Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I drink a lot of bottled water... I developed a taste for Deer Park when my kids had to make the transition from juice bags to something healthier. I now drink about 4 a day or more. This works out with my storm preparedness supplies, as I can be lazy and buy 5 cases at a time, once every few weeks, ensuring I never run out, and ensuring we have some bottled water on hand at all times for emergencies and so on.

The problem is, I recently discovered Instacart. They will, surprisingly, deliver up to 7 cases (40 16.9 oz bottles) to my house from the local Sam's Club, sparing my back, suspension, and patience. Now, however, I find myself with more bottles than i can reasonably store. You can only stack the cases so high, before some bottles on the bottom burst. No making a stack of ten cases, all vertical in the basement.

Anyone come up with an simple design for a wooden bottle dispenser/rack so I can reduce the footprint of my hoard of water bottles? I don't really have the space to stack them pallet-sized like at Sam's.

·
reluctant sinner
17,577 Posts
I think bottled water is way too expensive to buy for everyday use. Might be a good choice for BOB or GHB maybe even an INCH cart.

Build a wood shelf system.
Four 2x4x8' as the supports for the shelf system. Cut 2x4 and screw together a box a little bigger than your case of water. Cut some 1/4" plywood or scrap OSB from construction dumpsters to fit on your wood boxes and screw it in place. Take the covered shelves and screw the 8' supports with 3" torx deck screws.

You will likely need to make 2 shelving units to hold 10 cases of water.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Don't overthink..make 3 stacks of 3 cases,I stack'em 4 high,never had 1 break.
A dispenser will use more cubic footage.

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
Store bottled water isn't packaged for extended storage.

Bottled water companies have a completely different business model. The goal is to make you forget that you have a free faucet tap. They are selling you convenience and fake image of purity, not a storable resource. So they don't package it in containers that store long term.

So they either use short life PETE plastic or HDPE that has too thin a wall to hold up.

Water must be stored in Thick wall HDPE or polypropylene. These would be too expensive for water company profit models.

The only realistic water you can buy to store long term are the glass bottled import mineral seltzers.

Otherwise you have to buy dedicated water storage containers or the rare polypropylene jugs they sell a few brands of gallon tea in.

You buy plastic bottled water only for immediate use.

There is an expiration date on plastic water bottles. The date refers to bottle lifespan. Use it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't keep bottled water tucked away for eventual use, I keep about one month more than I use, rotating it out. I'm looking for someway to store that extra that takes the least floorspace

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I don't keep bottled water tucked away for eventual use, I keep about one month more than I use, rotating it out. I'm looking for someway to store that extra that takes the least floorspace
Since no one else is going to say it..good job on rotating your stock. 1month old water bottles are not old at all. If that water does become cooking and cleaning water 1 month may become only 2 weeks real quick.

Build your bottle racks way bigger than you think you need so storing more is easier.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
We drink bottled water too and I use the metal shelves. They are cheap and strong and hold a lot of cases. I put thin plywood on the shelf tops to even out the pressure.

Just a suggestion, but have you looked at 5 gallon water delivery service? We went to that about 6 years ago and it has worked out great. The kids drink it like crazy and we have eliminated juice and pop from the house because of it. The individual bottle waste really added up quick. You can also use a battery powered pump for emergencies or camping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts