome on the Saiga. By swapping out a few simple parts.

Installing a Dinzag bullet ramp is easy, filling down the mag-catch is a no-brainer. Swapping out the furniture is a no-brainer. It sooooo simple.

And the Saiga is a much, much better weapon.

And yes, some Saiga's do come out of the box accomodated to take AK magazines.
They even sell them in California that do this.

FYI, by this time next year, I don't 922r will matter much.

T

1 - 20 of 26 Posts