Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, the majority of people are not very aware of their surroundings. I also believe that situational awareness deteriorates as people age.

For me, I am always surveying my surroundings. I feel weird doing it because, as I survey, it's clear that I'm usually the only doing it.

I took my sons to the gun range last weekend. My senses are especially heightened at a range because you never know what kind of yahoo is going to walk up or how their gun-safety skills are. Anyway, a young man, maybe 17-20 years old walked up. Lightweight trench coat. Kind of a disheveled look in general. I don't like to judge by appearance, but he just had this weird look in his eyes, hard to explain. He seemed really uncertain of himself, almost jittery, while setting up his guns and sorting out his ammo. He somehow managed to knock his several thousand dollar long-range rifle off his rest, it bounced off the table and almost fell on the ground. I was on edge the whole time next to this dude, something just seemed off.
Can you imagine being a Drill instructor putting a rifle in the hands for the first time with some of these young people. Uggg!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,549 Posts
Imagine being in a school today having to teach an electronic shop class. A black neutral wire is now racist and all wires have the right to choose if they are positive or negative.
My husband bought a computer power supply from a guy. My husband was black but light skinned so it wasn't apparent. Ron said the guy leaned in as he gave the change and said "I'm not a racist (UH OH) but keep the blacks together when you plug it in". That was over 20 years ago. I can only imagine what he would say these days.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It is not just situational awareness, it is a lot of things and I don't blame the young people who are lacking those skills.

I blame the parents.

My wife and I are parents and it is a responsibility that we take seriously. My kids are not going to be lacking basic common sense or knowledge so help me God!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Ugh I hate the idea of having an Alexa. Terrible. One thing I try to do is when something breaks I try to figure it out. Can I fix it? In doing this I get a crash course in the topic. I have fixed many things and learned a lot that I otherwise would not have if I just bought a new one. So technology is good for this. But you have to want to do it the hard way. I have also failed some. Tried to fix my tv. Which after watching lots of videos and learning about it was basically not possible. But I still learned a lot. I have a drain clog problem now that has been snaked by a plumber twice. So now I'm getting a crash course in plumbing because I have to get under the house and figure it out. My point is you have to want it. People lack a curiosity cuz the answer is just handed to them. They lack awareness because safety is handed to them. They lack a drive to succeed because they can just order another one. It's sad really.
Our son and daughter in law have an Alexa, in their kitchen. Their fridge has a big electronic screen where you can pull up pictures, a calendar, reminders, stuff like that. Apparently Alexa communicates with their fridge. A couple weeks ago my son made some pointed comment about taxes or gun control or COVID shots or something. Seconds later, his comment was on the fridge TV! Mighty creepy! I wouldn’t have one of those Alexas. Course, I wouldn’t have a computer screen in my fridge door either.

·
Registered
I don't know
155 Posts
I would say it depends on what kind of life you live. If I hear sirens, I'm flipping on the scanner. If you live in the big city you probably ignore them. I live way back in a boreal swamp. I can tell where the wolves are by listening to the call of the raven or where the bear are by listening to the blue jay. If my chickens sound off I'm out the door with the 12 gauge. Yet I've noticed other people never hear them. I am a woman and I can tell you when I worked at a gas station when I was younger I could tell when people walked through the door just by the air pressure change, and when I worked alone I could smell if it was a man or a woman. One of the joys of being a woman with rapists as problem. I'm sure other people are aware of things I am not because that is what their lives taught them. If you live an easy life with no dangers or even cautions you probably lack the awareness that others who do live with more cautions have.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I had shop in junior high. Still have the wood box and plant stand I made lol. I learned lots from that and encountered lots of tools I had never seen before. Not an option in high school. Which I wish it had been cuz I would have signed up in a minute.
In my high school you either took college prep or a trade course.
We also had summer school where you could take two academic courses.
Doing that twice would cut a year off your high school time, making it 3 years instead of four

So! I took a trade and also went to summer school, so that I gained the trade chops
and also qualified on the college track. Didn't get the trade I wanted, but sheet metal
was good experience anyway.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
The core of this is the technology and the smartphone.
What was billed as a way to "unify" the world has actually homogenized the ability to think.
In times past, the need to think one's way through things (eg: slide rule v. calculator. v smartphone v. Alexa) is where the problem lies.
The laziness is not confined to the body alone but also the mind.
In 10-30 years, the majority of folks in old folks homes will have a very REAL and very SERIOUS cognitive decline and until we rid ourselves of this techno BS, you will see further decline with gradually younger and younger people. Unable to think, act and engage. All because "Alexa" does it for them!
Few days ago I was asked to ride shotgun for a college girl who had a learner's permit
and was going to take the road test. In the car I asked if she had a mental image of
how to get there. She pointed to the phone mounted on the dash and sporting GPS. Ha~!

It worked, but in my opinion it didn't go the most efficient way. I guess that was OK.
I learned a new way through some residential neighborhoods...

·
I have control issues
6,463 Posts
Personally, I think it's a combination of things, and it started WAY before smartphones and all of the technology gadgets that are so pervasive today.

It STARTS in the home. Kids today are so mollycoddled, that they can barely even make a decision, much less think about the consequences of their actions or anticipated actions. Rather than going outside and playing riding bikes, skateboards, etc, they are in their rooms watching TV or playing video games and living in a fantasy world. They also are "conditioned" to be self-centered and selfish, and brought up with the expectation that society "owes" them, simply because they exist.

It is compounded in the schools. Critical thinking USED to be taught, but any more, kids are expected to just parrot back whatever drivel the teacher is cramming down their throats. Disagreeing with the "party line" is not simply not encouraged, but punished. Thinking for themselves is HIGHLY discouraged. Plus, with the current "everyone gets a trophy for participation" and "We can't use red or purple ink when grading papers because it might hurt their feelings" drivel, they DON'T learn how to cope with disappointment or loss.

Now add into that the prevalence of the "electronic umbilical cords" (smartphones, video game systems, etc.), and they are so distracted by those (ore so focused on them as to be oblivious to everything else) that they are completely oblivious to everything else.

"Common sense" and the situational awareness require the ability to THINK, something that a large number of people today no longer seem to be able to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree that situatioanl awareness has totally gone down hill since the introduction of mobile phones and ear buds. I see people walking out into traffic oblivious to oncoming traffic. I also drive two major NJ highways each day and I have noticed drivers changing lanes without checking to see if there is another vechicle near them. Just yeasterday I saw a CRV switch from the right lane to the middle lane and smash into a car in the middle lane because the driver simply switched lanes without looking.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
More distractions and a couple of generations very self-absorbed. I won't ever be a "gray man" in a large metro area; I'm too observant. I'm in awe just looking around at how many people can literally not pay attention to their surroundings as they go about their business. I've been so some sketchy parts of the world, situational awareness is critical. Where you walk, how you walk, where you sit, identifying exits and egress points, calculating avenues of approach, mentally assessing adequate cover, and profiling as many people as I can process and cataloging those that don't necessarily fit the environment. My wife laughs, but allows me to pick tables where I can scan a restaurant room and a nearby exit or two. I don't even like to carry my phone in my hand when on foot; I want both hands free.

Add a SHTF chaos scenario and you'll see plenty of Darwin awards where many will not survive a few days...

ROCK6

·
Registered
280 Posts
More distractions and a couple of generations very self-absorbed. I won't ever be a "gray man" in a large metro area; I'm too observant. I'm in awe just looking around at how many people can literally not pay attention to their surroundings as they go about their business. I've been so some sketchy parts of the world, situational awareness is critical. Where you walk, how you walk, where you sit, identifying exits and egress points, calculating avenues of approach, mentally assessing adequate cover, and profiling as many people as I can process and cataloging those that don't necessarily fit the environment. My wife laughs, but allows me to pick tables where I can scan a restaurant room and a nearby exit or two. I don't even like to carry my phone in my hand when on foot; I want both hands free.

Add a SHTF chaos scenario and you'll see plenty of Darwin awards where many will not survive a few days...

ROCK6
Yeah I like having lots of pockets because I like having my hands free. Shoes are another big thing for me. Don't like cowboy boots and hate sandals. Could I run in them if I had to is my criteria. I see these people wearing some of the most ridiculous shoes. Their only real option if they had to run is go barefoot. Who knows what will be on the ground. Last thing you need in a crisis and an easily avoided foot injury.

·
Chef,cook & bottle washer
423 Posts
I get bored/complacent and forget to look around, especially if Ive been out patrolling awhile…I catch myself several times a day , sometimes, getting slack…was rolling on my mower yesterday before I realized I didn't have my yard gun on…Old age, easy living, lack of thugs locally…all play a part-jmo
I am seriously jealous…I have no yard gun…all these years I have been making the edc pull double, triple duty! Always wanted a truck gun but hate leaving one in the truck…Lol

As far as the OP…it’s gone…trying very hard to teach it to my wife and daughters but I’m not sure I’m succeeding.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
I am seriously jealous…I have no yard gun…all these years I have been making the edc pull double, triple duty! Always wanted a truck gun but hate leaving one in the truck…Lol

As far as the OP…it’s gone…trying very hard to teach it to my wife and daughters but I’m not sure I’m succeeding.
.357 snubbie revolver, 2 rds CCI snake loads,3 of silver tip Glaser 38+P….’Yard Gun’😂

·
Registered
280 Posts

I have been teaching it to my wife. I thought it wasn't sticking either. Then the other week she told he she was coming out of a store, was watching her surroundings, saw a creepy guy walking through the cars in the parking lot. She decided to stay in the store until he was gone and when she did go to her car had her pepper spray ready. I was surprised. She actually pays attention to me. So keep at it they might surprise you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your right. Its also technology. Technology has removed common sense making it not so common.
Technology, especially social media, has replaced personal responsibility and thoughtfulness, with programmed thinking and emotional irresponsibility. People now depend upon others for thinking for them and telling them how to, or, if they should be, reacting. Those who are addicted may "know" more, but are living a life of disassociation from reality.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife laughs, but allows me to pick tables where I can scan a restaurant room and a nearby exit or two.
Used to be that way for me also. I still don't sit with my back to the door if I can in any way avoid it. But now my wife will sit facing the door and alert me if anyone "interesting" enters.
My entire life I have always known where the nearest exit is. Always. All the kids are that way now. I used to randomly ask them every time we were in an unfamiliar place. They eventually got to where they could answer at any time. Keep it up and they will learn.
I also never go anywhere there are huge crowds. Too unpredictable.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
It’s not smart phones, tech, or anything like that.

It’s the fact that, back in the day, being stupid hurt. And hurt a lot.

And then, after that, dad would help you understand how stupid that was by giving you an earful, or some physical memory stimulation and attitude adjustment ranging from a smack to a whuppin’. Started early, so the kid could survive puberty.

And you didn’t get to blame anyone or anything else. You just learned your lesson, and got smarter, or you didn’t, and needed a few more lessons, and if THAT didn’t work, eventually Darwin’s theories kicked in. But no one was going to bail you out.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
Used to be that way for me also. I still don't sit with my back to the door if I can in any way avoid it. But now my wife will sit facing the door and alert me if anyone "interesting" enters.
My entire life I have always known where the nearest exit is. Always. All the kids are that way now. I used to randomly ask them every time we were in an unfamiliar place. They eventually got to where they could answer at any time. Keep it up and they will learn.
I also never go anywhere there are huge crowds. Too unpredictable.
We took my Son and Future DIL to dinner last week…Hes a newly minted MP/Deputy Sheriff…both of us collided trying to get to the corner chair😂..Im, like, “you sit there but dont go staring at something all intent like over my shoulder🤪

·
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
1,428 Posts
Also, today people are just plain selfish! They think that others should be looking out for them and get out of their way and they do not have to be aware of others or give way to others. (Example given about the repairman trying to fix a machine while the operator stands right there and not moving).

Just try navigating an aisle in a store! People will stop dead in the aisle, block it and be completely oblivious of anyone else trying to get by or get something from the same shelf.

Back in the day, people were aware and courteous towards others. Held the door, stepped aside for ladies and elders, moved to the side of an aisle while shopping so others could pass by or get something from the self as well.

Same for the highways. Nobody yields for emergency vehicles today and even collide with them. Even though they have dozens of bright lights and sirens and other devices and some emergency vehicles are as large as building now. People merge and change lanes without looking because they expect/demand others to be aware of them instead of the other way around.

Selfishness, oblivion, laziness and lack of courtesy all contribute to today's low situational awareness.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts