Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you on dial up, the discussion is single burner stoves.

This video was posted in 2007.

This video was posted in 2017.

Attachments

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Kev, I love your videos, but no way I would use propane or butane for a BOB. I carry a MSR whisperlite international. 100% field serviceable, and runs on camp fuel, kerosene, jet fuel and most importantly, unleaded. I also carry a three foot length of clear plastic tubing for "foraging" fuel. My 1 liter bottle lasts about a week of two hots a day, and I have two other smaller (20 oz) fuel bottles for longer treks into the woods. (yes, I've left my tent at home in order to carry more food, I kinda like getting out there)

If you don't want to spend the cash on the MSR, which is light and breaks down quite small, you can also go for something like the coleman peak one multifuel which sells much cheaper, and still runs on naptha (camp fuel) kerosene or unleaded. My mom has my old one in her garage, loaded into a pot next to her freezer (half full of frozen gallon jugs of ice to keep stuff cold when power goes out) every now and then when I head down to visit, we use it to cook next to the BBQ so she will remember how to use it.

Eventually, I'd like to get one of the primus multifuels that run on diesel. Initial tests indicate they will run on biofuel. There is even a campstove made in India that is a 100% grease burner.

Seriously though, I hate disposable propane and butane canisters. You can;t refill them, so they get tossed, and since you can't ship fuel, you have to find a place that sells them when you run out, which can be a problem with the nearest store 15 miles away and you on foot.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your comments have got me to thinking. My wife and are going with rechargeable batteries on everything in the house, so why not go with rechargeable fuel tanks on my stove.

I will look into a coleman multi-fuel stove and if I buy one, which I think I just might, I will put together a video on it.

Thank you.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
I have a special valve that allows you to refuel disposable propane tanks, I bought it from Harbour Frieght. This process is a tad dangerous, so I don't fill the tanks full, but it does work. If SHTF it is another tool in the tool box, just in case. I have fall back plans beyond propane, one can never have enough 'fall back' plans.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Kenno, that's cool. I love harbor freight. I only buy disposables and light use gadgetry there, but love it. My boss loves it too much, he buys power tools, then wonders why my expensive DeWalt, Bosch and Porter Cables last so much longer. (And it's not because I use his cheap tools to avoid wear on mine, the things scare me)

Kev, do you have a solar charger? I made mine from powerfilm and they worked for a while, but I am a harsh environment with boots on, and after rewireing them three or four times each, they finally expired. Loved them though, weighed next to nothing and velcroed onto my pack. (is it really a bug out bag, if you can live out of it indefinately?)

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I don't like the idea of carrying around liquid fuel in my BOB, or in the trunk of the car. Stuff gets gets a lot of ruff treatment in my car, and liquids always seem to leak out. I have a pocket rocket stove and two cans of propane that I carry in the car bag. They don't take up a lot of space, and don't leak, at least not yet. With that said, I would like to have a multi-fuel stove for long term bug out, it's on my long list.

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is what I use. I use to have the type that you put onto the propane tanks until I was hiking in the N.C. mountains at Christmas one year and the temp. was below freezing most of the time, the dang thing just would not work. I fixed the problem.

Powerful 10,500-BTU burner adjusts from low to high for optimal cooking performance; Operates on clean burning Coleman Liquid Fuel or unleaded gas; Compact, yet boils a quart of water in 4 minutes; 1.1-pint tank operates up to 1.75 hours on high.

Only Coleman offers the PerfectFlow pressure control system. The PerfectFlow regulator provides consistent cooking performance by producing a steady fuel stream, even in cold weather, high altitude or when fuel is low.

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
866 Posts
For my bob , I also have the MSR stove . Mine will burm on all types of fuels so you are not limited to a specific fuel type. They are more touchy than a propaine type.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hello,

I was carrying a propane bottle in my car bag. I was going through the bag one day and remembered how hot it was in the car. I read the bottle and it said not to store it in temps above 120 degrees F.

So how hot does a car get in the summer. It's been in the upper 90s here for the past like 2 months it feels like. This is South western Ohio.

i was thinking about just getting some cheap little solid fuel thing from Walmart or something.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
647 Posts
Kev, it's hard to beat the ole coleman 533. If you miss it on ebay, you can pick one up at Wal-Mart or Sears.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kev, it's hard to beat the ole coleman 533. If you miss it on ebay, you can pick one up at Wal-Mart or Sears.

I am looking on the coleman webpage and I do not see the 533 listed. The closest item is a feather 442 Dual Fuel Stove. Coleman has a Multi-Fuel Stove listed but its model number is 550B725. So maybe they stopped making the 533? Either way I am looking at the 533 or the 422.

Does anyone have any experience with a Coleman 422 stove?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Kev, I was unable to find it on the coleman web site when I was looking into the dual fuel stoves. I just happened upon it in the camping section of Wal-mart.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kev, I was unable to find it on the coleman web site when I was looking into the dual fuel stoves. I just happened upon it in the camping section of Wal-mart.

My wife and I are going to wal-mart this evening to buy some meat for the bar-b-q this weekend. I will look in the sporting goods section then. We want to get stocked up before the friday night rush.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up a Coleman 533 dual fuel stove today and a bottle of fuel. This is my first liquid fuel stove, so I will need to give it a test run this weekend.

I am thinking of doing a comparison between a propane stove and a liquid fuel stove. Since this is my first liquid fuel stove, I will post my first impressions.

Attachments

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What was the bottom line price, tax and all?
My wife and I bought it last night at wal-mart while we were buying other stuff for the bar-b-q, so I do not know what the price was with tax. The sale price was $38 and some change + tax, so say about $40.

Can't wait for the video Kev!

Thx, this would be a good time to compare propane and liquid fuel stoves.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts