Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain why gold took a big jump after downgrade and silver is just sitting there hardly moving----is silver more manipulated than gold? If so how is silver a good investment if they won't leave it alone.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I think that because of billions of silver ETF's which surpass the actual supply of physical silver, it, silver has become a proverbial "Silver Cow" that gets milked when prices go up. When silver prices rise people or entities holding silver ETF's sell, dropping the price which spurs the purchase of more physical silver and on and on until all or most of the "worthless" silver ETF's are sold. And I think that, that cow will continue to get milked for years to come. I am not claiming to be an expert by any means I just get that impression. I continue to buy silver at its lows, but I know that the big money players in silver can stop toying with us if they really wanted and buy virtually all silver in existence but then what, as the start to sell it all the price will crash, so it's better for them to continue to "milk" the cow instead of ripping off its udders all at once.
It's O.K. I am wearing my tinfoil Milspec hat.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
Eric Sprott talked about this in a recent interview. Apparently, when banks want to suppress gold, they attack silver, because the gold market is large and hard to move, and the silver market is much smaller. So silver gets pushed a lot because of the direct action against it, but gold only moves a little (or none when it's rising fast) because the action is indirect.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Gold is and (probably) always will be the "safe haven" currency. As dollar-valued investments (meaning: treasuries and everything else on the NYSE) go down, investors typically turn to gold to keep their money safe during these downturns.

Silver has been on a parallel path with gold for decades, but this has changed in the last year or two. Henrygt pretty much said one reason why. Here are some others:

- Silver has been so volatile in the couple years it's no longer considered as "safe" as gold. Remember back in April when silver hit nearly $50 an ounce and fell back to $35 a week later?
- It also has more industrial uses than gold and thus fluctuates with the markets more.
- Many people think silver is overvalued right now and due for a big drop (not sure I agree with this, but many do).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I've played the stock market most of my adult life and it has always been a crap shoot at best because the market is owned and manipulated by internationalist power brokers that use the market as their own private piggy bank. Metals are within that mix but as silver has many many more industrial uses than gold and still maintains its value as a hedge against the almost worthless FRN, i.e., inflated dollar however, the real reason to own silver today is because it has considerably more upside potential than gold which is the real reason to have and to hold. My last purchase was @ $11.22 18 months ago and even at this mornings $39 price it was still good enough for me to buy. Think about it, within a period of 18 months we have seen an almost 4 fold decrease in the value of the dollar. So, where are you gona put your money for the future?

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
I've played the stock market most of my adult life and it has always been a crap shoot at best because the market is owned and manipulated by internationalist power brokers that use the market as their own private piggy bank. Metals are within that mix but as silver has many many more industrial uses than gold and still maintains its value as a hedge against the almost worthless FRN, i.e., inflated dollar however, the real reason to own silver today is because it has considerably more upside potential than gold which is the real reason to have and to hold. My last purchase was @ $11.22 18 months ago and even at this mornings $39 price it was still good enough for me to buy. Think about it, within a period of 18 months we have seen an almost 4 fold decrease in the value of the dollar. So, where are you gona put your money for the future?
In my wallet!

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
I hope John is correct on this one as my primary PM investment is in silver and it is down large this AM while gold is still climbing.

I found this piece of advice on JWR's blog last night.

Monday's headline at the The Drudge Report proclaimed: BARACKALYPSE NOW. On Monday, following a losing week, stocks on the Dow dropped another 631 points. The spot price of gold jumped 3% to touch an all-time intra-day high of $1,720 per ounce, and then $1,723 in after-hours trading. And since silver is considered more of an industrial metal than gold, it drifted downward to just $38.65 per ounce. These atypical disparate moves in silver and gold brought the silver-to-gold ratio to a whopping 44-to-1. In my opinion, this is now a great time to ratio trade out of gold and into silver. And, FWIW, I've been taking my own advice on that, since Friday. (I was a busy boy at the gun show last Friday, buying guns and ammo as well as swapping several gold American Eagles for pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and halves.) If you've been dawdling, now is the time to get your family preparations squared away.

From Survivalblog.com John Wesley Rawles

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
I like diversification even in metals, own both Au and Ag.

On a side note; Very fasinating how Pt lost the lead here recently, first time i can remember this happening.

DS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts