Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the cheapest online right now to buy reliable detachable sks mags. Cheaper than dirt has Tapco's for around $18 right now.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
Save your money, they really aren't worth it. If you need higher mag capacity, just buy one and leave it in the rifle.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,603 Posts
IMO you are better off using it with stripper clips as it was designed. Practice and reloads will be plenty fast enough. Plus you can carry more ammo. Otherwise sell it and get an M or D model that takes AK mags.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
105 Posts
Save your money, they really aren't worth it. If you need higher mag capacity, just buy one and leave it in the rifle.
That ^ is what I ended up doing with my SKS. Didn't last long, though. The original magazine went back into it when I acquired some stripper clips....

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,116 Posts
The Tapco's are the only truly reliable aftermarket mags for the SKS. But there's nothing wrong with just keeping the factory mag and using strippers either. With a little practice, you can load extremely fast with them. In fact, I see the stripper clip loading system as one of the SKSes bonuses. It means you can carry more ammo with less weight and expense than gun that require detachable mags.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Every once in a while you will see an internet vendor sell Tapco 20's for around $12, usually a color they can't seem to move. I haven't seen them on sale for a while.

By the way, Benny gives 5%-%10 (board supporters) for members of SKSBoards, no tax outside of Ohio and shipping is very reasonable.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Tapco 20 rounders are the only Mags worth buying. Any others are junk and will reduce reliability. They can also be modified to use stripper clips just like the factory mag. Right now Tapco has stopped making them because they moved facilities and are now working on the machines that they uses to make the mags. So there is a shortage. they are supposed to start production back up soon though.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
It baffles me how many people are opposed to or even get down right offended when someone wants to make some improvements to their SKS. The SKS is indeed a great platform in its stock form. However, just like the AR and the AK people like to modify and make improvements and other changes to meet their needs more efficiently. If you dont have anything better to add than "just get an AK" or "save your money they really arent worth it" maybe you should just move along and keep your comments to yourself. He didnt ask if they were worth it, he didnt ask if he should get an AK or an SKS-D or M model. :headshake:

·
Hardcore survival
635 Posts
Pics? - sorry, sold 'em in 2009 (both Chicom junk)

But I did take a lot of notes...

It's a lot of work and you will need a milling machine, pencil grinder, files punches and the usual bench tools -- and a plenty of elbow grease.

Описана история создания самозарядного карабина Симонова :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Z_bKHOfJ1uQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=e4CtB7PqQHM&feature=endscreen

English ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wOqJreCG9aE&feature=endscreen

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My gunsmith is working on doing heavy mods to an SKS. Shortened the barrel to 16", converting to accept mags, threaded the barrel, and replacing the stock with something custom. Can't wait till it's done

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
My gunsmith is working on doing heavy mods to an SKS. Shortened the barrel to 16", converting to accept mags, threaded the barrel, and replacing the stock with something custom. Can't wait till it's done
Show us some pics when its done!!!!

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen!
Hope it's done soon, I want to see it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts