Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

sks vs saiga in 7.62mm short

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Dont Tread On Me
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
easy question, but im having trouble deciding what rifle to buy. i have a sks (a yugo that i prefer to keep in factory condition) but want one to customize. however im aware of the poor quality trigger pull on a sks rifle and was wondering would a saiga in 7.62x39 be a better way to go?

(also i was just wondering if anyone could post some links to any historical articles or accounts of sks rifles used in armed conflicts, like say the balkans or the vietnam war) ((of topic i know, jus didnt feel like posting another thread to ask))

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you really want an SKS,this guy did trigger work on mine and it is excellent. http://www.kivaari.com/index.html

The SKS is machined not stamped,so maybe a bit tougher than a saiga. jmho

You should also have the bolt reworked on the sks for reliability due to the firing pins used on the SKS. The bolt will be refaced and rebuilt .It's worth the money. Get it done here..

http://www.murraysguns.com/index.htm

I bought the SKS just as a project gun and it turned out really nice. You could probably buy the new saiga for the same or less money though. ymmv.

·
Perpetual Slacker
133 Posts
My friend shoots a Saiga... I shoot an original Norinco SKS. I learned to shoot with irons a long long time ago, and I feel the SKS is more than accurate enough.. the advantage his Saiga has, that I wish I had, was an integral Scope mount (the little rail on the side, forget what its called). I have never "noticed" any kind of trigger issue (I've fired weapons that have stupid heavy trigger pulls, like 20lbs... ridiculous), my complaint that I feel has a detriment to its accuracy, is the short stock.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
If you're gonna throw extras on, the Saiga would be a better bet. If you decide to keep it stock, the Saiga would be a better bet. :D:

I like the SKS and all, but the difference in accuracy is negligible (if existent), and Saigas can accept optics much better due to the side sight rail.

Better yet, one now, one later. Then another later. Then another one after that... :D:

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
Saiga. No question. Of course the British market Saiga isn't encumbered by that weird component law America has. Unfortunately it doesn't come semi-auto here either. It's a straight pull bolt action. :( But the quality is superb.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I chose a sks rifle over the ak/saiga for a couple of reasons.I love more fire power, dont get me wrong, but the sks is as reliable or more than relable than an ak. I'm an Old fashioned kinda guy and think that wood looks better than Plastic. I have 2 sks's and one is decked out in tapco's gear. BUt the wood rifle just seems more handy. The saiga offer quick change magazines, 10 extra rounds per mag, action doesnt have to be opend when inserting a new magazine. I have 2 Norincos and I absulutly love them. Tapco gear is not cheap, they have withstood abuse. I keep wanting to get an ar 15 or an ak, but I just cant see doing it. the sks is plenty enough gun for me. and i have spare parts for earch. WIth alot of Ammo. i Also cand see spending alot of money for a AK, or an AR just to spend another $300-500 for excesories.
The sks rifle Ive owned for 3 years now and have not had one missfire/ftf/fte or anything else with 1000+ rounds. this is the only gun i have owned used or new that i have not had a single issure with.

Pro's
1. There Machined steel, not stamped sheetmetal.
2.the sight radius is longer. I have mine zeroed at 100ft.
3. DOnt have to worry about magazine jamms, or magazine related problems.
4 has a boyonet already attatched to it.
5.it shoots farther than my Winchester.
I have 20 round tapcos and there great, but 10 round strippers are more than enough for me.
Plus i like to train and not just wast Ammo.

Con's
1. 10 round magazine
2. long gas piston
3. short LOP(length of pull)
4. hard to mount a good reflex or reddot

·
Perpetual Slacker
133 Posts
I didn't find the 10rd box magazine to be a "problem" per'se, what I found to by annoying... cheap stripper clips. I've had some that were the "rough annodized" finish, and I've had ones that were enamel coated. The enamel coated ones loaded the sks like butter, the cheap as **** annodized ones would take some breaking in to load without busting your fingers.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Wow. An SKS more reliable than an AK? Any proof behind that statement?

The AK replaced the sks in the military role. Most any war time picture you see an SKS in an AK is right next to it.

I love both the SKS and AK. Have shot both. Would never say one was better than the other. AK is a tad lighter tho.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Saiga:

You can buy 30 rnd. mags for it. They are Saiga specific, and pricey, but they're out there.

You can put a pistol grip/ stock combo on it without any modification.

I believe all of the above are currently restricted under 922(r), but maybe not.
Even if so, you can buy and hold the above items until Ron Paul eliminates the BATF (yes, I think positive) :thumb:

·
Banned
227 Posts
Wow. An SKS more reliable than an AK? Any proof behind that statement?

The AK replaced the sks in the military role. Most any war time picture you see an SKS in an AK is right next to it.

I love both the SKS and AK. Have shot both. Would never say one was better than the other. AK is a tad lighter tho.
Perfect assessment. I've never been a fan of the 5.56, so I had several AKs and SKSs, from just about everywhere, and in my opinion, the only advantage one has over the other is capacity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts