Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my “beater” Remington 760 game master. It’s an old, probably a 1957-58 model. Not worth much from what I can tell and in good functional shape. Cosmetically the bluing is quite worn, looks like a previous owner steel wooled some rust off in a few spots. Would refinishing and adding a scope mount (receiver is not currently drilled) affect the value at all or does it not matter on such a common model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
It would do almost nothing to the value.
There’s not a real collectors market for those, so refinishing isn’t taboo.

And there’s not much of a used gun market either, for those guns.

if you want to sell it, wipe on some cold blue or spray paint a nice camo pattern on it. Tactical seems to be in style these days.

·
Plays best, alone
5,013 Posts
If the receiver isn't drilled and tapped, does it have a 3/8" dovetail for mounting a scope? I doubt bluing would be a problem other than cost.Perhaps you can cold blue the worn areas.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I took my old 760 to a gunsmith to be drilled and tapped and he said the steel on the top of the reciever is too thin, it wouldn't hold. So I glued a Williams Guide Receiver Site on the receiver and then had to install a taller front sight. Now it shoots more accurately and is faster to use than the open sights, and the rifle is a joy to carry because you can wrap your hand around the balance point.

·
Plays best, alone
5,013 Posts
I took my old 760 to a gunsmith to be drilled and tapped and he said the steel on the top of the reciever is too thin, it wouldn't hold. So I glued a Williams Guide Receiver Site on the receiver and then had to install a taller front sight. Now it shoots more accurately and is faster to use than the open sights, and the rifle is a joy to carry because you can wrap your hand around the balance point.
By glued, do you mean glue or something like JB Weld?

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
The rear sights on CZ rimfire rifles are "glued" to the barrel. It takes a good amount of heat and some percussive persuasion to remove them. The adhesive was a yellowish clear substance, not sure if it was some version of epoxy or what, but it was plenty solid.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Yes I have used JB weld to attach sights to several rifles, the oldest being the front sight on a Marlin 45-70 that I hauled around Alaska for a few years in the 80s. I still have the rifle and the sight is still hanging on.

I tried to attach a scope to my 760 but it was too heavy and recoil eventually broke it loose. The Williams Guide Reciever Sight (WGRS) is light and has a lot of contact area with the gun. I use the original formula, I have heard the fast set isn't as strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts