Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Not sure if you remember my thread a while back about my sks having problems, but it is problematic no more.

For any sks guys that havent tried tapco mags they are worth a shot. I went from no luck with 2 different steel mags, to 100% working just like an ak with tapcos.

I shot 120 rounds today with 2 jams. I think that is pretty good considering the rifle is not broken in yet.

I am so happy to have a functioning rifle now though.

For what its worth I also have an aftermarket (non tapco) stock on the rifle. They fit like a glove and feel very solid.

I will be getting more for sure. This helped me decide what to do about my tax money, im just buying a bunch of 7.62 and a bunch of mags. Woohoo.

Sorry for the kind of pointless post, I just wanted to share my joy with everyone.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Yep my Tapco Mags have never had any trouble. If you listen to some of the guys on here you will hear how awful detatchable mags are blah blah blah. They speak of it making your sks unreliable But i would be willing to bet they never tried the Tapco Mags personally. Just a side note, I use the Tapco Mags with the factory wooden stock. I did have to dremel the opening in the wood a little wider but nothing major.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you use the detachable mags, can you still charge the SKS with stripper clips?
You have to relieve some material from very back corners of the feed lips with a file or Dremel tool in order to create space for the stripper clips to seat properly, but you can modify the Tapco 20-round magazines to work with stripper clips (essentially, like a 20-round top-loading fixed mag which can also detach).

Tapco 20-rounders are the only aftermarket SKS magazines that are worth using. They may not be as bombproof as the original hinged magazine, but mine have been 100% reliable in a half dozen different Simonovs...

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Very nice lilc, I wish I would have had the fortitude to purchase several more of these like you did back when they were so cheap they were almost giving them away! I guess even at todays prices they are still a bargin, but not like it was back in 95!!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Very nice lilc, I wish I would have had the fortitude to purchase several more of these like you did back when they were so cheap they were almost giving them away! I guess even at todays prices they are still a bargin, but not like it was back in 95!!!
Thanks, LFI. It's true, although "bargain" is indeed a relative in our current firearms market. My SKS carbines were acquired in conditions from very good to unfired/unissued for between $100 and $200 each within the last few years. Right now, for someone who is prepping and decides he/she needs more rifles, I think SKS carbines are the best way to go. For a given budget, you can arm and supply more shooters with a reliable, low-maintenance, battle-proven weapon chambered in a relatively affordable military caliber without the true need for any upgrades or accessories beyond a handful of stripper clips (i.e., without investing in lost of mags).

The other big advantage of the SKS over an affordable AK or bargain-basement AR is consistency of reliability. If you buy a cheap Century AK built in the US from an imported de-mil'd kit -- especially if you can't inspect and select it yourself before you buy -- it's a crapshoot; you may get a perfectly fine example that was assembled by a competent employee on a good day that functions with the robusticity AKs are known for, or you may get a 7.62x39mm piece of garbage slapped together by a drunk monkey. Similarly, cheap AR-15s are made cutting all the corners and are notorious, for breaking, shaking themselves apart, blowing up, or just mysteriously ceasing to function -- not qualities you want to see in your SHTF gun. Conversely, an SKS unaltered in its original trim has never been de-mil'd or reassembled and has almost nothing to check; pull out the bolt carier, see that all the cosmo has been cleaned out, and check to make sure the firing pin moves freely without sticking, and you are good to go.

Unfortunately, if anyone wants a good SKS, they should probably buy now before they lose all of their significant price advantage. At my local sporting goods store, an unissued Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS is going for the overinflated price of $379. Two years ago I could get a NIB Romanian WASR AK or a NIB Saiga 12 shotgun for that price! While you can still find plenty of excellent Simonov carbines in the $200-$300 bracket, it is getting harder and harder to do so... :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep my Tapco Mags have never had any trouble. If you listen to some of the guys on here you will hear how awful detatchable mags are blah blah blah. They speak of it making your sks unreliable But i would be willing to bet they never tried the Tapco Mags personally.
That would be me. I have (had) 2 SKS's. A Norinco bubba SKS and a Yugo. I could never get either to work with any aftermarket high cap mags. The Tapco did work better than the duckbills, but I still would never call it reliable. I did keep the Tapco mags and the Yugo. I traded the Norinco and duckbills in for a Saiga 7.62x39 and never regretted it.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
You have to relieve some material from very back corners of the feed lips with a file or Dremel tool in order to create space for the stripper clips to seat properly, but you can modify the Tapco 20-round magazines to work with stripper clips (essentially, like a 20-round top-loading fixed mag which can also detach).

Tapco 20-rounders are the only aftermarket SKS magazines that are worth using. They may not be as bombproof as the original hinged magazine, but mine have been 100% reliable in a half dozen different Simonovs...

I just love that picture, its so, B.A.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Thx, VJ. I still have three of them, even though I have since tried to standardize with the AK platform in my core arsenal instead. The SKS carbines are just to handy not to have around...

Dang, AK's too!? Looking good my man!

You looking to sell any of those SKS's?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Thx, VJ. I still have three of them, even though I have since tried to standardize with the AK platform in my core arsenal instead. The SKS carbines are just to handy not to have around...

The UF are awesome. I would get a little irritated with the SF after a while but they are good items as well. Good conversion path.

I think I would change out the pistol grips on the 4 new ones to black saw grips or more ergo styles.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You looking to sell any of those SKS's?
Just did, but I still have three; the others went to fund the new Arsenal SLR-107CR and accessories...

...I think I would change out the pistol grips on the 4 new ones to black saw grips or more ergo styles.
The funny thing is, after installing one on my GF's WASR a month or two ago, I've found myself gravitating back toward the old-school classic "pencil grip" (or at least the current K-VAR US-made equivalent). I like the meatiness of the Tapco SAW style, though, not to mention the voluminous storage. One of my Saiga 12 shotguns has the Israeli FAB ergo grip, which also has a storage compartment big enough for a .30-caliber Boresnake; it's not a compliance part, but it is a nice compromise between feel and versatility, while allowing for a comfortable grip among shooters with both small and large hands...

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts

LILC,

I like those stocks, what brand and where did they come from?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Hows the K-var furniture hold up on the front end when this go hot?

Am thinking about casting romy lower front grips soon. US made part, but not certain as to the exact type of high temp plastic compound. They would need the rare vent steel upper to look just right. Paired they would shed the heat just fine.

·
Registered
826 Posts

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
+1 To the KVAR furniture!

It came on my Bulgarian milled receiver and I've since applied it to the other two WASRS. I just wish it would fit the Yugo's...

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
lilc

You wanna sell any of those other SKS's, if so, how much? I need to do something with my tax return and stimulus check haha!

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Thx, VJ. I still have three of them, even though I have since tried to standardize with the AK platform in my core arsenal instead. The SKS carbines are just too handy not to have around...

At least we know where all the ak's went now :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts