Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/hi_point_carbines.html
In some situations and senerios the Hi-Point may actually be a better choice.
One it is a lot lighter and shorter than a SKS by about 2 pounds and over 6 inches shorter. It has a pistol style grip that make for easier reloading. The 995 is a detachable magazine that can be swapped out while holding with one hand making for a quicker reload. Both hold ten rounds but the SKS is a fixed magazine and requires use of stripper clip charged ammo.
Another is if one has pistols already in 9x19 standard ammo.
The 995's and 40 S&W carbines are rated to use +P+ ammo and in the ranges of 100+ yards are effective rounds.
In an urban setting or in the piney woods the lighter weight and shorter length make for a easer to handle thus point and shoot weapon.
I have both guns and sure for an extended slug it out with Ozombies I would perfer the SKS for what I am likely to encounter the Hi-Point carbine will serve me well.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Guns are like clothes in that they have to fit you or they suck. I would go with the SKS because I don't care for long guns with pistol ammo. If you love the Hipoint then it is the gun for you.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
I wasn't aware Hi Point made anything like that. I'd be a little wary of them.

Has anybody had any experience with them?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious.. Would you have the same opinion if you had an aftermarket stock and high capacity mags for the SKS?
Not what I was comparing. Sure if I adjust the parameters then that changes.
The expense of adding those extra items also is a consideration that makes the price difference between the two quite different nearly double the cost.
I personally feel it is best to compare stock to stock rather than accessorized to stock or accessorized to accessorized. Most people are going for stock anyway.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Not what I was comparing. Sure if I adjust the parameters then that changes.
The expense of adding those extra items also is a consideration that makes the price difference between the two quite different nearly double the cost.
I personally feel it is best to compare stock to stock rather than accessorized to stock or accessorized to accessorized. Most people are going for stock anyway.
My question wasn't really to determine which is better.. I was just curious for some reason.

I think both guns are two entirely different animals.. I don't think you can compare what they do.. I'd compare an SKS and a shorty AK and think that in the woods or a situation where you would be benefited by a shorter rifle, the AK shorty would be the way to go, but I don't see the 40 S&W as being a comparable enough round to bring the gun to the same level as the SKS..

granted, I don't own the Hi point.. But speaking purely on ballistics, I don't see how it can be comparable, even though they seem like GREAT guns to own and I am planning to pick one up..

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
While heavier, the SKS isn't much larger than the Hi-point. The SKS is leaps and bounds ahead of the Hi-point from a ballistics standpoint. Accuracy-wise, they are about the same inside 100 yards. From 100 yards on, the SKS again trumps the Hi-point. They are both carbines, but they are at opposite ends of the carbine spectrum. If forced to rely on only one, there would be absolutely no advantage to the hi-point. The SKS wins in every category.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts