Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Postman
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of cutting down the barrel on my SKS Norinco rifle. I would like to make it a Para Trooper. Is this do-able in a reasonable way? Pros and cons welcome.

·
one prep closer...
408 Posts
I don't know if that is easily done or not.

however, if there is an easy way to do it you will probably find it here:
http://www.mouseguns.com/milsurp.htm

that is an excellent resource for old military rifles. I've learned a lot about the SKS and Mosin's from links on that site.

good luck and show us some pics when it's done.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
If yours has a chrome lined bore, it's not easily done. Recrowning is especially hard, requiring a special crowning cutter that can handle the hard chrome. Chrome is hell on tools as it's generally harder than the steel that they're made out of. They do make cutters for chrome, but I doubt your gunsmith has them since shortening chrome lined barrels isn't very popular.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have both. I enjoy the 20" barreled ones better. Less noise and generally more accurate. Iron sights could use all the sight radius it can get.

Removing and properly installing the front sight base is not easy.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
I have both. I enjoy the 20" barreled ones better. Less noise and generally more accurate. Iron sights could use all the sight radius it can get.

Removing and properly installing the front sight base is not easy.
I have both also, and will never for the life of me understand the attraction of shortening barrels. My paratrooper doesn't handle one bit better than my 20 inchers, it's not noticeably lighter either. It does however, give up a lot of velocity compared to the 20 inchers. Velocity isn't the 7.62x39's strong point to start with so I would want to keep as much of it as possible.

·
The Postman
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I guess it's a personal issue. I just prefer a shorter barrel. But if I am losing more than I'm gaining in accuracy then I might just leave it alone. I have a paratrooper anyway, just thought I could make one. Thanks for all you guys input. It will help me in my decision. If I do it though I will let you know how it turned out.:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts