Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is situational awareness dead?
Has peripheral vision faded?
Is having the ability to see multiple steps ahead and make the proper timely correction gone?
Maybe none of this has ever been ingrained in a high percentage of people?

I have worked at my job for 25 years, it’s a small production facility. We have people moving product around on pallet jacks, high rises, clamp trucks, and people just in general.
I have noticed over the years that situational awareness and peripheral vision has really deteriorated. It used to be mostly women who seem to lack these attributes, but now I see a lot of young men suffering from this affliction. They walk or back into an isle just as someone is coming through with product. How is it possible not to see these things?
Also I see operators adjusting a piece of equipment, where the helper is feeding the machine, the helper does not move, they stand on top of operator, giving them no room to work. How can they not see they are in the way?
Even operators, how are you not able to see a few steps ahead? How can you not be consistent enough to be able dissect a problem and solve it quickly?
These are just a few examples I have seen over the years. There are many more out in public.

Makes me wonder the survival rate of a high percentage of people when SHTF!
What are your thoughts?

Edit. I’m not trying to indicting all women (or men), this is just a 25 year observation.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,690 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've seen this also. I think it comes from an assumption of safety that has whittled down their situational awareness. Its rampant I see it all the time people in their own world completely oblivious to their surroundings. It's the ingrained nothing will happen to me syndrome. Then they are shocked and unable to respond when something does happen.

·
Bugged out already
4,471 Posts
When I was in junior high and high school, you had to take shop classes, every semester. Welding, wood working, drafting, auto, you had to pick something. I still use the skills I learned in those days, safety being high among them.
Imagine being in a school today having to teach an electronic shop class. A black neutral wire is now racist and all wires have the right to choose if they are positive or negative.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had shop in junior high. Still have the wood box and plant stand I made lol. I learned lots from that and encountered lots of tools I had never seen before. Not an option in high school. Which I wish it had been cuz I would have signed up in a minute.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,681 Posts
I get bored/complacent and forget to look around, especially if Ive been out patrolling awhile…I catch myself several times a day , sometimes, getting slack…was rolling on my mower yesterday before I realized I didn't have my yard gun on…Old age, easy living, lack of thugs locally…all play a part-jmo

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I get bored/complacent and forget to look around, especially if Ive been out patrolling awhile…I catch myself several times a day , sometimes, getting slack…was rolling on my mower yesterday before I realized I didn't have my yard gun on…Old age, easy living, lack of thugs locally…all play a part-jmo
Yep. I’ve forgotten my dentures going to town before. I just keep going. But if I forgot to put on my sidearm ….

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Is having the ability to see multiple steps ahead and make the proper timely correction gone?

I have worked at my job for 25 years, it’s a small production facility. We have people moving product around on pallet jacks, high rises, clamp trucks, and people just in general.
I have noticed over the years that situational awareness and peripheral vision has really deteriorated. It used to be mostly women who seem to lack these attributes, but now I see a lot of young men suffering from this affliction. They walk or back into an isle just as someone is coming through with product. How is it possible not to see these things?
Also I see operators adjusting a piece of equipment, where the helper is feeding the machine, the helper does not move, they stand on top of operator, giving them no room to work. How can they not see they are in the way?
Even operators, how are you not able to see a few steps ahead? How can you not be consistent enough to be able dissect a problem and solve it quickly?
These are just a few examples I have seen over the years. There are many more out in public.

What are your thoughts?
men and women by nature have different awareness. women can hear a baby crying from 25 feet away. men dont. women will ask 'how far along in her pregnancy do you think she is?' men will respond i didnt notice

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
NAVAITY !!!!! >>> the doofus gene is spreading and multiplying in the younger generations faster all the time ...

awareness is widely dead because of the mentality associated anymore with "differences" - you're a bigot, racist, "old foggy", - a major azzhole - if you see a need for alertness because a certain type of person is coming your way ...

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
The core of this is the technology and the smartphone.
What was billed as a way to "unify" the world has actually homogenized the ability to think.
In times past, the need to think one's way through things (eg: slide rule v. calculator. v smartphone v. Alexa) is where the problem lies.
The laziness is not confined to the body alone but also the mind.
In 10-30 years, the majority of folks in old folks homes will have a very REAL and very SERIOUS cognitive decline and until we rid ourselves of this techno BS, you will see further decline with gradually younger and younger people. Unable to think, act and engage. All because "Alexa" does it for them!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ugh I hate the idea of having an Alexa. Terrible. One thing I try to do is when something breaks I try to figure it out. Can I fix it? In doing this I get a crash course in the topic. I have fixed many things and learned a lot that I otherwise would not have if I just bought a new one. So technology is good for this. But you have to want to do it the hard way. I have also failed some. Tried to fix my tv. Which after watching lots of videos and learning about it was basically not possible. But I still learned a lot. I have a drain clog problem now that has been snaked by a plumber twice. So now I'm getting a crash course in plumbing because I have to get under the house and figure it out. My point is you have to want it. People lack a curiosity cuz the answer is just handed to them. They lack awareness because safety is handed to them. They lack a drive to succeed because they can just order another one. It's sad really.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Old age I can understand, but my observation is, I’m seeing higher percentage of people with blinders on (with or without a phone). The inability to self assess and self correct seems to be rampant in today’s society.
To see the same people continuously making
bad/poor/incorrect decisions is amazing to me. It’s truly the definition of insanity.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Old age I can understand, but my observation is, I’m seeing higher percentage of people with blinders on (with or without a phone). The inability to self assess and self correct seems to be rampant in today’s society.
bad/poor/incorrect decisions is amazing to me. It’s truly the definition of insanity.
Valid point.

Which again presses me to state that it is the lack of mental exercize that it doing this.

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
5,664 Posts

What are your thoughts?

Edit. I’m not trying to indicting all women (or men), this is just a 25 year observation.
My thoughts mirror yours as I've noticed the same in general and I've concluded it's because way too many are resigned and just no longer give a 💩 anymore. They are content just to slog through the day, go home, eat dinner, take in the Joseph Goebbels propaganda network puke pipe, and then top off the evening with Americas Got Talent or some other TV smut. They go to sleep and start a new day with the same BS as the previous. 'Classic DILLIGAF protocol of todays times for way too many!

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
5,664 Posts
That's an understatement Bro!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts