Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I've got an iron sight SBR AR and rest have EOTECH and one Sig red dot I got for free, but am not too fond of.

I'm not a long distance sniper or would have long distance scopes. I used to have a super long distance scopes but they got stolen at a storage unit.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Let's come to an understanding before I ask my question.....

The AR platform is a very good home defense weapon. To that point, I guess I don't understand why some drop 24x scopes on the gun.

If we found ourselves in a horrible situation here in the ole USA, be it Civil War 2, or an invasion from an outside power.... how would you want your AR outfitted for sights? Let's not assume you own an AR.... Let's just be hypothetical.... that if you owned an AR....

For me, I am thinking someone would want their gun able to quickly engage in close quarters. Urban combat certainly isn't a place for a 24x scope, unless you are on a rooftop, shooting across town.

I wonder if open sites are the best. I wonder which are best and the most rugged?

1-6,8, or 10x quality LPVO with daylight nuclear bright Aimpoint style illumination, a FFP reticle that is usable up close at night backed by a strong WML even without batteries on 1x.

-NX8
-ATACR
-Vortex 1-10

those 3 come to mind right off.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Mine wears diamond back flip up sights and a Vortex 3X on a quick release mount. A quality quick release mount.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
1-6,8, or 10x quality LPVO with daylight nuclear bright Aimpoint style illumination, a FFP reticle that is usable up close at night backed by a strong WML even without batteries on 1x.

-NX8
-ATACR
-Vortex 1-10

those 3 come to mind right off.
In my experience, the NX8 has a pretty terrible eye box. I'd stress the Vortex Razor 1-10, and also add the Razor 1-6 and the Kahles 1-6. I'd also quibble at the need for FFP in a LPVO, but would agree with the spirit of this post. The correct LPVO is a game changer.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts

The AR platform is a very good home defense weapon. To that point, I guess I don't understand why some drop 24x scopes on the gun.

If we found ourselves in a horrible situation here in the ole USA, be it Civil War 2, or an invasion from an outside power.... how would you want your AR outfitted for sights? Let's not assume you own an AR.... Let's just be hypothetical.... that if you owned an AR....

For me, I am thinking someone would want their gun able to quickly engage in close quarters. Urban combat certainly isn't a place for a 24x scope, unless you are on a rooftop, shooting across town.

I wonder if open sites are the best. I wonder which are best and the most rugged?

Most of us don't live in urban areas though and a scope makes the AR a multi-purpose gun (hunting and defense), especially if you have one that you love. The scope goes off and on with a few twists, no big deal to take it off at night and put it back on in the field.

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
Dirt simple advice.... some that I intend to follow.

Thank you everyone!

I would suggest a red dot with a circle/dot reticle (otherwise known as the doughnut of death) for close up HD work. Much easier to pick up under pressure than just a dot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What flip up rear sight is compatable with a A-2 pinned front sight, it seems like the Magpul plastic rear flip up sight is a bit too tall when compared with the AR carry handle type rear sight.

I have a Midwest industries flip up rear that I haven't tried yet and I was wondering what others here are using with a A-2 front sight.

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
I use a flip up front sight and a carry handle rear two way ghost ring zeroed in at 25/100 yards, as that is the distances I would most likely be using it.

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
What flip up rear sight is compatable with a A-2 pinned front sight, it seems like the Magpul plastic rear flip up sight is a bit too tall when compared with the AR carry handle type rear sight.

I have a Midwest industries flip up rear that I haven't tried yet and I was wondering what others here are using with a A-2 front sight.
Which one are you talking about, the Magpul pro? I have MBUS sights with an A-2 FSB & they work fine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My fav set up I have in on my mk18. That is an EOtech XPS3 not EXPS that sits higher. I like the absolute co witness knights armament micro buis. that sit under the G33 magnifier nicely. i am thinking of changing the rear sight for the fixed 300m sight rather than the adjsutable on currently on there. . I dont really see needing it for shots beyond 300.

·
Goat Roper
1,222 Posts
Natchezz has the Bushnell Tac Optics Lil' P Prism scope, reg $250, for $150 right now.
08/21/2020

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Good solid folding sights that co-witness for anything 1X and compact folding sights for anything that’s wearing a magnified scope!

For those that haven’t tried the green dot optics yet you might should look into it!

SD

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a 1-4 with mbus flip sights, I tried red dots but I don't like them very much. if I need long range I've got 4-12 on my '06 and 4-16 on my 22-250

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts

Not everyone uses their AR for home defense or Boogaloo Fantasies.

The very reason that the AR is so popular is it's ability to swap different components to suit the intended use.

As they say, mission drives gear.

This being said, one is best served in a single AR platform to get a the best ou can afford illuminated 1-4x24 30mm (or 6x or 8x but eye box starts to suffer) scope on their AR. It will give you the give you the best sighting options from 0 - 500m. My second choice is a best you can afford small light QD co-witnessed red dot. My third would be an actual ACOG fixed power with a BDC.

·
Registered
787 Posts

IF???!

We're here, NOW!! And the enemy is using homegrown, freshly brainwashed Useful Idiots who think they understand Marxism.

If the Trijicon ACOG wasn't so expensive, I'd have 4 of 'em. Love 'em and they are real combat-worthy sighting systems, not magazine ninja or deerhunter sights.

A scope for a max range sniper rifle is another discussion, but within the combat range of 5.56 and most of 7.62, I love the ACOG. Doesn't matter if it's the latest gadget, it's still here and will continue to be used.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts