Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, lets say its a SHTF situation or a TEOLAWKI You bug out or bug in, you get setup pretty good, you've traveled light, what do you bring for reading material?

This may sound silly but I'm a FEROCIOUS reader what do you guys plan to bring for reading material? i could bring the bible, already read it two or three times over my life...but it would be neat if someone made one of those super fine print thin page books that collects all the classics or a couple thousand short stories. Just a thought, boredom can kill.

Secondly I have a Mossberg 500 with a smooth bore, I should not have a problem firing rifled slugs through it as the spin comes from the rifling on the slug? It's the sabot rounds that need rifling, yes?

-Rob

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I have my entertainment needs all set up. I have a small generator that only uses a gl. of gas at a time which will last 4 hrs. I have an extra car battery. I also have a solar panel that will recharge the battery or I can use my gen.
I have several inverters to use with the battery or plug my laptop into the gen.
Using the laptop, I can listen to music, play movies and I've downloaded so many books & manuals to keep me busy for a very long time! And if that's not enough, I'm old skool. I have video games to play on the laptop.
'Course, I'm buggin in. But even if I had to leave, I'd take the gen. and the battery and still be able to use my laptop (and yep, got the gas stored for the gen) or I could plug it directly into my truck.

And for those of you who have the color gameboys, you can get the movie attachment thing to watch movies on your GB and download books to read on your GB using a plug in sandisk.
If you have a PDA, you can dowlnoad books to it.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I have the entire dune series, and I'm okay with my weapons loadout

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sabot rounds fire just like any other round out of a shotgun. Shotguns do not need to be rifled at all. Shotgun shells are made (other than length of the shell) to universally fit their gauge. A 12 ga. lead powder shell will fire just the same as a rifled slug or 000 buck or even a sabot... The difference between sabot and rifled slug, of course, being the vaccuum created behind the round. Either one will decimate at shotgun ranges (probably not to exceed 100 yards of so, for accuracy purposes... heavy rounds make for odd trajectories). The only thing I would look at is the CHOKE on the barrel of your rifle. There are several chokes, ranging from Full to unimproved cylinder. You may want to speak with a gunsmith about barrel stress and high volume of fire when dealing with slugs or sabots through a choked barrel.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,665 Posts
I love buckshot but a slug will kill most anything....Improved chokes only

·
Red Neck American
738 Posts
if your mossburg, or any other shotgun, has a choke tube, best bet is goiong to a 'Cyl" tube or "Imp Cyl".
the reason, these tubes are a "Choke" tube. the mods, up to the xfull are much narrower then the 12 bore, and a slug must either deform to squeze through, or it must expand the barrel as it passes through. they are the only two options, thats the laws of nature.
the issue usnt if it will make it through, it clearly will, but chances are, after time, the choke tube will expand, stretch out of shape. then some time in the future, you decide to remove that tube and install a open choke to bird hunt. thats when you realize, the expanded tube is firmly seized into the barrel, and even in a vise, it aint gonna come out no more.
in fixed choke/solid barrels, that point is realized at youir next turkey shoot, when your full choke barrel, shoots a 40 inch pattern at 25 yards.
best option, get a slug specific barrel, and take the 3 minutes to change it out after your done 'sluggin' it can be the promary barrel as it will also serve well with buck shot loads, or as a **** em off charge with a scattering of #8 shot at 75 yards for the person trying to steal your new tires down at the barn.

·
Registered
314 Posts
unless it's an EMP or CME that devastates electronics, you can't beat a kindle loaded with books. If money is a problem, then just buy books using a kindle app until you have a library built up then buy the kindle at a later day.

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
I have quite a few books downloaded onto my tablet, and quite a few paperback books that I either get given or my parents buy.
If I had to pick just 1, it would be Lord of the Rings

·
Registered
176 Posts
K, lets say its a SHTF situation or a TEOLAWKI You bug out or bug in, you get setup pretty good, you've traveled light, what do you bring for reading material?

This may sound silly but I'm a FEROCIOUS reader what do you guys plan to bring for reading material? i could bring the bible, already read it two or three times over my life...but it would be neat if someone made one of those super fine print thin page books that collects all the classics or a couple thousand short stories. Just a thought, boredom can kill.

Secondly I have a Mossberg 500 with a smooth bore, I should not have a problem firing rifled slugs through it as the spin comes from the rifling on the slug? It's the sabot rounds that need rifling, yes?

-Rob

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.
A) Get an Ipad. You can fit as many books as you want on it and you can also use it to play games and music. Problem is that it uses electricity, so you're gonna need a method of recharging it. Every time my power goes out, I use the battery jump start pack I keep in my trunk.

B) Yes, the fins on the rifled slug cause the slug to spin so you use them in smoothbore barrels. There probably isn't anything dangerous with actually firing sabot slugs out of a smoothbore but don't expect to be able to hit anything with it either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.