Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for either a 12 or 20 gauge skeet gun, but i have a budget of around 700 dollars. i was looking at a mossberg 75410 but i wanted to see if you guys had any other suggestions. I'm open to any action whether it be over under, side by side, or semi auto. Thanks.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I'm in the market for either a 12 or 20 gauge skeet gun, but i have a budget of around 700 dollars. i was looking at a mossberg 75410 but i wanted to see if you guys had any other suggestions. I'm open to any action whether it be over under, side by side, or semi auto. Thanks.
May I suggest you check the billboard at your local skeet range? Those guys are constantly upgrading their equipment and are looking to sell what they have been using.

You have to understand no self respecting skeet shooter would get caught dead shooting a Rem 1100 after he found a Krieghoff and no self respecting skeet shooter would get caught dead with a Krieghoff after he found a Perazzi etc... After all shooting skeet with a peion's field gun is blasphemy...

On a more serious note; as skeet shooters develop their skill they start using smaller guns. You can always tell the great skeet shooters because they're shooting 28 ga or .410's. Only the new guys and duffers shoot 12ga (no reflection on you as I assume you're fairly new at the game...)

Allan -- look at the message under my avatar

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I would say they rank in this order

-over under
-semi auto
-side by side

The over under is the quickest repeat shot. Also you can put a tighter choke for the 2nd shot because it may be farther away.

Semi-autos are reliable if maintained. I have a 11-87 in 20 guage, no problems with it. Browning gold series are great semi-autos for the price, so is 1100's.

side by sides can be aukward to aim and the barrels are usually pointed into each other.

I shoot 20 gauge at trap. It is a little bit harder. IF you do not plan on shooting on a regular basis, the 12 is fine. The 20 gauge works fine too, but expect to miss an extra 10-20% of them.

to combine a good trap gun and SHTF, consider the remington 11-87 shotgun. I trust it enough to be the house gun.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...to combine a good trap gun and SHTF, consider the remington 11-87 shotgun. I trust it enough to be the house gun.
That's good advice but the buyer needs to be aware that the stock on a dedicated "trap gun" is different from the stock on a field gun. On a field gun a properly sighted gun will have the bead covering the target whereas on a trapgun the properly sighted gun will have the target sitting on top of the bead (i.e. the trap gun shoots higher so you must hold lower.) The different sight picture is accomplished by differing "drop" of the stock...

Having said that the Rem 11-87 or 1100 are great guns and either will accomplish a wide variety of missions. You just gotta be aware of the differences...

Allan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts