Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is our first post! Just found this awesome board a couple days ago. You all have wealth of knowledge and information! We are off to a late start of getting prepared :(, we've always have a bunch of stuff everywhere, but nothing organized, but we at all full speed now. We live in Hawaii so getting products to us isn't always easy or the shipping is crazy.

Preparing to purchase a Berkey water filter system, but can't figure out which one to buy, the Imperial or the Royal. We are a family of 4. With the possiblity of a few more if there's an emergency. What do you suggest? It would only be used if needed. I've seen a couple conflicting sites with the recommended size for # people ratio.

Thanks for your help, suggestions, etc.!!

·
Voyager
22 Posts
Our family consists of wife, 4 yr. daughter two dogs and myself. We must filter all our water as our pipes need to be replaced.

We have a Big Berky and wish we would have bought a least 1 size up. Next time we will buy the largest we can afford.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I suggest you go with at least a Royal Berkey or a berkey light, and go up from there.

One thing that I really like about the berkey light - you can see the water level.

One thing I really like about the royal berkey - its stainless and can stored in a remote location without the fear of rodents chewing a hole in it.

But regardless of which one you go with, get at least 4 filters, not 4 berkey units, but 4 of the replacement filters. In my test, in hot weather conditions, or for families with more then 4 people, 2 filters may not provide enough water. So be sure to get a berkey that accepts 4 filters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.