Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I am not ruling out operator error on this, but I cant see anything I am doing wrong.

I took my new sks out for the first time today and didnt have any luck. First let me give you the details of the weapon.

It has a folding synthetic stock, scope and an after market bolt cover with the scope mount. It came ready to accept magazines as the guy had done some customization. I use metal 30 round magazines (after reading things on here I wish I would have went with the box magazine but live and learn I guess). From what I could tell when I bought it the firing pin was in good shape and looked new. It is dry firing fine (I did that twice today). I ran a cleaning rag through it before I went out and it was fairly clean so it hadnt been fired much. It is a russian sks.

Now...

When I took out today I first loaded just 3 rounds in one of the magazines to test it out before going with 30.

I had the bolt open, inserted the magazine, pulled the bolt to make it go forward, and the bullet hit below the bore, instead of being lifted into the chamber. With a little help I was able to make it lift up a round into the chamber. I fired the rifle one time, and when the bolt went back it ended up picking up a round and made it vertical between the bolt and the chamber... a jam. After this there was nothing I could do to make the rifle fire. I could not get rounds to go into the chamber from the magazine.

Am I doing something wrong? Could this have something to do with the aftermarket bolt cover (we just put one on my dads sks and it required some work so that the bolt would work smoothly)

What I plan to do tomorrow is to try my magazines in my dads rifle to see if it will chamber rounds from the magazines, then I will know if the problem is in my rifle or my mags.

If it turns out the problem is in the rifle than the magazines, what can I do to fix it?

What seemed to be happening was the round was not lifting up to be slid into the chamber, it was trying to go straight forward as opposed to slightly up and forward.

I know this will be hard to diagnose over the internet but any trouble shooting ideas or corrections in how I am attempting to insert the mag and chamber rounds would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping out an sks newbie.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Sounds like the front catch on the magazine is sticking on the stock and not hooking the metal like its supposed to.

They probably did not relieve the stock properly.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you elaborate on what it means to not relieve the stock properly? How would I go about fixing this or could I fix it? I have the guys card and if it is going to be something which will take a lot of $ to fix I would prefer to get my money back from the guy and get something else. Thank you so much for your help!

edited to add: Anytime it feeds from the mag it is doing it from I think the right side and not the left (or vise versa I cant remember) At any rate it is only feeding from one side of the mag anytime it does decide to feed.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Magazine, the magazine does not fit in the factory location on the firearm. The stock must be relief cut in the front to accept the magazines. Try to do one of two things, put the factory magazine back on, then try it or Get rid of the gun. Sounds like that thing is pretty bubbarized anyways, might be better to start with a stock functioning weapon, rather than a modified paperweight. I would get rid of it and start over, its an SKS, while they are cheap (cheaper anyway) get one that works.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I am going to try to call the guy tomorrow and let him know the situation.

If he is a good dealer he will take it back (or fix it it somehow or another), if he is a bad dealer what can I do? I paid almost $500 for the rifle so he needs to do something to make things right.

Honestly he should do something because I could have been injured when the gun jammed due to his negligence, and I plan to tell him that if he decides to be hard to get along with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You didn't get the factory magazine with the rifle? Those after market duckbill magazines are very much hit or miss on the SKS. I could not get any of the after market magazines to work with my Chinese SKS and sold the rifle. I kept my stock Yugo SKS because it is just a nice gun the way it is. It is best to keep the SKS stock as they were made IMHO.

If you can't get your money back, your next best option is to read up on 922 compliance and do what you can to allow you to use stock factory fixed magazines again.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no he didnt have any of the original parts with the rifle :(

That is another reason I really want my money back because I don't want to do anything illegal with regard to switching the rifle back to one that uses a 10 round box magazine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
no he didnt have any of the original parts with the rifle :(

That is another reason I really want my money back because I don't want to do anything illegal with regard to switching the rifle back to one that uses a 10 round box magazine.
Well, if you can't get your money back or exchange the SKS (get an AK clone), try getting some Tapco 20 round magazines. They are the best quality and some folk swear by them. The SKS was not designed to use more than 10 rounds and a fixed magazine.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Its time to man up, and learn the tips and tricks. Its no big deal to relieve the stock. A large round wood rasp and then a finer file, about the right size and file away on the stock till it fits.

What you have is a steel fixed magazine. you must take the action loose from the stock and when its apart about 2" rock the front part of the mag into the action and fold all three peices together. Set the rear mag catch and then tighten the screw.

Make sure its empty and don't be afraid to break it because you wont. Everything will be fine.

Read up here. That is a damn fine setup if you know how to work with it.

If you want to be able to remove the magazine you need to relieve the stock. If you don't want to remove it follow the above and use strippers.

Look on here for a 10rnd mag as a spare.

http://www.sks-rifles.com/

No worries, those steel mags get put on wrong all the time. Its no big deal.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
If you have a bayonet lug and a grenade launcher you better get a pin put in that folding stock. Google and learn about that.

For the MAGs See how its hidden in the text:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG630-1.html

MAG-630 is a quick change out magazine. So is the original 10rd. You just have to take the stock apart and it changes quick. This means its not pinned or welded in. Not that its a detachable magazine like an AK. You put it on and leave it on. They come in 10,20,30 and 40 rds. Never seen one larger than 30 work right. Only the rare chinese steel ones were very good and they cut imports before the last ban so you won't find any of those.

If you file the front or use a dremel on it so it is detachable it will no longer function properly.

This one is the only good mag on the market that is MADE to be detachable. It is the professional choice.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG634-36.html

Read what it says. The opening must be enlarged on a wood stock.

Its operator error and very few have the experience to walk you through it. No worries though. Google a little and study up and you will be a pro before next friday.

Follow up and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brew, since I have a plastic stock should I still try to enlarge the opening(reading the thing about the tapco mags has me wondering)

I have been reading around on the internet and looking at some pics of people with similar setups to me and it looks like everything from the trigger group to the magazine on my rifle is not far enough up in the stock (by roughly 1/16-1/8 of an inch) which is by either coincidence or not the same distance the rounds are missing the chamber by.

Thanks again for trying to help me, I am sure if I search the internet enough I should be able to figure this out. I still plan to call the guy that sold it to me to see if he has any ideas/ would be willing to give me my money back if I want it to avoid the hassle.

I really dont want to get rid of the rifle because the one round I was able to fire out of it today felt great. I just need something I know will shoot.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I've seen quite a few 'SKS' people warn against adding any kind of high capacity magazines to an SKS. The problems that you describe are the same that they describe.
The SKS works great with the integral 10 round magazine and you can reload it incredibly fast from the stripper clips. You might consider returning it to the original configuration as a starting point.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
They work fine with the tapco ones but people buy the steel ones not knowing they are fixed and dremel them till they can be taken off and once that is done they never align again. The next thing they do is get pliers and bend the front tab up and down to align them and then trade them off for peanuts because they didn't know the steel mags are fixed mags.

I played SKS plenty in the movies. The dealers don't care as they look down on them anyways, so no one ever figures it out except the guy that buys the bubbad ones and fixes them and then sells them for double.

Didn't buy..er... I mean hear that from me....

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
richis7,

That stock may have to be fitted to the action. Not all of them are the same, and it requires a close up exam to see for sure. If so the same thing with the dremel till it fits right.

Sounds like it got cleaned and didn't get put back together right, to me.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I think you should box it up and send it to me. I've had one in various shapes/forms for about 20 years. Anyone else recall the days of the $99 norincos?

My last $99 Norinco was imported thru canada just after the '94 AWB. Got it as NIB at a gun show. Gee I miss those prices. I was fortunate and smart enough to put one up for my nephew who was about 9 at the time and had just gotten his first rifle from me (a Cricket .22). He LOVED going shooting with me and my late brother on some property I own near where he lives.
I drug that thing around, in it's original box til he was 18. It went thru 3 moves with me.
In that time, at various stages I threw in 500 rounds in the box, 3 30rd mags, a belt attachment that held 100rds on stripper clips (w/ammo on clips), some extra strpper clips and a 5rd detachable mag for hunting.
Back then, all this stuff was cheap and readily available. i can only guess what it would all cost me today.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I may have it fixed, I ended up taking the magazine apart and cutting part of the follower off. I read that is supposed to fix the problem I am having so hopefully it did (things sound a little better now at least).

I ended up talking to the dealer and though he said all sales were final, he did offer to give me a 10 round box magazine at the next gun show so I plan to take him up on that as a backup. Also he said the tapco magazine should work and from what i am reading they work well on russians.

So now I am off to place my order for a few 20 round tapco mags (provided I can find some). Hopefully either those or my modified magazine will work if not I have no problem using the 10 round fixed mag with strippers. I am just happy to know the problem is not in the rifle itself but in the magazines.

Thank you for everyone who helped out with suggestions and ideas!

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Get a wooden stock for it and put it back on, the plastic folding ones make the gun heavier, also get the ten round box mag put it on and learn to use stripper clips, leave the gun the way it was designed to be, it was designed that way for a reason.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I have the complete fix....

These magazines are knock-offs of the old USA magazines. The company was put out of business by a lawsuit in the early 90's. The dies and tooling was taken over by a donkey who could not put them together as well as gold old USA stuff.

I got one of these in the late 90's without realzing it was not a USA magazine (which feed perfectly). When I loaded up the weapon--the same thing happend to me, the rounds nose dived.

I put the donkey mag up against at USA mag and discovered the problems.

A: The main problem lies with the follower (do not cut it). There is a little tab that hangs vertically from the bottom of the follower. There should be a hole in it near the end (60 thousanths) and the spring should be inserted into this hole. My magazine did not have the hole drilled in it--so I put a hole in it and inserted the spring. When assembled the front of the follower should stick up slightly from the top of the magazine--and the round will feed perfectly. Note: when you disassemble the magazine, make a sketch how the parts lay for correct reassembly.

B: Vertical feeding problems... you should learn to top-feed this magazine and leave it attached. But there is a tab of metal at the front of the mag--the nose of the rounds point directly at it. This tab should be bent forward so that when the magazine is clicked-in, you should not see the top of it under the chamber. This vertical feed guide lines up the rounds as they are stuffed vertically into the magazine. When this is properly bent foward they should stuff down smooth and fast.

C: Follower sticking... The donkey's who now put these magazine together don't know the meaning of straight. The mags are somtimes crooked--but the mag will still operate properly if the follower does not hang. Dissassemble the mag if the follower sticks. Look inside and see if the top and bottom portion of the mag align. Most likely they will be slightly mis-aligned. Do a little dremeling with a flex shaft on the overhang/s and blend it in a well as you can. The follower should not stick when it is depressed.

D: Bottom of box not square... again these were not assembled well. Dissassemble the mag--check to see if the bottom of the mag is square (rectangular). If one side is slightly flaired, the rounds will bunch up towards the bottom when loading. Using your hands square it up as best you can. You may have to re-bend and the flanges and bottom plate to make them slide together--most likely not.

E: Feed lips incorrectly bent.... the radius of the feed lip bends should start at the top line of the duck-bill, not above. Using angle-bent needle nose pliers adjust the feed lips until they match the curves inside your reciever, then they should correctly.

Yeah these magazines stink--but you can make them work well. If you happen to find an old USA magazine somewhere, anywhere, grab it.... it will work perfectly.

If you want I will post pics of what it should look like when you are finished.
Also... post a close-up pic of the top of your magazine (side view).

T

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the complete fix....

These magazines are knock-offs of the old USA magazines. The company was put out of business by a lawsuit in the early 90's. The dies and tooling was taken over by a donkey who could not put them together as well as gold old USA stuff.

I got one of these in the late 90's without realzing it was not a USA magazine (which feed perfectly). When I loaded up the weapon--the same thing happend to me, the rounds nose dived.

I put the donkey mag up against at USA mag and discovered the problems.

A: The main problem lies with the follower (do not cut it). There is a little tab that hangs vertically from the bottom of the follower. There should be a hole in it near the end (60 thousanths) and the spring should be inserted into this hole. My magazine did not have the hole drilled in it--so I put a hole in it and inserted the spring. When assembled the front of the follower should stick up slightly from the top of the magazine--and the round will feed perfectly. Note: when you disassemble the magazine, make a sketch how the parts lay for correct reassembly.

B: Vertical feeding problems... you should learn to top-feed this magazine and leave it attached. But there is a tab of metal at the front of the mag--the nose of the rounds point directly at it. This tab should be bent forward so that when the magazine is clicked-in, you should not see the top of it under the chamber. This vertical feed guide lines up the rounds as they are stuffed vertically into the magazine. When this is properly bent foward they should stuff down smooth and fast.

C: Follower sticking... The donkey's who now put these magazine together don't know the meaning of straight. The mags are somtimes crooked--but the mag will still operate properly if the follower does not hang. Dissassemble the mag if the follower sticks. Look inside and see if the top and bottom portion of the mag align. Most likely they will be slightly mis-aligned. Do a little dremeling with a flex shaft on the overhang/s and blend it in a well as you can. The follower should not stick when it is depressed.

D: Bottom of box not square... again these were not assembled well. Dissassemble the mag--check to see if the bottom of the mag is square (rectangular). If one side is slightly flaired, the rounds will bunch up towards the bottom when loading. Using your hands square it up as best you can. You may have to re-bend and the flanges and bottom plate to make them slide together--most likely not.

E: Feed lips incorrectly bent.... the radius of the feed lip bends should start at the top line of the duck-bill, not above. Using angle-bent needle nose pliers adjust the feed lips until they match the curves inside your reciever, then they should correctly.

Yeah these magazines stink--but you can make them work well. If you happen to find an old USA magazine somewhere, anywhere, grab it.... it will work perfectly.

If you want I will post pics of what it should look like when you are finished.
Also... post a close-up pic of the top of your magazine (side view).

T
If you dont mind post pics of what it should look like.

I will post pics of what mine looks like in a little while I am getting ready to head to my girlfriends house. Sadly I already tried to the other fix of cutting the follower, but I have another mag I can try your method on.

Also I ordered 2 tapco 20 rounders last night and they should be here soon. Hopefully out of all of this something will work and I will know what i need to do in the future. I kind of hope the tapco mags work since they are cheaper than most of the metal magazines and supposedly work right out of the box. I wont get to try to fire the rifle again until the 17th, but hopefully by then I willl have everything "fixed" for testing. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts