Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the hypothetical sceneario. A person owns an SKS. The kind that accepts AK mags. Is thinking of buying an AK. Is the AK that much better of a rifle to warrant twice or more the cost? Or do you think it would be better to buy another two SKS's? Or one SKS and more ammo?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Buy 2 more SKS rifles. Everyone forgets that mags are an additional cost to buying most rifles. Buy the SKS rifles with the AK money and the ammo with the mag money. Sometimes more is better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
+1 to getting two more SKS rifles. Get loads of stripper clips and practice loading the clips as well as loading the rifle from the clips. Mags are cool and have their place, but you'll be surprised at how much ammo you can keep on you with strippers vs. mags.

·
Oath Keeper
173 Posts
If you want and ak because you want one just buy one. I personally would not be buying an ak right now if I had an sks that took ak mags. The ak prices have shot through the roof. Buy ak mags, another sks, tapco stocks, and lots of ammo :).

flag2442

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
if your SKS takes AK mags, you have the best of both worlds.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I don't believe AK magazines can be made to fit an SKS, you can buy extended SKS magazines for the SKS, but they have proven somewhat spotty in reliability....I would prefer the reliability of the AK over an SKS wannabe.....
Gentlemen, the last thing you want in a firefight is an unreliable weapon....believe me....

·
Banned
630 Posts
Oscar615,

In order for the SKS to take AK mags you would have to make some extensive changes to the bolt, at any rate I have never seen model d or m SKS.....They have to have to be rare, because "Klinton " cut off weapons imports from China very quickly....

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you own an SKS D/M then I would not bother with the AK unless you aboslutely have to have a pistol grip.

The models D&M or going for over $450 on gunbroker when I looked the other day. Since AK's are still being built off of parts kits(and SKS D/M's are not) I would imagine at some point the D&M models will be very rare and worth a ton of money.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
I don't believe AK magazines can be made to fit an SKS, you can buy extended SKS magazines for the SKS, but they have proven somewhat spotty in reliability....I would prefer the reliability of the AK over an SKS wannabe.....
Gentlemen, the last thing you want in a firefight is an unreliable weapon....believe me....
Tapco 20 round magazines are extremely reliable. I have shot about 1,000 rounds through my Tapco Mag and never had a Jam or Misfeed. Now the Metal mags i have heard horrible things about, but so far the Tapco Mags are the only reliable SKS magazines available.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
I have a Yugo SKS and i love it. It has been more reliable than any of my Military issue M-16A2's i had while in the army. Never owned an AK but my Brother had one. Nothing wrong with them either, but it would seem you get more for your money out of an SKS. And I am all about CHEAP!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have experience with an SKS M. Its a great gun and is more accurate then an AK. However it doesn't accept magazines as smoothly as an AK. For some reason it seemed to like 40 round Chicom AK mags the best but there could be some fumbling with 30 rounders. I would feel more secure with a regular stripper clip taking SKS over the M or D. You can carry more ammo and with some practice you can reload quickly.

As for whether to get an AK or SKS, AK with a folding stock would be extremely handy if you had to fight indoors or in really tight woods.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you have one of the old Norinco models that accepts Real AK mags you can afford an AK. The SKS is a fine weapon. Get stripper clips (ten rounds per clip) put them in a bandoleer and enjoy your gun. Great weapon. If you can afford a second gun right now the SKS may be the better buy. I saw some today for $199 plus tax. AKs are not available right now in most places.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
If you have an sks-D or M stay right where you are, and get some extra mags and ammo. It will last as long as an AK and there isn't any need to trade the accuracy for a pistol grip or looks. A D or M model would be my choice if I was just getting started and AKs were hard to come by. You can also snap in a 5 or 10 rounder and not look too overly military which could come in handy. Get a spare parts kit for it. around $80 I think.

Mags and ammo for that extra money.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So the SKS is as or almost as reliable as an AK?
Yes... I will actually go as far as saying the SKS is possibly MORE reliable because you take the mag failure possibility out of the equation all together.

I SWEAR I could take a dump in my SKS and it will STILL shoot perfectly.. I have never loaded it and had the impression that there's even the SLIGHTEST chance that it might not fire..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been looking online for a SKS spare parts kit like what Brew mentioned. I cannot find anything like that. If anone knows of where to find one or comes across something like that Could you post the address here? It would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts