Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Is that all?
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, I need some SKS advice. I don't own one, yet:) But I'm trying to see how my tax return comes out this year, and whether or not I got back for another fire season, and then I want to buy one. The first thing I want to do is put a TechSights rear aperture sight on it, anyone have experience with these? Secondly, I want to put a scope, I was thinking 2x7 where the original rear sight went. Any input on scopes, mounts, or the TechSights? Please no "SKSs suck" or "buy an AR15" posts, if I had the money, I would, but I already kind of have my heart set on an SKS for what my budget will allow me. Thanks!

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Well if you want to mount stuff, you could always look at a Saiga, simply because it's far easier to mount optics, what with the SKS gas tube and all. Just a suggestion. Nothing wrong with the SKS if that's exactly what you want though.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Forget the Tech Sights... they are garbage.
Poorly designed. You must remove them every time you clean the weapon--thus you loose your zero.

Forget them.
They're stupid!

Also...

Forget nearly all scope mounts on an SKS.
You don't need a scope with this rifle.
It is a close range CQB rifle.

If you need new sights look at this site...

http://www.apwcogan.com/the-long-guns/sks-ak-47-akm-modifications.html

Scroll down and look at this guys sights.
Note the front and rear sights.
This is what you want.

However if you want a scope mount--his type of scope mount is what you want, but not that type of scope.

You want this type of scope for that type of mount....

http://compare.ebay.com/like/310367371407?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Small and light.
This is the concept with the SKS.

Get it?!!

ST

·
Is that all?
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see your point about the Tech Sights, but I have to ask, have you ever used them? I've heard at least a few people here say they work just as advertised, they are apparently designed to hold zero even after being removed and put back on. As far as a scope goes, I know I can hit a man sized target at 300m, which I think the SKS is capable of, but I want to be able to have a decent chance of hitting a small target area, the kill zone on an animal at 200m, which I most definitely can't do with Iron sights.

Poorly designed. You must remove them every time you clean the weapon--thus you loose your zero.

Forget them.
They're stupid!

Also...

This is what you want.

However if you want a scope mount--his type of scope mount is what you want, but not that type of scope.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/310367371407?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Small and light.

Get it?!!

ST

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

Forget them.
They're stupid!

Also...

This is what you want.

Small and light.

Get it?!!

ST
WOW! That is the first time I have ever heard someone talk smack about tech sights. Never had them on an SK, but on a 10/22 I think they are awesome. But to say they are "stupid" makes you sound like a kid. I understand your point, but I think you could have laid it out on the table a little better.

Within the same reasoning if you have the scope on the rear receiver cover, then your still removing the scope each time you clean the gun. The only time your not is if this is going on an SKS with a tapco stock and it's mounted on the forward rail. Now if it were me, and I "needed" some type of optic on my gun, red dot up front or scope/eotech in the rear.

Great first link, but you lost me with that link to ebay. Here let me help ya out. http://swfa.com/Barska-1x-Electro-Sight-P5759.aspx bran new without untrusted people hat just like to take your money.

Small and light with an SKS? Really? The SKS (standard full length carbine is 8.7 lbs (approximate) unloaded no accessories, You know how much a full length AR/M-16 rifle is? 7.18lbs (approximate) unloaded no accessories, standard FN FAL can range between 8.4lbs and 13.1lbs depending on model, and an AK unloaded weights right in at around 9lbs. Not saying one is better than the other but comparatively, not a "light" gun. In matter of fact its right in the running with the rest of them. Oh yes and I think its worth mentioning that I got this information by weighing my guns.

Be careful about posting statements without some type of fact to back it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW! That is the first time I have ever heard someone talk smack about tech sights.

I have never tried them myself but I have heard great things about tech sights. Including reports of ~200yd shots on hogs.

I have put a reciever cover mount on my Norinco sks. It was a Leapers UTG 6x32 compact scope and see-thru mount package. I feel that this type of mount COULD be a good option depending on what range you are looking for. The mount I recieved fit a bit loose on my gun. I cut strips from a 2L bottle (about 1/4"x 6" ) and wedged the plastic between the reciever and reciever cover. This helped to tighten the scope mount. When I took it to the range I was shooting roughly 3 MOA @ 100yds with Wolf ammo. All-in-all good scope. I just wish they would have built the mount with excess metal and let you file it down to fit your specific rifle.

That all being said. I have opted to mount a BSA red dot on the hand guard rail of my tapco stock. For me, this works extremely well. I plan for this gun to serve as a short range weapon for defense and hunting (deer/hogs). I don't plan on shooting much farther than 100yds with my rifle. Shooting with both eyes open is sooo nice for range estimation and situational awareness

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The 10/22 tech sight is a pretty different animal so hard to compare them. I have a tech on my SKS. It is a big improvement over the stock one. But as you have to remove the bolt holding it on to take the rear cover off, zero is an issue.

There really isn't much in way of scope to put on an SKS. The rear cover ones you have to take off to clean the rifle, plus many of them are not very tight. Most are pretty cheap screws rattle out that sort of thing. And your limited in scopes. Anything more than a stubby one and you lose the stripper clip loading plus you need a brass deflector. On the gas tube there's to much banging around. You can mount something like a red dot where the rear sight is but have to remove the sight to do it.

Just use it as is. Makes a fine weapon used that way.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I see your point about the Tech Sights, but I have to ask, have you ever used them? I've heard at least a few people here say they work just as advertised, they are apparently designed to hold zero even after being removed and put back on.

No I don't own them, but I have used them on a friend's rifle.
Frankly they are poorly designed for the SKS.

The "ghost ring" type wings on each side of the peep, hides your view, and it is hard to pick up targets side-to-side. Also they bolt on in a dorky way to the read of the reciever. They should have made a scaled down version that directly replaced the old military leaf sights.

And no, they do not completely hold zero if you remove them for cleaning.

but I want to be able to have a decent chance of hitting a small target area, the kill zone on an animal at 200m, which I most definitely can't do with Iron sights.

Well you are not going to do that with an SKS--even with a scope.
The SKS is a 1 1/2 MOA weapon... which mean 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.
3 inch groups at 200 yards.
And so on.

You are not going to hit the "kill zone" of small animals at all with this thing.
Sorry.

Here's another suggestion for the SKS...

http://www.mojosights.com/

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I have a tech on my SKS. It is a big improvement over the stock one. But as you have to remove the bolt holding it on to take the rear cover off, zero is an issue.The 10/22 tech sight is a pretty different animal so hard to compare them.

I would recommend a Tech Sight on an 10/22.
But the SKS Tech sight is just a dorky add-on.... and like you said, zero is an issue.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
WOW! That is the first time I have ever heard someone talk smack about tech sights. Never had them on an SK, but on a 10/22 I think they are awesome. But to say they are "stupid" makes you sound like a kid. I understand your point, but I think you could have laid it out on the table a little better.

Within the same reasoning if you have the scope on the rear receiver cover, then your still removing the scope each time you clean the gun. The only time your not is if this is going on an SKS with a tapco stock and it's mounted on the forward rail. Now if it were me, and I "needed" some type of optic on my gun, red dot up front or scope/eotech in the rear.

Great first link, but you lost me with that link to ebay. Here let me help ya out. http://swfa.com/Barska-1x-Electro-Sight-P5759.aspx bran new without untrusted people hat just like to take your money.

Small and light with an SKS? Really? The SKS (standard full length carbine is 8.7 lbs (approximate) unloaded no accessories, You know how much a full length AR/M-16 rifle is? 7.18lbs (approximate) unloaded no accessories, standard FN FAL can range between 8.4lbs and 13.1lbs depending on model, and an AK unloaded weights right in at around 9lbs. Not saying one is better than the other but comparatively, not a "light" gun. In matter of fact its right in the running with the rest of them. Oh yes and I think its worth mentioning that I got this information by weighing my guns.

Be careful about posting statements without some type of fact to back it up.

Wow, I didn't know that I was here exclusively to make you feel good!??
And I don't care how I "lay things out."

Anyways, to make you feel good...

Furthermore, I think your reply is one of the stupidest replies in the history of this forum.
Possibly THE stupidest reply of replies.
Actually the mother of all STUPID replies.

If you actually read my reply for CONTENT--you would note that I said there are no suitable scope mounts for the SKS (except perhaps the style of the one I linked)... so why in a VERY STUPID manner do you go and pick apart my post with specious arguments about scopes on receiver covers and so on?!!

Jeezze!!

As for the Ebay link--I said "something like this" (meaning along "these lines")--I did not say purchase the cheap Barksa... FYI--Barksa only their name on lots of Chinese made OEM stuff, and some of this stuff is identical to what name brand sellers push. Again go back to school and read for CONTENT!

And I am fully aware of the weight of an SKS you dunce, this is why I said to keep the crap (scopes, Tapco stocks, etc.) off of it.

I own two highly customized SKS's FYI.
When I recommend stuff on this forum, it is from lots of experience.
I am also a skilled machinist and I make my own stuff.

If you want to go and pick on something...
Go pick your nose, or go pick the crap out of your ass like a Chimpanzee.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
The rear cover ones you have to take off to clean the rifle, plus many of them are not very tight. Most are pretty cheap screws rattle out that sort of thing. And your limited in scopes. Anything more than a stubby one and you lose the stripper clip loading plus you need a brass deflector. On the gas tube there's to much banging around. You can mount something like a red dot where the rear sight is but have to remove the sight to do it.

Just use it as is. Makes a fine weapon used that way.

Yup.
Precise and to the point.

Also if you do manage to mount a scope to an SKS, chances are it will get damaged by the recoil shock, and knocked out of zero too-boot. And as you said brass deflectors are dumb, sometimes they kick the spent round back into the chamber and cause jams. Gas tube is no good--but Tapco keeps selling that hunk of crap anyways for years and years.

Like you say--use it as it is, but I do recommend some upgrade to the "open sights" per style shown in the links above.

ST

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Sks is losing the economic edge that once made it a great choice in a utility rifle. The choate scope mount is the best you will come by for an SKS, it requires drilling and tapping into the receiver, but it isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds.

Tech sites have worked great on my sks (not the same one as with the choate mount) and even with takedown for cleaning it holds the zero just fine.

Depending on the pricing and the exact SKS you are looking into, a lot of variables come into play. An original Russian, even rearsenaled.....leave it original. Some folks consider the SKS more collectible today, but mine are shooters. Both of them are chinese with screwed on barrels, and chrome bores, so the improved sighting capability is put to good usage. Some days I would rather an AK, some days I prefer the SKS.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Sks is losing the economic edge that once made it a great choice in a utility rifle. The choate scope mount is the best you will come by for an SKS, it requires drilling and tapping into the receiver, but it isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds.

Did this to one of my SKS's back in the 90's.
Took some skill and a tungsten drill to make the holes correctly.

But the recoil whiplash will damage scopes.
It blew out two of mine, and they were not cheapies.

I abandoned the idea, and purchased a Rem 700 heavy barreled rifle for this type of stuff.
And yes you can knock down a pig with an SKS--but do not go after "hogzilla" --stick to 200 and below meat pigs.
Also they will take down a deer--just get within 200 yards or less for a good kill shot.

I have an adjustable military style peep sight on the back of one SKS and one of these on the front sight now....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/69653-1.html

The above is accomplished by making a new sight mount/slide with an AK sized hole to accept the HiViz.

The concept of my SKS is that of a "street fighter" for CQB.
This is why I use open sights.
I also use the Marcus Mag Adaptor on one of my SKS's with perfect reliability....

Along with this, I have them setup with Russian fiberglass jungle stocks.
They are painted with texture spray, then covered with camo--one in desert, and one in jungle.

And yes gone are the days of the cheap SKS.
I bought two at the Pomona Gun Show in Cali during the early 90's for $50 each.
Brand new Russian SKS's packed in dirty, goopy cosmoline--cleaned it all off and voila... brand new unissued rifles.

Purchased my Norinco for $120 around the same time.
They are not cheap anymore due to lack of importation, and money inflation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Said this at least a hundred times in my life. Don't bother with receiver cover mounts. If you want to mount an optic get a choate style mount. As one poster already mentioned a saiga sporter could be a good option. Just as cheap as an sks and has a side mount already on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts