Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
5,655 Posts
Ugh I hate the idea of having an Alexa. Terrible. One thing I try to do is when something breaks I try to figure it out. Can I fix it? In doing this I get a crash course in the topic. I have fixed many things and learned a lot that I otherwise would not have if I just bought a new one. So technology is good for this. But you have to want to do it the hard way. I have also failed some. Tried to fix my tv. Which after watching lots of videos and learning about it was basically not possible. But I still learned a lot. I have a drain clog problem now that has been snaked by a plumber twice. So now I'm getting a crash course in plumbing because I have to get under the house and figure it out. My point is you have to want it. People lack a curiosity cuz the answer is just handed to them. They lack awareness because safety is handed to them. They lack a drive to succeed because they can just order another one. It's sad really.
We now live in a throw away society!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
The core of this is the technology and the smartphone.
What was billed as a way to "unify" the world has actually homogenized the ability to think.
In times past, the need to think one's way through things (eg: slide rule v. calculator. v smartphone v. Alexa) is where the problem lies.
The laziness is not confined to the body alone but also the mind.
In 10-30 years, the majority of folks in old folks homes will have a very REAL and very SERIOUS cognitive decline and until we rid ourselves of this techno BS, you will see further decline with gradually younger and younger people. Unable to think, act and engage. All because "Alexa" does it for them!
BINGO! I'm beyond sick and tired of it also!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
NAVAITY !!!!! >>> the doofus gene is spreading and multiplying in the younger generations faster all the time ...

awareness is widely dead because of the mentality associated anymore with "differences" - you're a bigot, racist, "old foggy", - a major azzhole - if you see a need for alertness because a certain type of person is coming your way ...
You nailed it!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Could it also be that the overstimulation of the modern mind has caused more "tuning out" and remaining in Beta brain? 30 years ago very little was on my mind outside of what local girls to chase and what little bills I had pay. Today people are getting bombarded with mis/information, fear, and opinions on a large scale to the point where people just want to tune out. I don't believe we were designed to have such a scope of concern.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You pay more attention to your surroundings if you can imagine what dangers might be hiding there.

The younger you are, the less imagination you have. That's in direct contrast to a few generations ago, when kids had vivid imaginations, and it was the adults who became jaded.

This same lack of imagination has been noticed by fiction writers in another forum. Readers often lack the ability to identify with characters in a story, or to even understand stories written in another era. Of course, these are the readers who complain most loudly, because they aren't smart enough to realize they are proclaiming their own inability to understand stuff that an average 3rd grader would have understood 50 years ago.

It's evolution at work - when being stupid carries no consequences, stupid survives and multiplies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Could it also be that the overstimulation of the modern mind has caused more "tuning out" and remaining in Beta brain? 30 years ago very little was on my mind outside of what local girls to chase and what little bills I had pay. Today people are getting bombarded with mis/information, fear, and opinions on a large scale to the point where people just want to tune out. I don't believe we were designed to have such a scope of concern.
I do think this is a factor.

·
Registered
664 Posts
One thing I noticed in the engineering world is that the new guys can't see where the decimal point should be when the calculator gets it wrong. Back in the slide rule days all you got was 3 or 4 numbers and you had to figure out the decimal place, that is no longer required.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, the majority of people are not very aware of their surroundings. I also believe that situational awareness deteriorates as people age.

For me, I am always surveying my surroundings. I feel weird doing it because, as I survey, it's clear that I'm usually the only doing it.

I took my sons to the gun range last weekend. My senses are especially heightened at a range because you never know what kind of yahoo is going to walk up or how their gun-safety skills are. Anyway, a young man, maybe 17-20 years old walked up. Lightweight trench coat. Kind of a disheveled look in general. I don't like to judge by appearance, but he just had this weird look in his eyes, hard to explain. He seemed really uncertain of himself, almost jittery, while setting up his guns and sorting out his ammo. He somehow managed to knock his several thousand dollar long-range rifle off his rest, it bounced off the table and almost fell on the ground. I was on edge the whole time next to this dude, something just seemed off.

·
Registered
280 Posts
HuntFishCamp I have had the same experience being the only one scanning all the time. Its kind of funny every now and then I will lock eyes with another "scanner". Kind of a "I see you bro, good on ya" moment lol. Anyway. With your scenario you kept your alert up and kept an eye on him. Your primitive lizard brain cued up to him as being off. I think a lot of people get that feeling but ignore it. When that happens I listen, cuz there is a reason its happening. Our modern culture encourages ignoring that and discounts it being prejudice or judgmental. We didn't develop that instinct for no reason.

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,669 Posts
Y'all ain't wrong LOL.
I remember when people socialized. Went to bars. Cruising on "main street" or the mall. Heck, in the city I grew up in there was one mall that was built inside an oval street "parkway", a mile one way, half mile across. The main mall in the center had six major department stores and that outside ring had shops all along its length. Today, that mall is empty and most of the shops along the parkway are doing poorly. Skating rinks, sports events and actually interacted with one another on a personal level rather than through an iddy-bitty screen. I remember when they had shop class in high school. Yeah. Auto shop, wood shop, metal shop. When schools taught kids how to live rather than fill their heads with a buncha social-bladyblah. Then there's City. And then there's Country. Depends on how someone is brung up. It is tiring though, seeing so many clueless mouth-breathers.....LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
When all they see is there are no consequences for your actions, they figure they don't need to worry about it. I am talking about corrupt politicians all the way down to teen pregnancy.

All of my children live with their head on a swivel. Especially my daughter. That was ingrained in them by me since they were born. It took some time to train my wife, but she is an expert now.

I think a lot of it is because nobody ever teaches them anything. Simple things like learning to read or count/add/subtract before kindergarten don't really happen anymore. I work at a skool. Our future is in serious peril.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Imagine being in a school today having to teach an electronic shop class. A black neutral wire is now racist and all wires have the right to choose if they are positive or negative.
Not trying to give you a hard time. But there is no such thing as a "Black Neutral wire". Neutral wires are white always. Black wires are "Hot" AC or "Negative" DC.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Physical inactivity plays a part, IMO. Used to be you had to pay attention when running, biking, playing ball, climbing trees, etc., etc, or you'd get hurt. Nowadays so many kids are protected from any and every kind of physical injury, even if it means no outdoor time or no sports. You can look at a person and often tell if they had enough physical activity as a kid. Adults who were active as a kid carry themselves and walk and move differently, even when they get older and gain weight and get out of shape physically.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,168 Posts
I think it has to do with focus. People are so focused on the screen that even if there is no screen, peripheral vision has been turned off. Folks need to learn to put the screen away and visit reality occasionally.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also inteligence decreasing. At my work jokingly telling a young guard not to pet the black cats with a white stripe and hes says: "why because it has rabies?" I said : "No because it is a skunk." totally lost....Lol

21 - 40 of 65 Posts