Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to present an idea for security against wheeled vehicles.

This avenue of defence has alot of merit in my book. It can be displayed in static form w/o anyone in attendence.

I saw these things called Road Stars years ago in a catalog of unusual items from a company in Evergreen Colorado. I tried to find the place but I fear it has gone out of budiness.

I bought the loose stars and first thought about throwing them lose all about the property and drive. I then realized that they needed to be accounted for for my own benifit.

I zip tied them to a length of chain. I can despence them quickly as well as gather them quickly so I can use the road or relocate the stars to another site.

The harder the surface the better they will work. In fall they are invisable.

They stay in a stuff sack ready in my " site security box " The box also contains a couple sets of handcuffs, and several pairs of heavy duty zip ties made into temporary handcuffs.
I also realized when handcuffing a person it is much safer to cuff one wrist then run the other cuff in behind the belt and then cuff the other wrist. If there is no belt, tie a length of rope around the waist . This will secure the cuffs, limit movement , and give greater security.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Big Eye, you need to paint them camo or gray color, so that they blend in with the grass or pavement, specially the chain.

They work best on a hard surface, on grass they just push in to the soil unless the ground is hard.

I have a bucket of those in our shop.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Was wondering what those pics were, in the gallery. Good idea, aren't they the same thing the police draw over the road to stop vehicles? Should setup your BOV to deploy them too :D:

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts

Get some angle iron and get to welding. It's cheap.

Now, for a driveway you don't need huge ones for stopping tanks. Smaller ones will F up any car or truck. About 3 feet high is all they need to be.

Oh, and weld loops on them so they can be chained together.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
we made things similar to your road chain when I was in Iraq. we could string a few layers of them out, and they worked very well. we also used items like CPT shortcut illustrated above. Both were effective. The chains are very easy to set out. just drag it out across a road. On dirt roads they are very easy to blend in, and very effective.

When we welded them up in Iraq, we used nails, and welded them to the chains. We made sure that the nails were close enough together that you couldn't dodge them. The amazing thing was that when a car drives over these chains, the nails stick into the tire. Once the nail is stuck, it wraps the chain around the A-arm, and all that jazz in the front end. I've actually seen it lock up a front wheel drive car. These can be effective.

Big eye, If you welded the stops you have to the chain, and placed them a bit closer together, you would have one vicious car stopper. We also used a much heavier chain.

good work!

Reactions: arrexian

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
I always called these caltrops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrop

We would make these with a friends welding machine. The trick is to get an angle so that no matter how it lands on the ground, a point is sticking up.

We wouldn't use anything that linked them together though because they could be moved easier, which depending on how you use them can be a good thing or bad thing.
I think these would be great to carry in your car wtshtf to stop someone from tailing your car and trying to take it. Scatter them on your property and someone would have to physically move them out of the way if not on a chain. They also stop horses etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts