Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
unknown
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a chinese sks a few years back and to tell you the truth haven't messed with it too much. Have stripper clips and shot a few rds and had some fun plinking targets. Now for the questions

Are there any videos out the to help hone my skills with the proper techniques of loading the stripper clips? I would love to get much quicker and smoother on my loads.

Also I received 2 20 rounds plastic mags with the gun and from what I have read these are fixed once set in? There is no possibility of having a detachable mag with my sks? I found it to be a pain in the butt if you need to put some rounds through the sks and you have a fixed 20 rd mag that once emptied needee to be taken back off, reloaded, then set back in just to fire. Not the easiest thing to take on and off either.

Forgive my ignorance just thought I could get some useful info from the forum:thumb:

·
Take the red pill!!!!
1,301 Posts
Purchased a chinese sks a few years back and to tell you the truth haven't messed with it too much. Have stripper clips and shot a few rds and had some fun plinking targets. Now for the questions

Are there any videos out the to help hone my skills with the proper techniques of loading the stripper clips? I would love to get much quicker and smoother on my loads.

Also I received 2 20 rounds plastic mags with the gun and from what I have read these are fixed once set in? There is no possibility of having a detachable mag with my sks? I found it to be a pain in the butt if you need to put some rounds through the sks and you have a fixed 20 rd mag that once emptied needee to be taken back off, reloaded, then set back in just to fire. Not the easiest thing to take on and off either.

Forgive my ignorance just thought I could get some useful info from the forum:thumb:
To better master stripper clips it goes with experience. It really is a learned skill but once you have you have it. Its like trying to teach your self how to shuffle cards, once you get it you are like WOW that was really easy and man I feel stupid.

You can get detachable magazines for the SKS but keep in mind it wasn't part of its original design. Many of the ones on the market are POS to tell the truth. I have heard good stuff about TAPCO and their duck bill mags but only with them. I have had no experience with the TAPCO's myself. The box magazine that comes on it is fixed. The aftermarket mags aren't but like I said it wasn't part of the design so you have this odd rocking flip a lever motion to change magazines.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,154 Posts
Also not all stripper clips are created equal. Some need to be broken in with use to get them to smooth out so the ammo slides off them and into the magazine.

·
unknown
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Peacnzion

My after market mags seem to be fixed once set in and after taking the original box mag out. I don't believe I can detach it unless I go through the whole process of taking out the trigger mechanism.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
You remove the trigger assembly (Pin behind the trigger, push down and pull out trigger group) , remove the box magazine (just lifts out). Replace the trigger assembly and you may use the detachable magazines quickly, they do not become fixed int he gun. The finger release will drop each magazine.

This is a horrible video but it can show you the basics.

Edit: And here is one with the stripper clips.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
He might have the fixed 20 rd chicom mags, their not so great, the 10 round is usually a lot easier/faster to reload with. there are removable mags out there. try cheaper than dirt or Tapco.

·
Take the red pill!!!!
1,301 Posts
Thanks Peacnzion

My after market mags seem to be fixed once set in and after taking the original box mag out. I don't believe I can detach it unless I go through the whole process of taking out the trigger mechanism.
Your more than welcome, SKS is one of favorites. Expensive, complicated, and fancy doesn't always mean best. Make sure you toss a picture or two up. :)

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I think that you got the answer to your questions and I have nothing to add so, I thought that I would show you a pic my SKS.
I love my "D" model SKS. It takes regular AK mags on any flavor. Keep your eyes peeled for one of these. There is the "D" model which is the size of a standard SKS and an "M" model which is shorter with a 16.5" bbl.

Be well my friends.
Al

·
Take the red pill!!!!
1,301 Posts
I think that you got the answer to your questions and I have nothing to add so, I thought that I would show you a pic my SKS.
I love my "D" model SKS. It takes regular AK mags on any flavor. Keep your eyes peeled for one of these. There is the "D" model which is the size of a standard SKS and an "M" model which is shorter with a 16.5" bbl.

Be well my friends.
Al
Man I love those!! Great condition too. I bought a Yugo m70ab2 last year for 450.00 so I have trouble justifying sks that takes ak mags...but damn I love that thing. I was going to buy that same sks if I didnt get such a deal.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Man I love those!! I bought a Yugo m70ab2 last year for 450.00 so I have trouble justifying sks that takes ak mags...but damn I love that thing. I would have bought the sks if I didnt get such a deal.
I bought this thing so long ago (86' maybe) I remember paying $175.00 for it Brand new with 3 mags, a chest pouch and cleaning equipment etc.

Al

Reactions: walcott

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not all the after market detachables are junk. I have a steel one that I bought back in '94 and I have had absolutely no issues with it.

As others have said, you can get the duckbill mags in 20 or 30 round, but there are drawbacks.

1. Theyre bulky. Theres no such thing as stuffing them into a cargo pocket on your pants and getting them back out quickly. That duckbill will snag on everything.

2. Theyre no more expensive than a AR mag or an AK mag, but they ARE harder to find.

3. Ive seen the Tapcos, I dont like them. I saw one that was used and, as would be expected from a plastic mag, it was pretty chewed up around the duckbill. How long before it will not be able to reliably stay in the mag well?

4. There was never a military use of them so theres no such thing as finding mag pouches, though Im sure you could find some kind of other pouch to hold 2 or 3. But just like a pocket, that duckbill is going to give you fits getting them in and out in a hurry.

Overall youve got a good rifle. I love mine and wont give it up. Never used stripper clips for it but like all things, it just takes a little practice to master them.

·
unknown
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I apologize fellas....the extra mags I have are 30rd zytel mags and they seem to be fixed once inserted unless of course you take the gun back apart. ill try to post pics in the future.
thanks again

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts

After inserting the stripper clip, place your strong-side thumb on top of the top round in the clip so that you thumb is right up against the clip. That is to say, as far back as possible to the primer end of the round. Now push down. It takes getting used to, but after you learn it there are rarely any problems.

·
Knife Maker
726 Posts
I apologize fellas....the extra mags I have are 30rd zytel mags and they seem to be fixed once inserted unless of course you take the gun back apart. ill try to post pics in the future.
thanks again
You should be able to remove them with dis-assembly...you will need the bolt to be open though. The bottom of the bolt rides through the feed lips of the magazine so with the bolt closed you will not be able to remove the mags.

·
91W & 11B
181 Posts
I have some stripper clips for my Mosin that were a bit "difficult" at first - I took a Q-Tip and some gun oil and LIGHTLY swabbed the channels in the strippers with it, wiping out any excess with the other end of the Q-Tip. I didn't want to get oil on the primers, potentially causing problems there. I then loaded the weapon with them a few times to work them in - seems to have solved the problem.
As usual, YMMV.

·
Knife Maker
726 Posts
You should be able to remove them with dis-assembly...you will need the bolt to be open though. The bottom of the bolt rides through the feed lips of the magazine so with the bolt closed you will not be able to remove the mags.
That should have read "withOUT dis-assembly"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts