Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
Ford Prefect,

They were a very prevalent arm with "Charlie"(VietCong) in 1969 and 70, Most of the SKS's were CHICOM, but you would occasionally find a European version.....Most NVA were armed with the AK-47.....

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Interesting Ford. Did you notice that the SKS is along side with an AK 47 in both of those pictures? Kinda like they were "supporting" each other with the AK in the light machine gun role.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Notice the arms....two AK-47's, two M-44s, one G-1, and one SKS(yugo, I think) and a mixture of calibers...7.62X 39, 7.62X 54, 7.62X 51.......

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Ford Prefect,

They were a very prevalent arm with "Charlie"(VietCong) in 1969 and 70, Most of the SKS's were CHICOM, but you would occasionally find a European version.....Most NVA were armed with the AK-47.....
Yep Mr Charles was still using them only remember seeing CHICOM.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Here's a pic of Charles, who appears to be barely able to hold it up, nevermind shoot it..

Guess you never met him. By the way this appears to be one of the exhibits they built.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting Ford. Did you notice that the SKS is along side with an AK 47 in both of those pictures? Kinda like they were "supporting" each other with the AK in the light machine gun role.
Kind of like one person driving an Iroc and another driving a Trans Am...

I'll bet that any of these guys carrying the SKS was able to reload them very quickly, and possibly had FEWER issues than their detachable magazine cousins..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess you never met him. By the way this appears to be one of the exhibits they built.
No, never met him.. Only 41 years old.. I understand they were much more dangerous than they appeared.. Just commenting on his appearance.. not that I wouldn't consider him a threat..

This photo was on the wiki page for SKS'..

The caption reads: "A Viet Cong soldier crouches in a bunker with an SKS rifle and a lampshade helmet."

and the photo is dated 1968 according to the article.. So I'm not sure.. Maybe it is part of some exibit? or not.. Can't be sure.

·
Banned
630 Posts
In Operation "Fulton Square" which began in late Oct of 1969 and ended Jan of 1970, approximately 400 enemy were killed, varied captured weapons, icluding AKs,SKSs,old mausers, thompsons, m1 carbines...mostly AKs and SKSs though.
This was a combined operation with the 1st MarDiv, 101st Airborne, and 5th mechanized
Infantry in Quang Tri Province.....

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
Ford Prefect,

The ammo cans for the SKS were loaded with 10 round strippers clips usually in light green cotton bandoleers....and I never saw a jammed SKS.....or AK for that matter....

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Here's a pic of Charles, who appears to be barely able to hold it up, nevermind shoot it..

It is amazing what a half-starved 110lb person can do with just a lamp shade, old rifle, pajamas, flip-flops and a whole lot of grit.

I keep looking for the pull-string next to his ear.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Highlander,

This has to be a "Prop" shot, he 's not carrying Chicom potato masher grenades in a bag or extra bandoleers of ammo around his neck......

·
Banned
630 Posts
Highlander,

It's definitely not an issue bandoleer,their bandoleers were segmented like ours but were
buttoned on each segment and it can't be a grenade bag because it is too narrow and not the right shape....I still haven't discerned what it is......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts