Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to find something of that flavor. The reason I want an ambidextrous bow is that I learned to fire a gun with both hands, so I want to learn to shoot a bow the same way. Any help would be fantastic.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There are bows made to shoot each side. But now a days they are kid bows.

Pick a side and get good with that. If you have to, for reasons of your own, get anothee handed bow.

Getting good shooting a bow is suppose to be 2nd nature. So shoot one way and become one with the arrow lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are bows made to shoot each side. But now a days they are kid bows.

Pick a side and get good with that. If you have to, for reasons of your own, get anothee handed bow.

Getting good shooting a bow is suppose to be 2nd nature. So shoot one way and become one with the arrow lol
Second nature IS neigh ambidextrous with me. I like being able to change hands on the fly. Shooting, knife fighting, even hand to hand, I like switching hands and keeping people guessing.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,155 Posts
Ebay.: "Fiberglass Recurve Bow"

You'll find old fiberglass recurve bows from the 60's-80's.

I find them in thrift shops once or twice a year. I buy the ones that are 30-45 lb draw weights. There were several brands that made them but Fred Bear was a common name.

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
Or look at getting a long bow instead. Bows are only single-handed because of the arrow rest and the shape of the grip, neither of which do you find on most long bows.
Or, look at a Hungarian horse bow...similar style and shape to a recurve but without the arrow rest or handle shape.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Any traditional bow be they
Japanese yumi
english long bows
korean/ Asiatic horse bow style
to native American style bows

Will all have the ability to be fired either in the left or right hand. Because it's your knuckle that js the arrow rest I recomend a glove for the bow hand tho.

·
¡Salga de aquí!
4,290 Posts
I don't know squat about bows but if the handle is ambidextrous could you not just flip the bow upside down to change sides?

EDIT: Upon further thought, that might block the line of sight?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I don't know squat about bows but if the handle is ambidextrous could you not just flip the bow upside down to change sides?

EDIT: Upon further thought, that might block the line of sight?
Depends on the design. An A semetric bow like the Japanese yumi no. You don't need to flip em upside down just hold in different hand

And my advice is to make your own bow.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
yea sometimes i do.

Broken record? You preach about them often?
simple bow, easy to shoot, easy to set up, stowable. shot one for the last 8 months or so primarily. I set mine up as a garb and go, Razor tips in pouches, fletching glue, small jig, nocks and feathers, in a second pouch, (each grenade pouch will hold 2 tins) flashlight pouch with light, firestarter [email protected] fishing line spool (rig for my fishing arrow) a RAO Knife and kit, PG bow on one side, 6 feather carbon fiber arrows in a made holder, with a fishing shaft in center. , a water stray is also shoved in with the flashlight. every thing a growin lad needs to press on till he can get to where hes going....... it does have 1 small down side. short shelf. not a problem, doesn't bother me. I have kept mine simple, all i have added is a Flemish twist string and a string loop. 99% of the time i just use my fingers. on occasion, if i have shot the day before till i have peeled hide/blisters, I will use my old faithful release. either way i keep the bow simple and shooting instinctive. me, the primal, girlchild and her primal, are going hunting this weekend, with of course mr Zwicky :upsidedown:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
simple bow, easy to shoot, easy to set up, stowable. shot one for the last 8 months or so primarily. I set mine up as a garb and go, Razor tips in pouches, fletching glue, small jig, nocks and feathers, in a second pouch, (each grenade pouch will hold 2 tins) flashlight pouch with light, firestarter [email protected] fishing line spool (rig for my fishing arrow) a RAO Knife and kit, PG bow on one side, 6 feather carbon fiber arrows in a made holder, with a fishing shaft in center. , a water stray is also shoved in with the flashlight. every thing a growin lad needs to press on till he can get to where hes going....... it does have 1 small down side. short shelf. not a problem, doesn't bother me. I have kept mine simple, all i have added is a Flemish twist string and a string loop. 99% of the time i just use my fingers. on occasion, if i have shot the day before till i have peeled hide/blisters, I will use my old faithful release. either way i keep the bow simple and shooting instinctive. me, the primal, girlchild and her primal, are going hunting this weekend, with of course mr Zwicky :upsidedown:
After doing my own research on your recommendation I believe that you sir have introduced me to a major gold find. Thank you.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
After doing my own research on your recommendation I believe that you sir have introduced me to a major gold find. Thank you.
Nary a problem, Like i said, only downside, is the short shelf, and for me, thats not that much of a issue. Dont know what kinda arrows you prefer, But i buy the Feathered Vforce from primal, Between those and my self made wood ones, life is good. I am Just passing it on, Someone on this board (Junglecrawler) introduced me to Primal Gear, Have never looked back since.Love the simplicity.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Nary a problem, Like i said, only downside, is the short shelf, and for me, thats not that much of a issue. Dont know what kinda arrows you prefer, But i buy the Feathered Vforce from primal, Between those and my self made wood ones, life is good. I am Just passing it on, Someone on this board (Junglecrawler) introduced me to Primal Gear, Have never looked back since.Love the simplicity.
I prefer the ones I make.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
богдан;7978278 said:
I prefer the ones I make.
I prefer my self made arrows, I dont care for synthetic fletchings, I like the way feather flies.Ive had a bunch of different bows, from a wheelie Darton and a wheelie Bear, recurve from a heavy 70's bear to a handmade lil jon out of Maine, as well as a dozen or so over the years, had self made, and production, the PG is by far the simplest take down i have ever owned, My old bear wheelie had everything and then some added to it, the PG? flemish string and a loop. thats it. the bow is tough as nails. Put tha fun back in archery for me.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Unlike rifles or handguns, but kinda like shot guns, your dominant is most important archery. If you can close either eye to focus(you can learn this if you do not already) you can learn to shoot either handed, but you will be significantly better shooting off you dominant eye.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unlike rifles or handguns, but kinda like shot guns, your dominant is most important archery. If you can close either eye to focus(you can learn this if you do not already) you can learn to shoot either handed, but you will be significantly better shooting off you dominant eye.
Oh I absolutely agree. It's just a little tick I've always had. Constantly wanting to be able to do things both handed. Oddly enough though writting is neigh impossible for me with my left hand..... I can shoot fairly well left handed with only slightly less accuracy, that includes rifles handguns and shotguns. Not that pinpoint accuracy is too much of an important thing with shotguns.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I prefer my self made arrows, I dont care for synthetic fletchings, I like the way feather flies.Ive had a bunch of different bows, from a wheelie Darton and a wheelie Bear, recurve from a heavy 70's bear to a handmade lil jon out of Maine, as well as a dozen or so over the years, had self made, and production, the PG is by far the simplest take down i have ever owned, My old bear wheelie had everything and then some added to it, the PG? flemish string and a loop. thats it. the bow is tough as nails. Put tha fun back in archery for me.
Don't know anything bout those. Sound good tho..

My most recent bow is a short now
48 inches
50lb at 20 inches shoot a 21 inch cane arrow with 5 in foreshaft. With a Cherokee style bi fletch

I didn't have sinew or hide glueso I backed jt with fiberglass roll for drywall and water proof wood glue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts